How To Fix a GroupMe Group Not Showing Up
Even though you can send direct messages, GroupMe is one of the best apps for group chatting. That’s why suddenly not receiving notifications about group invites or messages defeats the purpose of the app.
There are several ways to fix the issue with GroupMe groups not showing up, depending on the device you’re using and the cause of the issue. This article will outline the steps to repairing these problems on all devices and for all possible reasons.
Update the GroupMe App
GroupMe has both an Android and iOS app that you can find at the Google Play Store and the App Store. One of the most common problems when it comes to mobile apps is them not being updated to the latest version. That usually happens when the owner of the account doesn’t allow automatic app updates in their settings, but it might also be a glitch with the app itself.
Fortunately, patching this issue is quick and easy and probably the least demanding fix on the list. On iOS devices, just visit the App Store, search for the GroupMe app, and update it. Android users also need to search for the GroupMe app in the Google Play Store and update it.
Update Your Phone’s Operating System
Although your phone usually informs you when it’s time for an update, maybe you’ve overlooked it, unaware that it could pose a problem for some apps. Fixing this issue is just as straightforward as updating the GroupMe app. However, the location of the phone update settings differs between operating systems and even between phone versions.
Here’s how to update your Android phone:
- Make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi since the download could be large and use up a lot of your data.
- Go to phone “Settings.”
- Scroll down to “About Phone.”
- Select “System Updates.”
- Press “Check for Updates.”
- Tap “Update to Download and Install the Latest Android Version.”
To update the operating system on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Back up your data on iCloud, just in case.
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Tap “Software Updates.”
- Select “Automatic Updates.”
Check Group Notifications
If you’re not receiving GroupMe group notifications, it could be that they’re turned off entirely or only for a specific chat. That might’ve resulted from turning off notifications for all apps, for GroupMe, or another action.
If you’re having trouble receiving group notifications for all groups, here’s what you should do:
- Tap your profile icon in the GroupMe app.
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Under “Notifications,” enable “Group Message Sound” and “Direct Message Sound.”
- Check whether “Turn off all notifications” isn’t allowed.
For a specific chat, you can enable notifications:
- Navigate to the chat for which you want to allow the notifications.
- Select the three vertical dots at the top.
- Confirm that the “Mute” option is turned on or enable it if it’s off.
Here’s how to enable notifications for all group chats in GroupMe on your iPhone:
- Press your profile picture in the app.
- Open “Settings.”
- Navigate to the notification section and verify that they’re on, or press “Resume now” if they aren’t.
If you’re using the web version of GroupMe, you can turn on the notifications for all chats in this way:
- Press the cogwheel icon to enter “Settings.”
- Ensure that the notifications are turned on in the “Notifications” section.
To turn on notifications on the web version for specific chats:
- Navigate to the group for which you want to enable the notifications.
- Tap the group’s profile icon.
- Select “Settings.”
- Check whether the “Mute” button is turned off, and turn it off if it isn’t.
Check Phone Notifications
In addition to group notifications, the cause of your issue could be turned off app notifications. Even if the settings in the previous tutorial are enabled, they won’t make a difference if the app’s notifications aren’t allowed.
Here’s how to enable GroupMe notifications on Android:
- Go to your Android phone’s settings.
- Find GroupMe in the list of applications.
- Tap “Notifications.”
- Ensure the “Allow notifications” toggle is on, or enable it if it isn’t.
Turning GroupMe notifications on your iPhone requires these steps:
- Navigate to the iPhone’s settings.
- Find the GroupMe app.
- Enter “Notifications.”
- Enable “Allow Notifications” if the setting is off.
How do I join a group on GroupMe?
Joining a group on GroupMe is done through invitations. The invitation can be sent to any member of the group. But you can also enter via a link sent by anyone with access to the group. If the group admin has enabled “Request to join,” you might need to request access on top of the invitation.
How do I rejoin a group on GroupMe?
Rejoining a group on GroupMe is different from joining it. It involves navigating to the “Archive,” which is usually in the main menu, and selecting “Groups you left” (or “Chats you left” on iOS). Then, you need to choose the group you left and press “Rejoin Group” (or “Rejoin” next to the group you left on iOS).
Why can’t I join a GroupMe group?
You might not be able to join a GroupMe group for various reasons. Maybe the sender of the invitation has left the group. The sender and the recipient might also have blocked each other, making the invitation invalid. If the sender has written the wrong email domain while sending the invitation, you also won’t be able to join even though you’ll see the invitation.
Keep Chatting With Your GroupMe Contacts
GroupMe is an excellent app for staying in touch with your family, friends, coworkers, etc. If you experience any problems with groups or group messages not showing up, don’t panic. Start with the most straightforward fixes, like updating the app, and work towards more complex solutions if the previous ones don’t do the job.
Have you already managed to fix the issue regarding GroupMe groups not showing up? If so, which of the solutions above worked for you? Let us know in the comments section below.