Hollow Knight: How to Get Double Jump
It’s possible to finish the Hollow Knight campaign without the double jump ability. Still, as the game is a part of the Metroidvania genre, searching for the Monarch Wings that grant temporary flight, or more accurately, double jumps, is par for the course.
Maybe it’s because you are a completionist, or it might be that you want to move around with ease and prepare better for certain bosses. Either way, you are at the right place!
How to Unlock Monarch Wings (Double Jump) in Hollow Knight
The following two main steps will guide you through your journey to obtain the Monarch Wings.
Step One – Obtain the Crystal Heart Ability
You can find the Monarch Wings in the Ancient Basin, but it is essential to have the Crystal Heart ability beforehand. If you already have the Crystal Heart, you can skip directly to step two.
This step is a summarized version of how to obtain the Crystal Heart in this rabbit hole. As aforementioned, to get the Monarch Wings, you’ll need the Crystal Heart beforehand. To acquire the Crystal Heart ability, obtain the following three requisites:
The “Desolate Dive” Spell
You’ll find it in the city of tears as a reward for defeating the Soul Master.
The “Lumafly Lantern” Item
Sly the merchant sells it. First, you need to rescue Sly at the Forgotten Crossroads. Then, speak to Sly at the small village after you defeat the boss named the Gruz Mother.
The “Mantis Claw” Ability
To obtain it, you will first need to get the Mothwing Cloak ability. The cloak is a reward for defeating the boss named Hornet, found in Greenpath.
After acquiring the cloak, head towards the bottom west in Mantis Village, where the blockage of a wall is. Activate the switch found below that wall. Then, go east and jump up a platform to reach the place the switch unlocks. In there, you’ll find the Mantis Claw.
Once you have obtained everything from the list above, head towards the east bottom of Forgotten Crossroads and open your way to Crystal Peak. The Crystal Heart is further east from the entrance.
Step Two – Unlock the Monarch Wings
Here are the steps to obtain the Double Jump ability:
- Go towards the Ancient Basin.
- You must defeat a medium-difficulty boss named the “Broken Vessel.” It’s on the right side of where the Monarch Wings are.
- After defeating the Vessel, keep going further left. Eventually, you reach a fountain of moths. This fountain will bestow the Monarch Wings upon you.
Note that the Broken Vessel will perform the following attacks:
- Ground slams: after jumping, the boss will stay still over the player and slam against it. Then, it will release two globs of infection on both sides. Dash to avoid the slam and temporarily stand close by to the boss after it slams. You can counterattack right after a slam.
- Dash attacks: the boss does the dash both mid-air and on the ground after pulling its head up. To avoid the dash attack, get behind the boss while it’s dashing towards you, then attack back.
- Flail attacks: you will trigger these range-locked attacks by approximation. Hence, stay away from this range as these attacks aren’t dodgeable.
- Random infected balloons: the more balloons that spawn, the harder they get to destroy since they have strength in numbers.
- Jump attacks: the boss jumps towards the player and only damages after hitting you.
- Infection fountain attack: it involves bringing globs of infection to the arena. The infection fountain is one random but fast attack that you should avoid by keeping your distance from this boss.
To fight this boss, you should use Quick Focus, Spore Shroom and Desolate Dive. The latter is highly effective when the boss is creating infection blobs.
How To Use Monarch Wings in Hollow Knight
The wings help with platforming. Hence, to use the Monarch Wings properly, make good use of the double jumping ability it offers, even though these jumps are shorter than the default jump. Other than touching the ground, sliding down a wall using the Mantis Claw will also reset the jump count as well along with taking damage and bouncing off from enemies and objects, allowing you to double jump again.
For exploring, the wings will grant access to the palace grounds, white palace, fungal core, mask shard, and enraged guardian. Though the wings aren’t essential for getting to other places, they can be a good aid. These places include the Hive, the Hallownest’s Crown, the Watcher’s Spire, and the Kingdom’s Edge.
Go for the Win in Monarch Style
Sometimes games don’t leave us much choice except to search for solutions on the internet, as is usually the case when playing a Metroidvania game. Now that you’ve surfed the internet and found the way, it’s time to buckle up because you’re about to get your wings, so new adventures await you!
What Hollow Knight upgrade is your favorite? How do you like your new wings? Let us know in the comment section below.