How Does Honey Work? Does It Really Get Discounts for Free?
Shopping coupons are pretty useful things, especially when you are buying something you actually need. Unfortunately, most of the time you are not aware of what kind of sales promotions are available all over the internet. If you do search for that kind of stuff, you are basically wasting your time.
Instead, you should take advantage of specialized services that do this search for you. Not only that, but they can also focus on whatever products or services you might add to your shopping cart. The most popular app in this niche is definitely Honey. If you’ve ever wondered how it works, you will find all the answers in this article.
How Does Honey Work?
First of all, you need to understand that Honey is not actually an app in the common sense of the word. It is actually an extension that you add to your internet browser. It is available for most popular programs, including Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Apple’s Safari, and Opera.
Once you add Honey to your browser and start shopping, it will automatically search for available coupons online. Thanks to an extensive network of over 30,000 retailers, chances are it will find relevant coupons for almost anything you’re buying.
Here’s how it works:
- Visit one of your favorite online stores.
- Add items you plan to buy to your cart.
- Go to your shopping cart.
- Click the Honey extension icon in your browser. You can usually find it in the browser’s top right corner. The Honey pop-up menu will appear.
- Now click the Apply Coupons button. This will start the Honey search. It may take a couple of minutes for Honey to find the coupons for the items you want to buy. Once Honey finds the coupons that work, you will see the total amount of money you will save by applying them.
- Next, click the Continue to checkout button from the Honey menu. This will tell Honey to automatically apply all the coupons it found and will return you to your shopping cart.
- Now, all that is left to do is to complete your order on the website and that is it. You will see that the total amount you should pay has been reduced thanks to the coupons Honey found for you.
It is worth noting that sometimes when you click Apply Coupons Honey might inform you there are no available coupons for the products in your shopping cart. Regardless, you can force it to look for them by clicking Try Anyway.
How Does Honey Work with Amazon?
Considering there usually are not any coupons you can use for the entire Amazon store, you might think Honey is not able to help you. But you would be entirely wrong. Thanks to the set of tools Honey specifically developed to work with Amazon, this might prove even more useful than using coupons.
There are three features you can use with Amazon: Best-Price Detection, Price History, and Droplist. Please note that the Best-Price Detection and Price History features work only for Amazon.com. Unfortunately, at the moment, Droplist is available only for Amazon Canada at Amazon.ca.
The most interesting tool by far is Best-Price Detection. Although pretty self-explanatory, here is how this feature works for you. When you pick a product on Amazon and go to its page, click the Honey icon in your browser. If there are better deals for that same product, Honey will show it to you in a pop-up window.
Here, you will see the price of the item you are currently looking at and the price of the item that is cheaper. Of course, there will also be the amount of money you’ll save this way. Now simply select the cheaper item and click Add item into Amazon cart. And that is it. You just saved a couple of dollars, practically out of nowhere.
It is important to note that Honey is not looking at the base price value only. It will also take into consideration the shipping costs and any potential delays in delivery. Another great thing about Best-Price Detection is that it will automatically take into account any Prime shipping benefits you might have. Of course, if you’re currently looking at the best deal possible, Honey will confirm that for you as well.
Next, there is the Price History feature. This one tracks any changes in price for the specific item you are looking at. When you click this option, Honey will open a detailed page showing you the price changes for a set period of time. You can choose to track price history for the past 30, 60, 90, or 120 days.
Having all that information in front of you, you can spot any price fluctuation trends for that item. For example, the seller might have a discount on that item once every month. So, if you are patient enough, you can wait for the item to go on a discount and buy it then.
Finally, the Droplist feature brings another great money-saving option to Honey. Using Droplist, you can watch the drops in price for the item you plan to buy. Simply set how much you’d like to buy this item for, and wait for the price to drop. Once it does, Honey will notify you, allowing you to save money.
To make the most out of this feature, follow the few steps below:
- Search Amazon for the item you would like to buy.
- Open the item’s page. Hover your mouse pointer over the image of the item. Honey’s Save to Droplist button will appear. Click it.
- The Droplist menu opens up, giving you further options:
1. “Watching for” lets you set the number of days you’d like Honey to monitor the price on this item.
2. “Notify me at” allows you to set how much of a discount you’re looking for in percentages.
3. You’ll also see a couple of drop-down menus here. These allow you to choose the specifics for this item, like color, style, size, etc.
- Once you set all these options up, click Add to Droplist.
- With the item in your Honey Droplist, there’s even more you can do to customize its Droplist entry.
1. First of all, you can further edit all the options you have set in Step 5.
2. You can add your own tags to this entry to help you search your Droplist even better. For example, you can add a “my_birthday” tag. When you search your Droplist for this tag, it will show all the items you’re considering for your birthday present.
3. Also, there’s a link that will show you the history of price changes for this item.
4. And finally, you can go directly to your Droplist from the item’s entry. Simply click “View my Droplist” in the bottom left corner.
Once the item reaches the discount percentage you’re looking for, Honey will send you a notification. Now all that’s left to do is to act fast, so you can capitalize on that information.
Do You Have to Pay Honey for Coupons?
One of the greatest things about Honey is that it’s completely free. There’s nothing you need to pay for. Ever. Additionally, Honey doesn’t charge their users for obtaining these coupons for them. Their business case lies elsewhere, as you’ll find out in the next section.
How Does Honey Make Their Money?
As mentioned above, Honey doesn’t charge anything for getting you the coupons that save you money in the most convenient way possible. So, the question is, where does their revenue come from? The answer is simple – the commissions.
Whenever you buy something online using a coupon code you got from Honey, that sale registers with the retailer. Thanks to the software integration with their partners, Honey can claim a portion of that revenue.
This loop benefits everyone. You, the buyer, get a better price. The retailer makes a successful sale with the discount they’ve set themselves. And Honey takes their piece of the cake for connecting you.
Should I Install the Honey Chrome or Firefox Extensions?
The Honey browser extension is a universal piece of code that’s tuned to work with all the browsers it supports. The only difference is in the installation file for each browser. And that’s something that doesn’t affect your Honey experience at all.
So, considering all that, whether you’ll use Honey with Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is totally up to you. The best advice, in this case, would be to use Honey with the browser you’re most comfortable with.
Does Honey Sell Data About Me or Do They Respect Privacy?
Like any other app, Honey needs to collect certain information about your activities to be able to provide its service. In the case of Honey, this mostly includes your shopping habits and details on the products you’ve purchased. All that information is routed to their servers, making the service work as intended.
Like any serious business, Honey values the privacy of its users, which they’ve stated on several occasions. What’s more, it doesn’t seem they’re selling your personal data to third parties. If they did and people found out, that would seriously jeopardize their entire business.
Of course, you can always read their privacy statement yourself and decide whether their service is safe enough for you or not. You can find it on their website: https://www.joinhoney.com/privacy.
Who Owns Honey?
In the beginning, entrepreneurs Ryan Hudson and George Ruan founded Honey in 2012. From November 2012 to March 2014, Honey managed to attract 900,000 users. Thanks to the app’s success in saving money for their users, PayPal recognized this as a great opportunity.
In January 2020, PayPal decided to acquire Honey. This business move cost PayPal some four billion dollars. Definitely, money well spent considering the popularity of Honey’s service.
What Are Honey Rewards?
Honey’s free rewards program allows you to collect Honey Gold points from the purchases you make at the participating partner websites. With the network of more than 4,000 partners, getting Honey Gold is pretty easy.
When you’re planning to buy something online, always check your Honey browser extension. If that store is a Honey Gold partner, you’ll see a special entry in Honey’s pop-up window. In the “Today’s Rewards Rate” section you’ll see the possible rewards rate percentage and the button “Activate.” Once you click it, a random draw will decide what percentage of your subtotal will go towards your Honey Gold points.
To learn more about their rewards program visit their “What is Honey Gold?” page.
Saved by Honey
Now that you know how to take advantage of this simple browser add on, it’s time to start saving with Honey. And with such a great set of additional options, saving money while buying has never been easier. The best thing of all is that Honey is completely free forever. Just click away and save!
Have you managed to find any valuable coupons with Honey? How often does it help you when buying online? Please share your experiences in the comments section below.