How to Add Contacts in Signal
Are you just getting started with the Signal messenger? If so, you’ll likely want to know how to set it up, transfer contacts, and invite friends to join the app.
In this article, we’ll cover all the basics, from app installation to managing the contact list, sending messages, and changing your signal number. Plus, we’ll answer some of the most common Signal-related questions.
How to Transfer Contacts From Your Phone to Signal
The Signal app automatically adds contacts from your phone if you set the permissions correctly. Depending on the operational system of your device, there are two ways to sync the contacts.
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Navigate to “Apps & Notifications”, then find the Signal app and select it.
- Choose “App Permissions” and turn the Contact permissions on.
- Open the iPhone Settings app and find Signal settings.
- Shift the toggle button beside “Contacts” to allow Signal access contacts on your phone.
To refresh your newly updated contact list, click the “Compose” icon (the pencil) in your Signal app. Then, pull the contact page down. You may see a loading icon. The contacts have been updated now.
How to Invite Someone to Join Signal App on Android
If people from your contact list are already using Signal, they will appear in the app’s contacts automatically. You can invite others to join the app by following the instruction below:
- Open the Signal app on your phone and navigate to Menu.
- Select “Invite Friends” from the menu then tap on “Share.”
- On the next screen, choose from the available sharing options.
How to Invite Someone to Join Signal App on iOS
Sending an invite link using an iPhone is easy – you only need to follow three simple steps:
- Open the Signal app and click the compose message icon.
- Click “Invite Friends to Signal”, then select “Message” or “Mail”.
- Select the contact name and click “Done” to open the chosen app.
How to Edit Contacts in Signal on Android
You may want to change a contact’s name, photo, number, address, or other information. If you own an Android device, follow these instructions:
- To edit the contact’s name, the number has to be saved to your phone’s contacts app.
- Open the app and change the name. This step will vary depending on the phone model.
- The contact has to be saved on the internal storage of your phone, rather than a SIM card.
- The new contact name will now be shown in Signal. Beside it, you will see an icon of a person in a circle.
- To change a contact’s profile photo, change it in the Contacts app on your phone.
- Vice versa, if you want to see the contact’s Signal profile photo instead, remove the image that you have set in your phone’s Contacts app.
- To edit a contact’s number, change it in the phone’s Contacts app first.
- The contact has to be saved on your device’s internal storage, rather than a SIM card.
- Refresh the Signal contacts.
- To re-sync your contacts, open the Settings app of your device.
- Navigate to “Accounts”, then “Signal”, then “Menu”, and select “Remove Account”.
- A clearing data alert may be displayed. Your contacts will remain in place, ignore the message.
- Open the Signal app and press the Compose icon, looking like a pencil.
- Refresh the contact list by pulling the page down.
How to Edit Contacts in Signal on iOS
If you own an Apple device and want to manage your contacts, this guide will help.
- To edit a contact’s name, open your phone’s Contacts app.
- Change the name and save the updated information. The name in the Signal app will change automatically.
- To edit a contact number, change the number in your phone’s Contact app. Include the area code. Then, save the changes.
- Open the Signal app and click the Compose icon, looking like a pencil.
- To refresh your contact list, pull the page down.
How to Remove a Contact in Signal
To remove someone from your Signal contact list, deleting the phone number in your device’s Contact app is not enough. You will have to block the user in the Signal app. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Signal app and find a chat with a contact you want to block.
- Click on the header of the chat – either on the profile picture or on the name.
- Select “Block” or “Block this user” option.
- Signal will ask to confirm the action. Press “Block” once again, then “OK”.
- You can double-check whether the user is blocked by opening the chat again. A message indicating it should be displayed.
There are only three steps to unblock a user:
- Open Signal Settings by clicking on your profile icon.
- Select “Privacy”, then “Blocked Contacts”.
- Find the contact you wish to unblock and click “Unblock”.
How Do I Set Up Signal on My Phone?
To set up Signal on your phone, you have to install the app from your device’s App Market. Make sure that your device is updated to the latest version. Open the app and follow the instructions to register.
If you wish to use the Signal app desktop version it has to be linked to your phone. Signal can’t be used without a phone number. After installing the app on your mobile device and completing the registration, make sure your computer supports Signal Desktop. You need to have Windows 7 or above, macOS 10.10 or above, or Linux 64-bit supporting APT.
Then, download the Signal Desktop on your computer and link it to the mobile device, open the Signal app on your phone, navigate to Signal Settings, then to Linked Devices. Click Link New Device for iOS or the plus icon for Android. Using. Phone, scan the QR code that appears on your computer. Name the linked device and click “Finish”.
How Do I Send a Message Using Signal?
If you are using an iPhone, click on the Compose icon, that looks like a pencil, and select a contact from your list, or enter a new number. Type your message in the “New Message” field or press a plus icon to attach a file. To send the message, click on the blue arrow.
If you are an Android owner, tap on the pencil icon and choose a contact from your list, then type your message into the text input field. If you see “Signal message” written in the field, your communication is protected.
If you see “Unsecured SMS”, your messages are being sent through your mobile plan and aren’t encrypted. To switch between these modes, click and hold the arrow icon. For the communication to be protected, both you and your contact have to use the app and be in the Signal messages mode.
How Do I Change My Signal Number?
You can’t edit your mobile number in the Signal app, but you can remove your account and re-register with a new number. This can be done through the account settings. Press “Delete Account” and confirm, then uninstall the app. Install it again and register with a new number.
What Happens When I Block a User in Signal?
If you choose to block someone, they will no longer be able to see your profile. They will also be unable to send messages, call, or invite you to join groups. If you are in the same group, you won’t see each other’s messages. The contact won’t get a notification about the block. The contact will be deleted from the Signal contact list and you won’t get notifications from them.
If you block a group, you automatically leave the group. Members won’t see your name and picture. You can’t get any notifications and can’t be re-added to the group.
If someone has blocked you and you. Send them a message, the person simply won’t get it. The messages don’t get sent once the person unblocks you.
After you unblock a user, you can get notifications from them again, but only about new messages and calls.
Connect With Friends
Signal is a great app to keep in touch with your loved ones safely. We hope that this article has helped you to set up the app and manage your contacts. We also hope that you won’t need to block anyone! But in case you do, now you know how.
Have you had any problems with your contacts in Signal? How did you resolve the issue? Let us know in the comments section below.