How to Cancel Microsoft Office from Any Device
Microsoft Office is still dominant in most homes and offices worldwide, when it comes to business organization and productivity. But since Google Drive has many handy features too, it may occur to you to cancel your Microsoft Office subscription and try something else.
We will cover various scenarios in this article – it’ll walk you through canceling different Microsoft Office packages on various devices.
How to Cancel Microsoft Office 365 Business Subscription
Suitable for those who need to be in touch all the time and collaborate, even though they’re in different cities or countries, Microsoft 365 provides some excellent features in four updated plans.
But can you cancel if you’ve found something better for your employees?
Yes, but there’s a catch. If you haven’t assigned more than 25 licenses, you won’t have any issues when canceling your free trial or paid subscription. You only need to access the admin center, and that’s all.
If you’ve assigned over 25 licenses to your employees, you’ll need to contact the support center, and they’ll cancel your subscription.
To cancel it on by yourself, do the following:
- Ensure that you’re either a Billing or Global admin, if you want to cancel the subscription from the admin center.
- Remove the domain name if you added one at the beginning of your subscription. If you’re not sure how, you can visit the Microsoft Help Center to learn more.
- Open the admin center.
- Click on Billing.
- From this menu, choose the Your products page.
- Click on Products and find the desired subscription.
- Click on the three-dot icon to see more actions.
- Choose Cancel subscription and enter the reason why you’re canceling.
- Click on Save and you’re done.
Note that the subscription will not immediately disappear. It will decrease the number of features until it’s disabled completely.
How to Cancel Microsoft Office Free Trial on Android
While it’s possible to cancel your Microsoft Office subscription via your mobile browser and follow the previously described steps, you can also do it via the app.
Have you purchased Office from Google Play? Android users can access their subscriptions by following the instructions below:
- Go to the Google Play Store app on your mobile device.
- Tap the hamburger icon on the upper left corner of the screen.
- From the menu on the left, choose Subscriptions.
- On this list, find the subscription you want to cancel and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the action.
Note: There have been complaints about Microsoft 365 subscription not being available in this menu. If you can’t find it here, contact Google customer support or try canceling via your browser.
How to Cancel Microsoft Office Free Trial on iOS
iPhones and iPads: Cancel via iTunes
If you’re team iOS, this is what you should do to cancel your Microsoft Office subscription. You can do this on your iPhone or your iPad.
- Open the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Go to the iTunes & App Store.
- Tap on your Apple ID, you’ll see it on blue at the top of the screen.
- When the pop-up window appears, tap the first option: View Apple ID.
- Use your regular login credentials or other types of recognition to log in to the iTunes Store. Then, select Subscriptions to see the list of services you’re subscribed to.
- Find Microsoft Office on the list and select Cancel Subscriptions.
How to Cancel Microsoft Office Free Trial on a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC
The process works a bit differently on computers.
For Windows PCs
If your PC is running a Windows version, here are the steps to follow to cancel your subscription:
- Log in to your account.
- You’ll find yourself on the main dashboard. On the taskbar at the top, choose Services & subscriptions.
- Here, you’ll see Microsoft Office 365 and two options below: Cancel and Turn off Auto-renew. Click on Cancel.
- In the pop-up window, click on Confirm cancellation as your choice. This window will appear if your free trial hasn’t ended yet.
- On the next screen, you’ll see a notification that your subscription will not automatically renew. You can still use the suite until the free trial is over, even though you’ve canceled it.
If you also want to turn off auto-renew, go back to step three and click on ‘Turn off auto-renew,’ instead of Cancel. On the next screen, choose ‘Confirm cancellation,’ and that’s it.
Here’s how to cancel Microsoft Office on a Chromebook. If you have this device, you can buy products on the Chrome Web Store.
- Log in to Google Pay to see your orders.
- Scroll down to Microsoft 365, under Purchase history, and select Manage.
- Select the Cancel subscription option.
You won’t have to pay for the service in the future, and you may receive a refund under specific circumstances.
You can also try canceling via your web browser.
Here’s what the cancellation process looks like on Mac computers:
- Open iTunes on your Mac and log in if you haven’t already done so.
- Click on the Store tab on the bar at the top.
- Under Quick Links, click on Account.
- If you haven’t logged in during the previous steps, you’ll be asked to type in your Apple credentials.
- In the Settings section, navigate down to Subscriptions and choose Manage on the right.
- There are two sections on this page: active and expired subscriptions. You should see Microsoft 365 under Active, so click the Edit button next to it.
- Select Cancel Subscription at the bottom.
There’s one thing to bear in mind if you’re using Microsoft 365 on iOS devices. Typically, any subscription will automatically renew until you manually cancel it.
In many cases, you can use the software until your subscription period is over but be careful if you’re canceling in the middle of a free trial. Be sure to back up your data because it may become inaccessible.
How to Cancel Microsoft Office and Get a Refund
You may realize in the middle of a month that Microsoft Office isn’t for you. You’ve already paid for it, so you don’t feel like wasting your money. Is there a solution?
Actually, you can only get your money back under exceptional circumstances.
There are two scenarios where Microsoft will allow a refund:
- You can cancel a monthly subscription if there have been less than 30 days since the last time you renewed it.
- If you’re using the annual plan, you can cancel it during the last month of the subscription.
If you’re not sure if you’re eligible, you can contact the Microsoft help center to find out.
How to Cancel Microsoft Office Update
Sometimes, updates can cause issues on your computer. In other cases, it’s just you wanting to postpone an update until you’re ready to get used to the new stuff.
Whatever your reason is, here’s how to disable Microsoft Office updates.
- Open any Office app, like Excel or Word.
- Go to New and select a blank document from the options.
- From the taskbar at the top, choose File.
- Within the File window, select Account.
- From the menu on the right, choose Update Options.
- Click on Disable Updates and then Yes to save your changes.
If at some point, you wish to enable the updates again, follow the same procedure, but click on Enable Updates at the end.
After I Cancel Microsoft Office, Do I Have Access for the Rest of the Month?
As mentioned, you can keep using Microsoft 365 until your subscription expires. You will have a limited number of functionalities starting from the moment of cancellation.
However, you can also still use the basic ones. Even when you ask for a refund, you can use the suite until you receive the money. A refund then means you won’t be able to use the suite anymore. The moment your money has been refunded Microsoft Office goes back to the read-only status.
Saying Goodbye to Microsoft Office 365
There are numerous ways to cancel your Microsoft Office 365 subscription. You can call their customer service, do it in person, use the company website or mobile device apps. It’s also possible to do it from any device you may have.
If you’ve been using Microsoft Office for a while and you’d like to try something different or the software doesn’t work for you anymore, feel free to unsubscribe. Bear in mind that you may even get a refund if you choose your time right.
How did you choose to cancel your Microsoft 365 subscription? What will you use instead? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.