How to Check What GPU You Have
Being familiar with how powerful and fast the graphics processing unit (GPU) on your computer is important for several reasons – it helps you determine whether your device can support a particular app or a game. That said, if you purchase a game or an app that requires a GPU more powerful than the one you currently have, it either won’t work, or the graphic settings won’t be satisfactory.
To avoid such situations, it’s a good idea to check the GPU on your computer. However, the process of finding out what GPU your computer has depends on its operating system. So if you’ve been wondering about the GPU on your Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, or Linux, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to find out more.
How to Check What GPU You Have
Checking what GPU you have depends on the operating software your computer uses. But don’t worry, there’s no need to open up the machine. It’s possible to find out this valuable information with a few clicks.
How to Check Your GPU in Windows 10
If you run Windows 10 on your computer, there are several ways to check what GPU it has. But not many users know where they should click to find this information. Read the next section if you’re one of them.
Checking Your GPU on Windows 10 Using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
The built-in Direct Diagnostic Tool gives you detailed information about your machine, such as its GPU. To find out your GPU using this function, here’s what you need to do:
- Click on the Windows key in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Once you open the menu, type “dxdiag,” and hit “Enter.”
- If you see a pop-up message asking you whether you want to check the drivers (a piece of software that lets computer devices share information with each other), click “Yes.”
- Once a new window opens, you’ll see different tabs in the top part of the window.
- Click on “Display.”
- To check the GPU, look for “Manufacturer” and “Chip Type.”
Note: If your device has two GPUs, there will be two “Display” tabs.
Checking Your GPU on Windows 10 Using Task Manager
Another way to find out GPU on your Windows 10 computer is to use Task Manager. Here are the steps:
- Tap on the Windows key in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Type “Task Manager” and click on it.
- Head over to the “Performance” tab.
- Tap on “GPU” and you’ll see a model and the GPU brand in the top right corner of the window.
Checking Your GPU in Windows 10 Using Settings
The third way of checking GPU on a computer running Windows 10 is via “Settings.” Here’s what you need to do:
- Tap on the Windows key in the bottom-left part of the screen.
- Type “Settings.”
- Then, tap on “System.”
- Next, click on “Display” in the left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to “Multiple displays” and click on “Advanced display settings.”
- Look for “Display Information” and check your GPU.
How to Check What GPU You Have on Mac
If you have Mac, the steps for checking what GPU you have will be the same whether you use a laptop or a desktop computer. Here’s to find the information:
- Tap on the Apple logo in the top left part of the screen.
- Then, select “About This Mac.”
- You’ll see a new window pop up.
- The GPU information will be at the bottom of the window.
If you want to find out more details about the GPU, here’s how you can do it:
- Click on the Apple logo in the upper left part of the screen.
- Then, select “About This Mac.”
- Select “System Report.”
- Look for the “Graphics/Displays” section in the left part of the screen and click on it.
- You’ll see more details about your GPU on the right.
How to Check What GPU You Have in Ubuntu
Those who use Ubuntu as their operating system should follow the steps below to check what GPU they have:
- On your computer, click “Ctrl, “Alt,” and “T.”
- You’ll see a terminal on the screen.
- Here, type the following “lspci | grep VGA.”
- Click “Enter.”
- You’ll see data about your GPU.
If you’ve got two GPUs, the terminal will display information about both of them.
How to Check Your GPU in Linux
If you have Linux, there are several ways to check the GPU it uses. Take a look at them in the next section.
How to Check Your GPU in Linux Using the Command
This first way is relatively simple. Here’s what you need to do:
- Press “Ctrl, “Alt,” and “T” to open a terminal.
- In the terminal, type the following “lspci | grep VGA.”
- Tap “Enter.”
- You’ll see information about your GPU.
How to Check Your GPU in Linux Using the GUI
If your Linux-running computer has a GUI (Graphical User Interface), you can check the GPU with it. Here’s how:
- On a Gnome desktop, open “Settings.”
- Click on “Details.”
- Look for the “About” section and tap on it.
- Then, click on “Graphics.”
- Doing so will show you information about your GPU.
In the next section, we’ll explore some of the burning questions regarding GPU.
What’s a Graphics Card?
If you’ve been to the video game store recently, the shop assistants may have asked you about the GPU in your computer. You might have heard this term numerous times before as well, but what exactly does it mean? GPU stands for the graphics processing unit. The GPU is a graphic card’s processor.
Graphic cards are integral components of every computer that enable the production of images and graphics. In a nutshell, for your computer to handle intricate graphics of a video or a game, it needs to have a powerful graphic card.
Graphic cards are available in two formats: integrated and dedicated. Integrated graphic cards are already installed into PCs and are located on the motherboard. These graphic cards are also not as powerful as dedicated graphic cards. Moreover, most budget-friendly computers have them.
On the other hand, dedicated graphic cards are quite powerful and provide much better graphics. But, they’re also more expensive. But despite the cost, those who take part in gaming often prefer these cards. Dedicated graphic cards are often components of high-end computers and some high-end laptops.
How Do I Find My GPU Firmware?
To find out what type of GPU firmware you have on your Windows 10 computer, here’s what you should do:
• Use this shortcut to launch Task Manager: “Ctrl,” “Shift,” and “Esc.”
• Tap on the “Performance” tab.
• Scroll down to “GPU.”
• Look for GPU Firmware on the right part of the window.
To find out what kind of GPU firmware you have on your Mac, here’s what you should do:
• In the top left part of the screen, look for the Apple logo, and tap on it.
• Then, select “About this Mac.”
• The new window will pop up.
• Look at the bottom of the page. You should see the GPU Firmware information there.
What Graphics Card Should I Buy?
The choice of the graphics card you need depends on a lot of things. First, how do you primarily use your computer? Are you a graphic designer, an architect, or someone who wants to build a computer to play video games? If that’s the case, you need to get a more powerful graphics card, which is also quite pricey.
When looking for a graphics card for specific games, make sure to read the game specifications. This will help you determine what graphics card you need. A powerful graphics card ensures all games and photo editing programs you use provide you with good graphics.
Manufacturers known for making powerful graphic cards are Nvidia and AMD. Therefore, if you’re looking for a killer graphic card, choose between these two manufacturers.
On the other hand, if you use a computer for browsing the web, you probably don’t need programs that demand a powerful graphic card, which means then there’s no need to invest in an expensive model. Most likely, you won’t even need to purchase a new graphic card, as the one built in your computer will do the job nicely.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Powerful GPU?
Although there are many advantages of a powerful GPU, there are also a couple of disadvantages. Primarily, computers with a powerful GPU are much more expensive. Moreover, if you’re someone who uses editing or designing software or needs a computer for gaming, expect to pay a lot for a separate graphics card.
Furthermore, high-quality graphic cards tend to consume much more power, which might even result in higher electric bills if you use a computer often.
Know Your Computer
Being familiar with the integral parts of your computer, such as the GPU, can come in handy in various situations. However, checking which GPU your computer has isn’t intuitive. That’s why you can refer to this article any time you forget how to find out what GPU your device uses.
Moreover, knowing which GPU you already have can help you if you need to purchase a new game or editing software. Perhaps your computer already has a powerful graphics card, so there’s no need to invest in a new one.
Why do you primarily use your computer? Is it for surfing the web and watching movies? Or do you have a powerful machine you use for work? Share your experience in the comments section below.