How to Create a New Template in Notion
The right choice of templates in Notion can make you more productive. Whether you’re working on a team project, making appointments, or tracking your finances, having the ideal layout can help you organize your tasks much faster. Notion offers a lot of pre-made templates, but what if neither of them is quite right for you? Luckily, Notion allows you to create custom templates.
In that light, we’ll give you a step-by-step guide on creating new templates on different platforms.
How to Create a New Template in Notion on a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC
Adding your own templates on your PC is quite straightforward. The starting point of template creation is adding the template button to your page. Once you insert it, you can design your template according to your preference. To generate the template button and fill it with your content, here’s what you need to do:
- Click the ‘/’ backspace button on your keyboard. Then, scroll through the list and click on the Template Button in the dropdown menu.
- Rename your button using the Button name section.
- Start dragging items that you want to add to your template. You can include text, checkboxes, bullet points, headings, or anything else. You can even add sub-pages to your templates and duplicate the content when pressing the template button.
- Once you’re done creating, hit the Close button in the upper-right corner of the window. This will complete your configuration, and you can now press your template button to reach the content you created.
A good example of using your template button to facilitate content creation is adding items to your to-do lists. For instance, you can configure your template button to insert additional checkboxes to your list.
So, instead of manually creating checkboxes, you can click the template button, and a checkbox will appear. You can even adjust the position of your new checkboxes. For instance, if you place the template button on top of your list, the new checkbox will appear below it. On the other hand, positioning the template button as the final item on your list will create a checkbox above it.
How to Create a New Template in Notion on an iPhone or Android Device
Unfortunately, you can’t create new templates if you’re using Notion on a mobile device. This means that you’re restricted to the built-in templates for your pages.
However, there’s still a wide array of templates you can use that can fulfill many requirements. For instance, the Android version of the Notion app contains the following templates and many others:
- Meeting notes
- Reading list
- Job applications
- Class notes
- Lesson plans
- To-do lists
- Reading list
- Travel Planner
- Habit tracker
How Can You Edit the Content on Your Template Button?
Modifying the content your template button triggers is also quite simple on PCs. In fact, it’s almost identical to the template button creation process. This is what you need to do:
- Hover over the template button and press the gear symbol located to your right.
- This will open the configuration options. Make any changes you want, such as adding new items or deleting old ones.
- After you’ve made your final edit, pressing the Close button will autosave the changes you’ve made.
What Other Actions Can You Perform with Your Template Button?
Depending on the nature of your future work, you may need to use data from your template button on another page. Also, if you feel like you no longer need your template button, it’s useful to know how to delete it. Overall, you can access many template button functions in the following way:
- Hover over the template button and press the gear symbol located to your right. You can also right-click on the button to see the list of functions.
- Press the Comment option to leave comments on your template button.
- Press the Copy Link option to copy anchor links onto your button and enable you to paste them elsewhere.
- Press the Duplicate option to generate a button that will have the same functions.
- Press the Move to option to relocate the button to a different page.
- Press the Delete option to remove the template button. Think carefully before deleting your button since you’ll have to create one from scratch to use it again.
How Do You Generate Nested Content Templates?
Nested content refers to the type of content incorporated into another item, such as text, a picture, or a to-do list. You can create a template button that contains nested content this way:
- Design the content you want to duplicate.
- Drag the content onto a toggle list or a page.
- Generate your template button and place the toggle list or page in the Template segment of the configuration section.
- Press the Close button and move the template button to whatever area of the page.
Can You Create Weekly Agendas Using Notion Templates?
Since planning your week is an integral part of your personal and business life, coming up with a proper weekly agenda is crucial. Luckily, Notion has the right tool to help you design a perfect plan. Again, you can do so by customizing your templates. Here’s what you can do to create a weekly agenda using Notion:
- Generate an empty page.
- Create your template by pressing the + symbol and selecting the Template option.
- Insert the Start New Day feature to the field called Button name.
- Insert another page to your template field by accessing the options represented by the + symbol.
- On your new page, add the Day (DATE) option instead of Untitled. Since this is a template page and not an actual page, anything you insert on it will be duplicated whenever you press your template button.
- Add whatever items you want to the page, depending on what your days need to include. For instance, you can choose to display your calendar, notes, and daily tasks.
- Return to the Weekly Agenda page.
- Finally, you can press Start New Day every morning. This will create a template that you can fill out with your daily tasks and other items.
- You can also see an overview.
Your Options Are Endless
Now that you know how to create new templates in Notion, there’s no need to stick to the preset ones. The addition of the template button enables you to modify your workspace in a multitude of ways. As a result, you can design your templates in a way that ensures your productivity and efficiency both on a business and a personal level. As you get better at creating templates, you’ll start discovering new methods of keeping all your obligations organized properly and under control.
Have you tried your hand at creating new templates in Notion? Did you use them to make customized to-do lists, weekly planners, or something else? How have custom-made templates helped you cope with your daily tasks? Let us know in the comments section below.