How to Crop a Picture
If you’ve evertaken a photo that doesn’t look right or you simply think there’s too muchgoing on, the simplest solution is to crop it. Cropping a photo is a great wayto get a brand new picture from an old image.
How to Crop a Picture in Word
If you useMicrosoft Office regularly, you must have had a need to add pictures toemphasize or strengthen a document. Even though Word is primarily a texteditor, the newer editions have improved the image editing capabilitiessignificantly.
To crop animage in Word, follow these steps:
- Insert the image you want to use (Go to Insert, then Picture, then find the image on your device).
- Select the image, then go to the Picture Tools tab on the toolbar on the top.
- Select Crop.
- Drag the corners to make a selection of what you want to keep. The greyed out part of the image (the one outside the bolded borders) will be discarded.
- You can also right-click on the picture and then select Format Picture. In the Crop tab, you can select numerical values for your picture’s size and offset. Numerical values are helpful if you know the final dimensions you want to crop the image to.
- The new image can be saved on your PC by copying the selected new image and pasting the result in Paint. Microsoft Word will keep the entire original image as a backup.
- You can edit the image later or change its position in the document.
How to Crop a Picture in PowerPoint
Anothercomponent of MS Office, PowerPoint offers a similar solution to croppingimages:
- Insert the image you want to use.
- Select the image, then go to the Picture Tools Format tab on the toolbar on the top.
- Select Crop.
- Drag the corners to make a selection of what you want to keep. The greyed out part of the image (the one outside the bolded borders) will be discarded. Press Enter or click away from the image
- You can also right-click on the picture, then select Format Picture. In the Crop tab, you can select numerical values for your picture’s size and offset.
- The new image can be saved on your PC by copying the selected new image and pasting the result in Paint. PowerPoint keeps the entire original image as a backup. You can re-edit the picture later or reposition it.
How to Crop a Picture in Photoshop
Cropping apicture in Photoshop might look daunting considering its vast menus, but the basicprocedure is quite simple:
- Select the Crop tool in the toolbar.
- The crop selection edges will appear on the image. Drag the edges or make a new crop selection by dragging your mouse.
- You can specify the size of your cropped area or its aspect ratio in the menu options on the right.
- If you enable “Delete Cropped Pixels,” Photoshop will remove the parts outside of the crop area.
- Press Enter/Return to finish cropping.
Photoshop canalso fill the cropped area with content-aware pixels (available on Photoshop2015 and newer). This can be done directly from the crop menu. Photoshop willintelligently fill the missing areas to the best of its abilities.
Also,Photoshop can distort or straighten an object after cropping. Distorting isuseful if an item is shot at an angle. For example, if you take a picture of abuilding from the ground, the top edges will appear closer than the bottomedges. To correct that in a crop, follow these steps:
- Hold down the Crop tool in the toolbar.
- Select Perspective Crop.
- Draw the crop area around the object, matching the edges of the area with the object’s rectangular edges.
- Click Enter (or Return on a Mac) to finish cropping.
How to Crop a Picture Into a Circle
You can alsouse Photoshop to crop the image into a circle:
- Open the image in Photoshop.
- In the Layers screen, press the lock on the layer with the image. This will rename the image layer from the Background Layer to Layer 0 (This is done because you can’t add transparency to a background layer).
- Select the Elliptical Marquee Tool from the Select Menu in the toolbar by right-clicking the Selection Tool.
- Draw your selection outline. Resize it and move it as needed.
- Go to the Select menu in the top bar and select Inverse. This will select everything outside of the selection area.
- Remove the selected area by pressing Backspace on Windows, or Return on Mac.
- Go to the Select menu again, then press Deselect.
- Go to the Image menu and then Trim.
- In the Trim pop-up window, select “Transparent Pixels” and make sure that all four checkmarks on the bottom are checked.
- Click Ok. Photoshop will now trim the image into a square with a circular image and transparent edges.
- Click on File, then Save as. This will save the image. Select PNG as the format to save in. PNG is a format that allows the transparency to work.
How to Crop a Picture on Android
If you want tocrop a photo you’ve just taken, Android makes that easy. Follow these steps:
- Open Gallery.
- Tap on the image you want to crop.
- Select the Edit option (second on the bottom menu).
- Tap Crop.
- Drag the crop selection borders as you want them. You can press Reset to clear changes and return to the unedited image.
- Additional options are available on the bottom, such as keeping the aspect ratio of the original image, cropping the image to fit a particular aspect ratio, or rotating or mirroring the image.
- Press the checkmark on the bottom to confirm the selection. Press Cancel to discard the changes.
How to Crop a Picture on an iPhone
Croppingphotos on an iPhone is just as easy. Follow these steps:
- Open the Photos app.
- Select the image you want to crop.
- Tap Edit on the top right.
- Select the Crop icon on the bottom menu.
- Drag the selection borders.
- Alternatively, you can press the aspect ratio button on the bottom right corner. This will allow you to select the desired aspect ratio of the image to crop to.
- When you’re finished cropping, press Done on the bottom right.
How to Crop a Picture on a Mac
If you want todo some quick image editing on your Mac, the Photos app is there for you. To crop a pictureusing Photos, follow these steps:
- Open Photos to see your image gallery and select the image you want to edit.
- Double click to open the image.
- Click Edit in the toolbar.
- Select Crop.
- You can draw a crop selection or choose an aspect ratio from the right menu to force an image into a ratio of your choice.
- You can straighten the image by using the number dial to the right.
- Once you’re done, select Done on the top right to save your changes. If you want to start over, press Reset instead.
How to Crop a Picture Into a Circle
You can usePhotos to crop a picture into a circle. When selecting Crop in Photos’ Editmenu, select Elliptical Selection. Then you can draw a circular crop selectionto work with.
How to Crop a Picture on a Windows PC
Microsoftrecently came up with an upgrade to its long-standing Paint application calledPaint 3D. You can use this tool to easily crop images. Follow these steps:
- Open Paint 3D and select the image you want to use.
- Select Crop on the toolbar.
- Draw the crop selection as you want it.
- Alternatively, select the aspect ratio you want the cropped picture to have and let the program do the rest.
- Press Enter to finish.
- Save your image by pressing Menu, then press Save as. Select to save as an image.
How to Crop a Picture Into a Circle
Unfortunately,Microsoft hasn’t made a straightforward solution to crop an image into acircle. However, there is a workaround using Paint 3D. Follow these steps:
- Open the image in Paint 3D.
- Click on 2D Shapes.
- Select a circle on the right menu.
- Draw the selection where you want it on the picture.
- Increase the thickness of the circle in the sidebar to make it into a ring. Make it colored white as well.
- You can move the ring around or adjust its size by dragging the corners of the selection. Press Shift while dragging for better results.
- Once you have a ring outlining your desired image, crop the image in a square around it. You only have to make sure that the inner part of the ring is inside the cropped area.
- Click on Brushes in the toolbar, then select the Eraser tool from the sidebar.
- Remove the excess parts of the image (the parts outside the ring).
- You will now have an image inside a white circular background. To make the background transparent, follow the next steps. Otherwise, save the image.
- Select “Magic select” on the toolbar.
- Click Next on the right.
- Since the background is white, Paint 3D will automatically select it as the background.
- Select “Autofill background” to make it transparent.
- If you still see white splotches around the image, select the image. Resize the canvas around it by moving the selection square outwards.
- Resize the image to cover the white parts.
- Save the image (press Menu, then Save as).
While thisisn’t the most efficient way, it works and you don’t need to install anythird-party software to do it.
How to Crop a Picture on a Chromebook
Chromebook’sdefault editor does a pretty good job, including cropping the image. Simplyfollow these steps:
- Open your Gallery.
- Select the image you want to edit.
- Right-click and select “View and edit.”
- Select the Crop option from the toolbar.
- This will allow you to draw a crop selection as usual.
- Save the image when you’re done editing.
You will needdedicated image editing programs for more complex edits, but simple crops canbe done on any device without hassle.
How to Crop a Picture Using an Online Web Service
There is a myriad of options to choose from online to crop your images. One of those is the imageonline.co. This site allows you to upload your photo, easily crop it with a crop selection, and then download it in the format of your choice for offline use.
Additionally, this tool also has an option for cropping an image into a circle. Simply upload the image, draw and move the circle selection, select Crop Image on the bottom, then download the picture when it’s done.
A quick Googlesearch can give you additional options to choose from.
Cropped to Perfection
When editing animage, cropping it is perhaps the most common for most people. It’s animportant tool for any hobbyist or professional artist, so it’s essential toknow just how you can do it on any device.
Which croppingoptions do you prefer? Do you like circular crops? Leave a comment down belowto share with the community.