How to Find Unread Emails in Gmail
Unread emails in your Gmail account can sometimes get buried under the pile of other messages. As a result, every time you open your Inbox, there will be a message saying you have some unread emails, but you can’t locate them. So, how do you find unread emails in Gmail?
In this entry, we’ll give you several ways to reveal your unread emails in Gmail.
How to Find Unread Emails in Gmail
You can find your unread emails using your browser with just a few clicks:
- Go to your Gmail account and navigate to the “Settings,” represented by the gear icon.
- Choose “See all settings.”
- Select the “Inbox” section.
- In the “Inbox Type” part, select “Unread First.”
- Select the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page, and you’re all done.
How to Find Unread Emails in the Gmail App
Most people use Gmail on their phones, which is why it’s useful to know how to find unread emails in the Gmail app:
- Open the Gmail app and go to the menu represented by the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner.
- Keep scrolling to the bottom of the menu until you locate the “Settings” symbol.
- Select “Settings,” and you’ll access all the accounts you’re currently using. Choose the account you want to manage.
- This will open another list of settings. Scroll down to access the “Inbox” section. Select “Inbox Type” and press the options.
- Choose the “Unread First” button. As a result, your unread messages will be displayed first in the “Inbox. “
How to Find Unread Emails in Gmail on iPhone
Reaching your unread emails on an iPhone is also quite simple:
- Open your Mail app and press the “Mailboxes” button.
- You’ll see all the accounts to which you’re signed in. If the “Unread” option isn’t shown, press the “Edit” button. This should bring the option to the screen.
- Hit the empty circle next to the “Unread” button to enable the unread view. You can also drag the button with the handle on the right edge and bring it near the top of the list to make it more accessible.
- Hit the “Done” button, and you’ll be able to see all unread emails from your account.
How to Find Unread Emails in Gmail on Android
We’ve already mentioned one way you can check your unread emails in the Gmail app, but here’s another method for your Android device:
- Open your Gmail app.
- Tap the section that says “Search in emails” at the top of the screen.
- Type in “is:unread in:inbox” and press “Search.”
- All your unread emails will appear on the display.
How to Find Unread Emails in Gmail in a Folder
Folders in Gmail are also known as labels. To find your unread emails under a label, you’ll first need to create one. Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Type in “is:unread” into the search box and hit “Enter.” This will reveal all your unread messages or threads with unread emails.
- Choose the “Create Filter” option from the search box menu.
- Check the “Apply the Label” function and choose “New label.”
- Type in the name of your label. In this case, you can enter “Unread.” Press the “Create” button.
- Hit “Create Filter” to save your changes and apply your filter. To finish, check the tick box to the right to set the filter to your unread messages.
How to Find Unread Emails in Gmail in the Primary Tab
Using the “Primary” tab to find your unread emails can also be done with the help of the “Search “bar:
- Enter your account and navigate to the “Search” bar.
- Type in the following line: “label:unread category:primary”.
- Hit “Enter,” and you’ll now see your unread emails in the “Primary” tab.
How to Refine Your Search on Gmail
There are several methods of refining your search on Gmail. You can set the program to find emails from certain people, dates, or set other parameters. Here are some examples:
- To make Gmail show unread messages between, say, December 28, 2019, and January 1, 2020, type in the following command in the search box: “is:unread before:2020/1/1 after:2019/12/28”.
- To check out unread messages from a specific email address, enter this line: “is:unread from:[email protected]”.
- You can also search your emails by a certain name: “is:unread from:Mark”.
Here are some more useful details about managing your unread emails in Gmail:
How Do You Mark Something as Unread in Gmail?
There are multiple ways of marking a message as unread in Gmail:
Marking a Message as Unread with the Toolbar on an iPhone or Android
• Open the email you wish to mark as unread. You can select several messages at once. To do so, tap the symbol in front of the message or press and hold the email until it’s checked. Then, choose more emails to include in the collection.
• Hit the “Mark Unread” button in the “Toolbar.” If you mark an email as unread while reading it, the app will go back to the email list with the email marked as new.
Marking a Message as Unread by Swiping
• Go to the menu in the top-left corner.
• Go to “Mail Swipe Actions.”
• Hit “Left Swipe” or “Right Swipe.”
• Select “Mark as read/unread.”
• Return to the “Settings” section and hit “X.”
• Go to your “Inbox” and swipe over an email until “Mark Unread” appears.
• Release the message, and that’s it.
How Do I Get My Unread Emails in Gmail at the Top?
Here’s how to show your emails at the top of the “Inbox”:
• Go to the Gmail page and select the gear-shaped icon in the top-right corner.
• Press the icon to access the “Settings.”
• Under the “Inbox Type” menu, choose “Unread First.”
• Return to your Inbox and access the options represented by the three vertical dots in the same line as the word “Unread.”
• A list of options will appear. To select the number of items you want to appear on the page, choose either “50 items,” “25 items,” “10 items,” or “5 items.”
How Do I Read Emails on Gmail?
This is how you can read your Gmail messages:
• Go to the “Inbox “and select the tab that holds the type of message you wish to see. You should find the most important messages on the “Primary “tab.
• Choose the message you wish to read and click anywhere on the email’s line.
• The entire text of the message will now appear.
• To return to your Inbox, hit the “Back to Inbox” option above the email.
How Do I Unsend Emails with Gmail?
The unsend option is automatically enabled on Gmail, but it gives you a very small timeframe to reverse your decision. To make the process more practical, you need to adjust the timeframe:
• Hit the “Settings” button and press the “See all settings” tab.
• Find the “Undo Send” section and select your ideal timeframe. Choose between 30, 20, 10, or 5 seconds.
• When you wish to unsend an email, find the “Undo” option in the “Message Sent” window and press it.
Track Them All Down
You finally know how to locate all your unread Gmail messages in one place. Regardless of your device, you’ll now have an easier time managing your Inbox and minimizing the chances of missing a crucial email. So, get to work and see if any important emails may have skipped your attention.