How to Open a DjVu File
If you haven’t had a chance to use DjVu files before and are just now encountering them, DjVu is a file format for scanned document storage. One huge benefit here, compared to PDF, is the format’s higher compression.
However, the main problem with DjVu files is that you can’t open them unless you use a specific program that supports the format.
In this article, we’re going to discuss how to open DjVu files across devices.
How to Open a DjVu File
First things first – to open a DjVu file, you have to use third-party software. Yes, this means that your device isn’t equipped with the toolset necessary for opening this file format by default.
So, let’s see which third-party software is best for DjVu files by device type.
How to Open a DjVu File on Mac
macOS isn’t famous for third-party app support, which is not a bad thing, as only the best apps make it through to the platform. For DjVu files on Apple computer devices, desktop or laptop, we recommend using Cisdem Document Reader. This app supports DjVu files and also PDF, WPS, WPD, XPS, OXPS, and VISIO. Here’s how to open a DjVu file using this tool.
- Download the app installation on Cisdem’s official website and install it.
- Open the app and click Open File. Then, select the DjVu file that you want to view. Alternatively, drag and drop the file into the app window.
The app will automatically import the file. If you want to add more files, press the plus icon in the app’s upper-right corner. This will open a new tab for the new DjVu file.
How to Open a DjVu File on Windows 10
Unlike Apple computers, Windows desktop and laptop devices have various DjVu file reader apps to choose from. With such a variety of apps, however, comes a difficulty of choice. The easiest-to-use and the most straightforward app for DjVu files on Windows 10 is Sumatra PDF. Although this is primarily a PDF-centric program, here’s how to use it to open and view DjVu files.
- Download the app from Sumatra’s website and install it.
- Open the app and select Open a document.
- In the pop-up window, find and select the DjVu file that you want to view. You can also use the drag-and-drop method.
How to Open a DjVu File on Chromebook
Chromebook devices are mostly limited to in-browser functions. Thankfully, there’s a Chrome extension called DjVu Viewer and Reader that you can install on Google Chrome. Here’s how.
- Install the DjVu Viewer and Reader extension (go to the extension’s page and click Add to Chrome).
- Go to chrome://apps/ and open the DjVu Viewer and Reader app.
- In the extension’s tab, either drop the DjVu file using drag-and-drop or click Choose File and select the target file from the pop-up dialog window.
How to Open a DjVu File on iOS
Whether you’re using an iPhone or iPad, the principle works the same. Let’s see how you can install the DjVu Reader app on iOS and open your DjVu files.
- Open App Store on your iOS device.
- In the search bar, enter “djvu reader.”
- Select the DjVu Reader entry and tap Get to download and install it.
- Start the app by tapping Open in the App Store, or navigate to your app list and start the app by tapping its icon.
- Select the Documents entry and find the DjVu file that you want to open.
- Tap the file in question.
How to Open a DjVu File on Android
Compared to Apple, Android phones and tablets, like Windows devices, have a variety of DjVu reader apps to choose from. The most optimized of the bunch is FullReader for Android. Installing this app works the same as installing any other Android app.
- Open Google Play.
- In the search bar, type “fullreader for android.”
- Tap the FullReader entry and tap Install. The app will download and install on your device automatically.
- Run the app from Google Play or the home screen.
- The app should automatically find the list of DjVu files on your device.
- Find the file that you want to open and tap it.
How to Open a DjVu File on Linux
Opening a more-obscure file format like DjVu on Linux devices is doable, but it involves using code or some apps that may no longer be available. You can find more information on the subject and the code for opening DjVu files on Linux here.
How to Open a DjVu File for Free
Every tool/app recommended thus far is a free tool. Some of these tools/apps have paid versions, but they do not pertain to opening and reading DjVu files.
How to Convert a DjVu File
Although the mentioned tools allow you to view DjVu files, the DjVu extension might not be ideal for accessing document information across devices. PDF files are heftier than equivalent DjVu files, but converting the former into the latter will help you access the file information on pretty much any device on the market. The best way to do this is with this web app.
- Go to the app’s website.
- Click UPLOAD FILES. Alternatively, you can use the drag-and-drop function to drop your DjVu file into the browser window.
- Once uploaded, the DjVu file will automatically be converted to PDF.
- Click DOWNLOAD ALL to download the PDF version of the DjVu file.
You can also use the same method to upload, convert, and download multiple DjVu files using this platform.
Are DjVu files safe?
Like any other file (including PDF), DjVu files can be injected with malicious content. This is not to say that you should steer clear of these files. DjVu is an excellent file extension that allows the user to store a lot of compressed content in one place. So, like with any other file, be careful whom you get your DjVu files from, put them through an antimalware, and don’t download any files unless they’re from trusted sources.
Can you convert DjVu files to PDFs?
Yes, absolutely. There are many DjVu-to-PDF conversion tools available online. We recommend the method described in How to Convert a DjVu File above.
What is the best DjVu reader?
The best DjVu reader doesn’t exist, seeing as the availability is subject to the many platforms used. In our opinion, the best DjVu reader for each available platform is the one we’ve singled out. They are free, easy to install, and very straightforward.
Is DjVu better than PDF?
DjVu can’t be adjudged “better” than PDF overall. Whereas the former is much easier on storage (smaller file size), it also has a lower resolution as a compromise. Still, most of the time, DjVu files are perfectly legible and easy to read, making them a great alternative to PDF.
Working with DjVu Files
We hope that this article has helped you open and view your desired DjVu file using your platform of choice. We are certain that the tools and apps that we’ve mentioned align perfectly with your high standards.
If you are having problems with any of the mentioned tools or can’t find your preferred platform on the list, leave a comment below and we’ll try to help you as soon as we can.