How to Open a DXF File
Files that have a DXF (Drawing Exchange Format) extension are usually drawings or vector images. Autodesk is one of the most significant industrial design platforms and has developed a software solution called AutoCAD that architects and civil engineers predominantly use. Everything you create in AutoCAD you can save in two file formats, DXF and DWG.
In this article, we’ll explain how to open a DXF file in various programs and the tools that you might find useful to do so. In addition, you find out more about how DXF files work.
How to Open a DXF File
Opening a DXF file is not always the most straightforward process. Since there can be various files with the same extension, you’ll have to make sure you know which one you have. By learning more about the file, you can find the right way to open it.
How to Open a DXF File in AutoCAD
One of the best ways to import a DXF file is by using any of the Autodesk software solutions. If you’re using AutoCAD, the process is relatively straightforward:
- Open AutoCAD.
- Click on the “File” menu and click “Open.”
- In the dialog box, select the DXF file type.
- Find the file you’d like to open.
- Click “Open.”
How to Open a DXF File in Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator is another tool that you can use to open any DXF file. Here’s how it works:
- Open Adobe Illustrator on your computer.
- Highlight the file and drag it in Illustrator.
- Before you open the file, there will be a pop-up asking you about the object’s scaling.
- Click on “Original File Size.” Now you can see and edit the file.
How to Open a DXF File Without AutoCAD
You can open a DXF file without Autodesk’s programs or with an AutoCAD alternative program. Here’s a list of some of the software programs that work well with DXF files:
- Adobe Illustrator
How to Open a DXF File in SolidWorks
SolidWorks allows its users to import DXF and DWG files while creating a new SolidWorks drawing. Here’s how to process works:
- Open SolidWorks.
- Click on “File” and “Open.”
- When the dialog box pops up, browse a file, and click “Open.”
- This will open a DXF wizard, and there, you need to click “Next” to continue with the process.
- Tap on “Finish” to import the file and start using it.
How to Open a DXF File in Inkscape
Inscape is a freeware vector software program that offers a similar toolset to Adobe Illustrator. Since every engineer or artist can encounter a large variety of files, it was necessary to develop tools to open them all and use them in Inscape. Here’s how you can open a DXF file using Inkscape:
- Load your file and save it in a designated folder.
- Open Inscape on your computer.
- Click on “File” and “Import.”
- In the dialogue box, change the file type to “DFX.”
- Locate your file on your computer and click “Open.”
- In the dialogue box, choose the scale and character encoding for this file and click “OK.”
- Click on “File” and tap “Save” to name your document and save it in a new format.
How to Open a DXF File in Revit
Here’s how you can open a DXF file in Revit in a few simple steps:
- Open Revit.
- Click on “Insert” and “Import.”
- In the dialog, select the DFX file type.
- Go to the folder where the file is located and select the DXF file.
- Specify your desired options.
- Click “Open.”
How to Open a DXF File on Windows
If you need to open a DXF file on Windows, the best solution is to install a simple DXF Viewer. You can easily download it for free, and once the installation finishes, use it to open any DXF file you have.
How to Open a DXF File on Mac
DXF can work with various platforms and concepts. If you want to use it on your Mac, you’ll either have to install one of the software programs we’ve mentioned or an eDrawings Viewer. It’s a useful tool that lets you access specific files and open them in high resolution.
How to Open a DXF File on iPhone
Should you want to open a DXF file on your iPhone, you can do it through AutoCAD mobile app. Of course, this app doesn’t come with advanced tools like the desktop version of the program, however, it allows you to see files and add minor changes. Here’s how you can install it:
- Open Apple Store.
- Browse for the AutoCAD mobile app and tap on “Get.”
- Once the installation process finishes, you can tap on the app icon and open DXF files.
How to Open a DXF File on Android
When you’re on the go and need to review essential DXF files, it can be useful to have a viewer on your Android phone. With a Schemata CAD Viewer DWG/DXF, you can easily access your drawing whether they’re on your tablet or Android phone.
Here’s how to open a DXF file on your Android phone:
- Open Google Play Store.
- Locate Schemata CAD Viewer DWG/DXF and click “Install.”
- Once the installation is over, you can use it to open any DXF file you have on your phone.
How to Open a DXF File in Fusion360
To open a DXF file in Fusion360, use a Data Panel, and you shouldn’t have any issues. Here’s how it works:
- Open Fusion360.
- Tap “Insert,” “Insert DXF,” and browse for the file.
- When you locate the file you want to use, tap on “Upload.”
What Is a DXF File Type?
DXF stands for Drawing Exchange Format file, and Autodesk developed it in 1982. It has become one of the universal and standard file formats for storing CAD drawing models. Many 3D modeling software solutions support this file type.
What Programs Open DXF Files?
Here’s a list of some of the software programs that work well with DXF files:
• Adobe Illustrator
How Do I Convert DXF to PDF?
If you want to convert your DXF file to a PDF, all you need to do is open any file converters and insert the DXF file. Some of the converters work online, while others function like apps that require downloading. The choice of the converter depends on your preference and how often you’ll be using it.
How Do I Create a DXF File?
Any drawing that you’ve made in AutoCAD can be saved as a DXF file. Here’s how the process goes:
• Open AutoCAD and create a drawing.
• Tap on “Application Menu,” “Save As,” and “Other Formats.”
• Choose a DXF format.
• Select the folder where you want to save the file and enter a file name.
• Finally, tap on “Save.”
How to Open FxF Files?
FxF is a file extension that directly indicates which app can open the file and use it. Different programs use FxF files for a variety of data types. If you want to find the best tool for opening one of those files, you’ll have access to its properties.
Here’s how you can do it if you’re using Windows:
• Right-click the file’s icon.
• Select “Properties.”
• Find the file type listed under “Type of File.”
Here’s what you need to do if you’re using a Mac:
• Right-click the file’s icon.
• Tap on “More Info.”
• Tap on “Kind” and check the file type.
What Is the Best Free AutoCAD Reader?
AutoCAD’s platform isn’t cheap, but there are a variety of free AutoCAD readers available to enable everyone to see their files. Since DXF and DWG files are considered a standard in the industry, it’s impossible to use them without a proper reader.
Here are some of the free readers that can help you analyze and review all your projects:
• Autodesk A360
• Autodesk DWG True View
• Autodesk Fusion360
• Irfan View
How Do You Open DxD Files?
If you want to open a DxD file, here’s what you need to do:
• Double click the icon, and if it doesn’t open, move to the second step.
• If you don’t have a program on your computer that can open a DxD file, you’ll have to install a Diogenesis Extended Document. If that doesn’t work, move to step three.
• If you’re still unable to open the file, find out the file type and then search on the web for the software that can open it.
How Do I Open a DXF File Online?
Using an online DXF and DWG viewer, you can easily upload any file and view it in your browser without the need to install AutoCAD or any other expensive software.
Everything Is a Format
It’s impossible to imagine the future of engineering and industrial design projects without AutoCAD. That’s why it’s important to know how DWG and DXF files function and the free tools you can use to create and read them.
Now that you know more about using DXF on various platforms, you can use it in a way that suits your needs. You’ll also be able to open your files across multiple devices to follow your projects and their development.
How often do you have to open DXF files on devices other than your computer? Have you experienced any problems while importing them?
Share your thoughts in the comments below.