How to Send a Message to an Amazon Fire Tablet
The Amazon Fire series of tablets are more than just e-book readers, which is why Amazon dropped the Kindle moniker back in September 2014. These days they come with Wi-Fi connectivity, which enables the sending and receiving of SMS and MMS messages, as well as emails.
Text and email are an integral part of our lives, so being able to send and receive messages on your tablet makes life a lot easier. Let’s take a look at the various ways that you can receive messages on your Fire tablet, as well as the relevant info you’ll need to know to be able to do so.
Receiving Emails on a Fire Tablet
If you want to get your emails on your Fire, then you’ll need to set up the email app that comes with the tablet. It’s a pretty simple process – here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Open the Email app from your Fire’s home screen. If you don’t see the app, then tap on Apps at the top, and you should be able to find it there.
- If this is the first time you’ve opened the app, it will automatically ask you to enter the email address you want to use with it. Tap on the text box under Email address.
- Type the email you want to use with the app into the box.
- Tap on Next.
- Enter the password for that email account.
- Tap Next.
- If you want to add more accounts to receive emails from on your tablet, tap on the Add Another Account button, and then go through the steps again.
The app should now download messages that have been sent to the addresses that you have connected to it, and you’ll be able to access them in the Inbox section of the app.
Receiving SMS and MMS Messages on a Fire Tablet
To be able to send and receive text and multimedia messages on your Fire tablet, you’ll need to install a third-party app from the Amazon App Store. One of the better and most user-friendly options is TextMe, a freemium app that can send and receive free text messages in the US and Canada.
You can even set up a variety of different phone numbers, so that your international friends and family can still easily contact you. Plus, you can use these number to make and receive phone calls, all of which adds some much-needed functionality to your device.
To set up a number for people to send you messages on, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Open the TextMe app from your Fire’s home screen.
- Tap on Me at the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap on My Numbers
- Tap on Get a new phone number.
- Choose either a local number, or an international number to add to your device.
Once your number is set up, send it to the people you want to be able to message you, or send them a message using the app, and they’ll be able to contact you by text and MMS.
Use Skype to Receive Messages
Another option for receiving and sending messages on your Fire tablet is to download Skype Kindle Edition. You can communicate by text, voice, and video using Skype with any of your Skype contacts, as well as being able to message and call people’s phones if you add some credit to your account.
It’s such a prevalent app these days, you’re likely to be able to communicate with most of the people you know, and because it’s free to message between two Skype accounts, it shouldn’t be hard to persuade anyone who doesn’t have it yet to register an account.
These are the best and easiest ways that we’ve found for getting your Amazon Fire tablet set up to send and receive text and email messages. If you have any other apps to suggest, or a method that we’ve missed, then please go ahead and share them with us in the comments section below!