iMessage: You Can Receive iMessages to and Reply From – How To Adjust
If you’re a new iPhone user, you may not know that there is a specific kind of text message you can send from your Apple device to another device of the same brand, such as an iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer. This is called an iMessage, and it allows you to send texts, photographs, videos, and GIFs.
In this article, you’ll find how to activate this Apple users exclusive feature and its main characteristics.
Activating iMessage on Your iPhone
Following these step-by-step instructions to easily set up your iPhone to send and receive iMessages.
- Go to the “Settings” app on your phone.
- Locate the “Messages” option and click on it.
- Make sure the “iMessage” option is on. If not, turn it on by clicking on the sidebar.
- Once “iMessages” is activated, click “Send and Receive.”
- You’ll find your phone number with a checkmark in the “You can receive iMessages to and replay from” option.
- Click “Use your Apple ID for iMessage” and add your email address.
Once you’ve activated your phone number and Apple ID, you can set your other devices to send iMessages using your phone number.
How to Set Up Your Phone Number for iMessage on Your Mac
Once you’ve activated iMessage on your phone, you can use it from your Mac computer. Follow the steps below to activate iMessage using your phone number on your Mac.
- On your Mac, go to “Messages,” then “Preference.” You’ll be asked to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap on “iMessage,” and then “Settings.”
- To activate your phone number and Apple ID email with iMessage, click on the squares next to them until you see a blue checkmark.
- If you don’t want the recipient to see your phone number, click the “Start new conversation from” option. You can select your Apple ID instead of your phone number.
How to Turn Your Phone Number On and Off on Your iPad and iPod Touch
You can turn your phone number on or off to start or stop sending and receiving iMessages to your iPad or iPod Touch. Follow these simple steps.
- Go to the “Settings” app on your iPad or iPod Touch.
- Check if the “iMessage” setting is on (green).
- Click “Send and Receive” section
- Go to the “You can receive iMessages to and replay from” option. There you’ll find your phone number and email address of your Apple ID. If both have a blue checkmark, it means they are both activated. If not, click on the one you want to activate or deactivate.
Additionally, from this section, you can choose which information the message recipient will see. You can show your phone number or email address for your Apple ID.
Main Differences Between iMessage and SMS Messages
iMessage is a new technology incorporated by Apple, which is very similar to the traditional SMS message service. However, there are some differences between them. Here are the main features of each one of them.
SMS Message is the traditional text message you can send from your cellphone to any other, regardless of brand or model. This application uses your cellphone network, not your data.
iMessage, on the hand, allows you to send messages from an Apple device to any other device of the same brand. When you receive an iMessage, you’ll notice it’s in a blue bubble instead of the traditional green one used by SMS Messages. iMessage doesn’t use your cellphone network to operate but an internet connection. It could be either Wi-Fi or your data plan.
Kind of Messages You Can Send
SMS Message is a popular app used worldwide. However, the amount of information you can send is limited to 160 characters. With iMessage, you can send and receive text, photographs, videos, GIF files, and stickers.
For privacy and safety, iMessage has automatic encryption technology. This means there is less of a risk of the information you share being stolen by hackers. SMS messages don’t have this kind of safety technology.
With iMessage, you can synchronize all your Apple devices to share the information you send and receive. All your messages will appear on all your devices so you can follow your conversation with whatever device you’re using.
With an SMS message, you’ll have to wait for the other person to reply to know if the recipient has seen the text. On the other hand, iMessage will show when your message has been delivered and read. Additionally, iMessage has live typing technology. This will let you know when the person is typing a message.
Spell Message With an I
Cellphone technology is advancing rapidly, providing more features every day to simplify users’ lives. While most of the advances are multi-device compatible, Apple has been working to create a new universe specifically for its users.
iMessage is a text message application very similar, in several aspects, to traditional SMS. However, Apple has redoubled the bet by creating iMessage. This app has unique features such as encryption technology, multimedia messaging, and automatic synchronization, which has left ordinary SMS technology behind, at least for iPhone users.
Do you find iMessage useful or do you still prefer the traditional SMS app? Let us know in the comment section.