How to Insert a Signature in Microsoft Word
Electronic signing is a relatively new practice. Instead of an old-school “wet signature,” you can now use electronic signs, symbols, and even sounds to authenticate a document.
MS Word, unfortunately, doesn’t have many built-in features for generating e-signatures. However, the word processor supports a wide range of extensions and apps you can use instead. This article will show you how to insert your signature in Microsoft Word and explain how e-signing works.
How to Insert Signature in Microsoft Word?
The good news is – you can add electronic signatures in Word documents. The bad news is – you can only attach them as image files. Here’s how to insert your signature in Microsoft Word using the built-in features:
- Sign your name on a piece of paper.
- Use a scanner or a camera to record the document. Upload it to your computer and save it as a .jpg, .gif, or .png file.
- Open the MS Word document. Go to the “Insert” section on the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Click on “Pictures” to open a new window. Locate the scanned signature on your local drive by typing the name of the file in the dialog box. Click to add it to your document.
- If the signature is too big, you can simply edit it. A new “Picture Tools” section will appear if you click on the image. Click on the “Format” tab and use “Crop” to resize. You can also manually enter the height and width into the small dialog boxes on the right-hand side.
If you need to include additional information in the signature, you can use the Quick Parts feature. Here’s how to do it:
- Under the signature image, write your email address, phone number, or job title.
- Use your cursor to highlight both the image and the added information.
- On the menu above, open the “Insert” section. Click on the “Quick Parts” tab.
- Click on the “Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery” option to open a new window.
- Next to the word “Name,” write the title of your signature.
- Check the “Gallery” box underneath. It should read “Auto Text.” If not, select that option from the drop-down menu.
- Complete the process by clicking “OK.”
- Now that your signature is ready place the cursor where you want to insert it.
- Go to Insert > Quick Parts > Auto Text.
- Choose your signature from the list of blocks.
How to Insert a Signature Line
If you’re creating a document to print and sign later, you can create a signature line. Including this line leaves a clean space to input a signature with a pen after printing. Here’s what to do:
- Click Insert.
- Click Signature Line.
- A line will appear with a place to add your signature after printing.
What Is a Digital Signature?
Unlike regular e-signatures, digital signatures have an authentication code that’s unique to every individual. The embedded cryptography guarantees the document’s safety and integrity.
Legally speaking, digital signatures are recognized as valid identification. Of course, that can vary depending on the laws in a certain country.
It’s common practice to use digital signatures in most industries. Businesses include them in their corporate ID, email address, and phone PIN.
You may also be required to create a digital signature in your everyday life. Here’s a list of documents that usually require a digital signature:
- A real estate contract (closing contract included).
- A mortgage application.
- A sales contract.
- A vendor agreement.
- A hiring contract.
How to Remove Digital Signatures From Word or Excel?
You can delete the signature from your document or spreadsheet in just a few simple steps. Here’s how to remove digital signatures from Word or Excel:
- Go to the MS Word/Excel home page and select the document or spreadsheet that contains your signature.
- Place your cursor on the signature line and right-click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Select “Remove Signature” from the list of options.
- Confirm with “Yes.”
How to Sign the Signature Line in Word or Excel?
Signature lines are a built-in tool in MS Word. They mark the place where to sign the document. Here’s how to add signature lines to MS Word:
- Place your cursor where you want to sign the document.
- Click on the “Insert” section in the menu bar above.
- Go to Text > Signature Line > Microsoft Office Signature Line.
- A small pop-up window will appear. Write the name, title, and e-mail address (optional) of the signer in the appropriate boxes.
- Confirm with “OK.”
If you’re the signer, here’s how to sign the signature line in Word or Excel:
- Open the Word document or Excel spreadsheet. Make sure to enable editing. If “Protected View” is on, click “Edit Anyway.”
- Move your cursor to the signature line and right-click to open a drop-down menu.
- From the list of options, choose “Sign.”
- If your signature is saved as an image, click “Select Image.” Use the “Select Signature Image” dialog box to locate the file on your computer. Click “Select” to upload it to MS Word.
- If you have a printed version, you can just type your name next to the letter “X.”
- Click “Sign” to insert the signature.
How to Add a Signature in Word With the PandaDoc Add-In?
If you don’t have access to a scanner, you can use an e-signing extension instead. PandaDoc is an extremely popular add-in due to its user-friendly interface and a wide range of tools. You can get it from the Microsoft Azure Marketplace. Here’s how to add a signature in Word with the PandaDoc add-in:
- Open your browser and go to the Microsoft Azure Marketplace.
- Use the search bar to find the PandaDoc add-in. Click the “Get It Now” button under the logo to install.
- Create an account and allow PandaDoc access to your computer files.
- Upload the Word document to PandaDoc.
- There are two options to choose from, depending on who’s signing the document. If you’re the signer, choose “Self-sign Document.” If not, click on “Request Signatures.”
- To insert your signature, click on the little ‘’+’’ icon on the right-hand side. Find the “Signature” section and click to open it.
- PandaDoc allows you to draw or type in your signature or upload a pre-existing image. Choose one option and then click on “Finish Document.”
PandaDoc will automatically save your signature so you can keep using it. Just click the “Signature” field and drag and drop it into the document.
Here are the answers to more of your questions about digital signatures and Microsoft Word.
How Do You Make an Email Signature in Microsoft Word?
You can use Word to create a signature template for your email account. This works well if you want to include additional information, such as your phone number, email address, and current job title. Here’s how to do it:
1. Go to Insert > Text > Signature Line.
2. Type in the signer’s information. Click “Ok.”
3. Click on the signature line in the document. Go to Insert > Picture. Choose the image containing the signature.
4. Copy the template to your email.
If you want more template options, you can download the Microsoft Email Signature Gallery to your computer.
How Do I Insert a Signature in Word for Free?
You can insert a signature into Word for free by using a scanner or a phone camera. Just take a picture of your handwritten signature and upload it to your PC. Open the Word document and add the image by using the “Insert” feature.
Another way to do it is by installing add-ons to your browser. Most e-signing extensions offer a free trial period. Remember to cancel your subscription on time; otherwise, you’ll be charged in the next billing cycle.
How Do I Electronically Sign a Form in Word?
If you want to electronically sign a form in Word, you can use the built-in features. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the form and place your cursor on the signature line.
2. Go to Insert > Picture.
3. Browse your files. Select the image containing your signature.
Remember, you have to upload a picture of your “wet signature” prior to opening the document.
You can also use an add-on to electronically sign a form. Just find one that’s compatible with your version of MS Office.
If the form is in PDF, you have to convert it to a Word document. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open your browser and type “pdf to word converter” in the search engine.
2. Click on one of the results. Upload your PDF file and click “Convert.”
3. Download the file after the process is complete.
How Do I Write My Signature on a Word Document?
You can’t write your signature on a Microsoft Word document. Unlike other word processors, it doesn’t have a built-in Drawing tool that allows you to do that. If you want your signature to appear written, you have to insert it as an image.
However, certain add-ons allow you to sign your documents by using your computer mouse. For example, you can use PandaDoc to draw your signature on a Word document. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the document in PandaDoc.
2. Click on the “Signature” button in the panel on the right-hand side.
3. When asked how you want to insert the signature, choose “Draw.”
4. Use your computer mouse to write your name on the document.
How Do I Create a Digital Signature?
There are multiple add-ons and apps that allow you to create a digital signature. One of the more popular ones is DocuSign. It’s compatible with all Microsoft Office apps, including MS Word. Here’s how to digitally sign documents with DocuSign:
1. When you need to digitally sign a document, you usually receive an email request. Copy the URL and open the document in DocuSign.
2. Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
3. A list of instructional tags will appear. Follow the steps carefully to complete the process.
You Can Take Our Word for It
When it comes to creating your e-signature, MS Word falls a little short compared to Google Docs. It has limited built-in features. It also requires you to have access to a scanner or camera.
Fortunately, there’s no shortage of e-sign add-ons that are compatible with Microsoft Office apps. Some extensions, like PandaDoc, even have mobile apps available for both iOS and Android.
What do you think the best way to insert an e-signature into a Word document is? Do you have a go-to app for electronic signing? Comment below and let us know if there’s a better way to digitally sign Word documents.