How to Fix Instagram Share to Facebook Stopped Working
Since Facebook bought Instagram, the company has tied the two together to support each other in many ways. One of the more valuable ways that Facebook and Instagram complement each other is by giving users the capability to share Instagram images directly onto Facebook.
Well, you can share Instagram images directly to Facebook, in theory. In reality, the option is still a bit buggy at times but getting better.
If you’re having problems sharing images from Instagram directly on Facebook, here are some things you can try to fix the problem.
You have been able to link your Facebook and Instagram accounts for ages, long before Facebook bought Instagram.
However, the acquisition changed the system behind the scenes, and the feature that used to work reliably now seems buggy. Still, the integrations do seem to be improving over time.
The problem can take two forms. The first error states the image was shared successfully but never appears on Facebook. The other error doesn’t show any feedback that you’ve attempted to share anything to the other platform.
For personal accounts, you’ll connect Instagram and Facebook from Instagram.
If you also have a business Facebook Page, you’ll need to ensure that Instagram has permission to post to your Facebook Page.
Instagram Shares not Showing Up on Facebook Profile
When you share something from Instagram, you see a confirmation stating, “Your post was shared successfully,” and it appears on your Facebook page. Sometimes, you get that message, and nothing appears on Facebook at all, and sometimes nothing happens, period. Either way, here are some ways to fix it. Try each process step by step until you resolve the problem.
Fix Sharing Instagram to Facebook on Android/iPhone
- Log out of Instagram and Facebook, then log back into both. This simple solution often solves all kinds of problems with the apps individually, but it can also resolve issues with integration.
- Check the link between Facebook and Instagram. Open the Instagram app on your device and tap on the “profile icon” in the bottom right.
- Tap on the “hamburger icon” (three horizontal lines) in the upper right-hand corner.
- From your profile, choose “Settings.”
- Tap on “Accounts Center.”
- Next, tap on the “Accounts & Profiles” option.
- Verify that your Facebook account appears in the list.
- You may alternatively get asked to log into Facebook and check the link from there. When you first see Facebook in the Linked Accounts list, confirm that it appears blue with the logo beside it, along with your name associated with your account.
- If you tap on Facebook, you should be able to log in from Instagram by tapping “Login.”
- If the previous step doesn’t work, reset the link to ensure that Facebook is properly authenticated and linked to your Instagram account. Head over to the “Accounts Center.”
- Tap on your “Facebook account.”
- Tap on “Remove from Accounts Center.” This will link or relink your Facebook account to your Instagram account and enable you to share Instagram images on Facebook.
- Restart your phone.
- Relink Facebook to your Instagram account. Access your “Instagram profile,” then the “hamburger icon,” and then “Settings -> Accounts center-> Accounts & profiles -> Add accounts -> Facebook.”
- If sharing from Instagram to Facebook still fails, try clearing the app cache on both apps.
Clearing App Cache on Android to Fix Sharing Problems
If you’re still having trouble posting from Instagram to Facebook on Android, clearing the app cache is the final thing to try. This process can solve problems that have nothing to do with Facebook or Instagram.
On Android, follow these instructions for Facebook and Instagram separately.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Tap on “Apps.”
- Tap on “Facebook” or “Instagram.”
- Select “Storage.”
- Finally, tap “Clear Cache.”
Clearing App Cache on iOS/iPhone to Fix Sharing Problems
Clearing app cache on iOS/iPhone does not exist. However, you’ll reinstall the apps to clear them.
On iOS, uninstalling Instagram and Facebook clears the app cache for both. Follow the steps below for both platforms.
- Tap “Settings.”
- Tap “General.”
- Select “iPhone Storage.”
- Tap “Instagram” or “Facebook.”
- Choose “Delete App.”
- Reinstall “Instagram” or “Facebook” from the App Store.
Instagram Shares not Showing Up on Facebook Pages
If you’ve linked Instagram to your Facebook account but find that you can’t get it to post to your Facebook Pages (personal or business), ensure you’ve given Instagram permission to do so. Rather than change settings in Instagram as you do when shares don’t post to your Facebook profile, you change settings in Facebook to link to Instagram.
Connecting Instagram Account to Facebook Page on Windows or Mac
Since you use any web browser, the functionality is the same no matter what device you’re on. You can even use your mobile browser if you like.
- Give Instagram permission to post to your Facebook Page. On your laptop or desktop using a web browser, click “Settings” in the bottom left of your Facebook Page (not Facebook profile).
- Click “Instagram” within “Page Settings.”
- Click on “Connect Account“ on the right side of the page.
- Finally, type in your Instagram “username” and “password,” then click “Log In.”
The steps above ensure that Instagram has permission to post to your Facebook Page(s).
Frequently Asked Questions
This section includes the answers to more questions you may have about sharing from Instagram to Facebook.
Can I share my Instagram Reels on Facebook?
Absolutely! When you post your Reel, toggle the switch next to Post to Facebook. If you’ve already posted the Reel, tap the three-dot icon and select the option to share on Facebook.
In closing, Instagram and Facebook don’t always get along when it comes to sharing content. However, this scenario isn’t always app-based, but it can be. Sometimes, cached data gets corrupt or communicates the wrong information that leads to problems sharing Instagram to Facebook. Other times, it’s an issue with the device. In any case, the suggested processes above should fix the problem, whether it is sharing to your Facebook profile or your Facebook Page(s).
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
30 thoughts on “How to Fix Instagram Share to Facebook Stopped Working”
there is no way at all to report said issues to either FB or IG unlike almost every other dev app.
November 29, 2019 at 11:00 am
“Sorry this was not helpful. The problem I am having is that “I can not connect my IG account to my FB account. I mean I literally can not do this. When I go to “Accounts” then “Linked Accounts” and then Facebook I get a pop that says “Connect to Facebook” I then click “connect” and then there in lies the problem…Nothing Happens. I just get a spinning wheel that just spins and spins spins and spins and spins…no connection. When I click ANY other app Twitter, Tumbler, Ameba etc it takes me to the next screen. Facebook? Nada. Always a problem. Anytime I can do something it always FB.”
I can sign into my instagram with facebook on desktop but cannot on the app and signing in this way on desktop didn’t link my accounts. Please Help! I have a SE iphone and a professional account trying to link to personal profile on Facebook. I have been able to do this successfully before and all of a sudden stopped linking.
No description, no hashtags, just a photo. And then Facebook has put it in a collage with other photos, usually from a year ago. Up until July 2, 2020 I had no problem sharing between the two. I’ve tried all the resets, linking and un-linking then linking back, logging out of both and then logging back in, resetting the sharing…changing passwords, plus all of the above instructions, but nothing is helping. What changed in the past 2 weeks?
Android + Facebook business page + Instagram business account
This worked for me:
– Make sure the Facebook page is connected with your Instagram page from Facebook using your computer
– Make sure you have both Instagram and Facebook apps installed on your phone
– Open the Instagram app on the phone, sign out and make sure the home screen does not remember your account (if it does, remove the account from there)
– Open the Facebook app on the phone and sign out
– Go to phone settings and select “Applications”
– For apps named “Facebook Services”, “Facebook” and “Instagram” repeat the following:
* Click “Force Stop”
* Click “Storage” and then “Clear Cache”
* Make sure you do this for ALL APPS listed above
– Open the Instagram app
– On the login page, click “Sign in with Facebook” and sign in with an account that has permissions to administer the page that is connected with the Instagram account
– After successful Facebook login, Instagram should ask if you want to continue as the “BusinessAccount”, continue as “BusinessAccount”
– Go to Instagram app settings -> click “Account” -> click “Linked Accounts”
– Facebook should show as connected now -> we don’t want that -> click “Facebook” -> click “Unlink Account”
– Kill the Instagram application once again on the fly (just open the Android apps view and kill it there)
– Open the Instagram app again -> you should be now logged in automatically
– Go again to Instagram app settings -> click “Account” -> click “Linked Accounts”
– Facebook should NOT show as connected now -> click “Facebook” -> wait a while -> a popup appears where you can click “Start sharing on Facebook” -> click that
– The popup disappears and YOU WILL NOT SEE A BLUE CHECKBOX -> don’t care about that
– Now close Instagram settings -> go back to the home view -> make a new post
– The “Share on Facebook” should show up as checked
@Facebook? I’m finding out that I can share one picture posts from IG to Facebook, but my posts with multiple photos are not showing up on FB. Not sure why, but this has been happening for several weeks. I reported this to Facebook Help but as usual, i have not received a response. #FacebookHelp #FacebookSupport #InstagramHelp #InstagramSupport
I am having a little bit of a different issue but somewhat similar.
I am able to connect my IG account through Facebook, however when I go to post something (on Facebook) the option to share to IG does not show.
I’ve searched everywhere in the settings and can not seem to find where to allow this option.
The Facebook page is a business account and I am the admin on it.
Any ideas on how I can get the option to post to IG from Facebook??
There should be buttons for things:
Timeline About Friends Photos Archive More
Click on the More and at the bottom should be Instagram
Click on Instagram and it will take you to your Recent Posts from Insta
There should be a pencil that says Manage when you hover over it .
Click the pencil and go to Instagram Settings.
A window will pop up and under App Visibility and Post audience you can change who sees what!
Had the same problem man.
I have an Instagram account linked to a Facebook page and pretty much everything works except the messenger which says the Instagram account is linked to another page – is there something I am missing or need to be doing or is there a check I can undertake?
It’s been three weeks for me also ..