How to Block No Caller ID Calls on an iPhone
Receiving unwanted phone calls can be a nuisance, and even more so when the caller hides their number. Salespeople and realtors love this trick and find it helpful in getting unwitting individuals to answer their calls. Unfortunately, those of us on the receiving end find ourselves interrupted and often frustrated.
However, if you use an iPhone, there are a few ways to prevent these calls from interfering with your day. This guide will look at a few different ways to block these unwanted calls on your iPhone.
How to Block No Caller ID on the iPhone 10, 11, and 12
1. Silence Unknown Callers
Newer versions of the iPhone – including the iPhone 10 (or iPhone X), iPhone 11, and iPhone 12 – are supported on iOS 13 and up. The release of iOS 13 brought with it a unique feature called “Silence Unknown Callers.” This application directs all calls from unknown callers to voicemail. Your iPhone won’t ring but will record the call in the “Recents” section of your phonebook, and if they leave a voicemail, you will receive a notification of the message.
Here is how to enable the “Silence Unknown Callers” feature on your iPhone 10, 11, or 12:
- Unlock your iPhone and locate the “Settings” icon. Apple depicts this icon as a small, grey gear.
- Tap on the “Settings” icon.
- Scroll through the menu, and when you find it select the “Phone” option.
- In the menu that opens, navigate to the “Silence Unknown Callers” option and slide the toggle to the right to turn on the feature. When activated, the toggle will turn green.
2. Do Not Disturb
Another way you can block calls from unknown callers is to use the “Do Not Disturb” feature on your iPhone. This application is relatively simple to set up; here’s how:
- Unlock your iPhone and locate the “Settings” icon.
- Click on the “Settings” icon.
- Scroll through the menu that pops up until you find “Do Not Disturb.”
- Tap on “Allow Calls From” and then choose the “All Contacts” option.
- Close the menus and navigate back to your “Home” screen.
This solution works because it allows only those people stored in your contacts list to call you. However, it prevents all other calls from coming through, which means you may miss other important calls from numbers other than those in your contact list.
3. Create a New Contact
The third way you can block unknown numbers is by creating a new contact that you can name “Do Not Answer” or “No Caller ID.” Unfortunately, your iPhone is unable to block hidden or private numbers because it cannot recognize them. However, creating a contact that mimics this unknown number allows you to work around this. Here is how to do it:
- Navigate to “Contacts” and tap the “+” icon to add a new contact.
- Enter “No Caller ID” into the box for the contact’s name.
- Then, key in “000-000-0000” for the phone number of the new contact.
- Click “Done” to save.
- Next, scroll through this newly added contact’s profile until you see the “Block This Caller” option and tap on it.
- Select “Block Contact” to confirm your choice.
Your iPhone will now recognize any hidden or private numbers as a blocked number and prevent your phone from ringing should someone call you from an unknown number.
How to Block No Caller ID on the iPhone 6, 7, and 8
1. Adding a New Contact
The latest iOS systems do not support all the older iPhone models. Because of this, your phone may not offer features such as “Silence Unknown Callers.” However, there are still ways to block unknown callers. The following steps will show you how:
- Navigate to the “Contacts” on your phone and tap the “+” to add a new contact to your phone.
- In the profile for this new contact, type in “No Caller ID” under the name.
- In the number bar, add in “000-000-0000” for the phone number.
- Select “Done” to save the contact.
- In the saved contact profile, scroll down to find “Block This Caller” and tap it.
- Now choose “Block Contact.”
2. Activating Do Not Disturb
Another way to prevent unwanted numbers from calling you is by enabling “Do Not Disturb.” Here is how you do it:
- Locate your phone’s “Settings” icon and click on it.
- Under “Settings,” look for “Do Not Disturb” then slide the toggle next to this option to the right to activate it. Once enabled, the toggle will turn green and a moon icon will appear in the status bar.
- Next, tap the “Allow Calls From” option and select “All Contacts.” A small check should appear on the right.
- Navigate back to your home screen.
As noted, before, this method works; however, it won’t just block unknown numbers. Instead, it will block any number not in your contact list.
Another way to block unknown numbers on your iPhone is by going through your cell phone carrier. Most of these service providers offer plans or filters that will help you block unwanted callers.
How To Block No Caller ID on an iPhone with Verizon Service
If you use Verizon as your cell phone carrier, you can sign up for their Call Filter. In addition, Verizon provides a selection of features in this app that include blocking spam and robocalls control.
Verizon’s Call Filter is free to Verizon subscribers. However, if you want a beefed-up version, you can opt for the paid version – Call Filter Plus – for $2.99 a month.
How To Block No Caller ID on an iPhone with ATT Service
AT&T offers an app of its own, known as AT&T Call Protect, that will help you prevent unwanted calls from reaching your phone. The app is available to all AT&T subscribers using an iPhone 6 or up with HD Voice Capable iOS. You can opt for the more basic, free version or pay a monthly subscription of $3.99 for the premium option. Both choices provide Nuisance Call Alerts and Unknown Call Blocking.
iHow To Block No Caller ID on an iPhone with Tmobile Service
T-Mobile also offers its version of a filtering app called ScamShield, which protects against robocalls, spam, and unwanted calls. The app is free to download from the Google Playstore or App Store. If you want a version with a little more clout, you can opt for Scam Shield Premium, which will cost a monthly fee.
iPhHow To Block No Caller ID on an iPhone in Australia
If you live in Australia and have an iPhone that supports iOS 13 or above, you can use the “Silence Unknown Callers” feature. The steps below will show you how to activate this application:
- Open your iPhone and navigate to “Settings.”
- Once in ‘Settings,” select the “Phone” option.
- From here, scroll to find “Silence Unknown Callers.” Slide the toggle to the right to activate this setting. Once enabled, the toggle will turn green.
It is important to note that this feature will only work with unknown numbers. If you have interacted with a particular number before but have not saved it to your contacts, your iPhone will not include this number in those it recognizes as being “unknown.”
Another way to avoid calls from callers with hidden numbers is to install a third-party app.
How To Block No Caller ID on an iPhone in Hong Kong
iPhone users living in Hong Kong can use a third-party app or service provider that will help them block unwanted calls. Alternatively, if your iPhone supports iOS 13 or up, you can enable the “Silence Unknown Callers” feature on your phone.
- Navigate to “Settings” from your “Home” screen.
- Once in “Settings,” locate “Phone” and tap on it.
- Move down the menu until you find the “Silence Unknown Callers” option and slide the toggle to the right to enable it. The toggle should turn green when activated.
Nuisance Callers Blocked
Blocking or silencing unknown callers on your iPhone is relatively straightforward once you know how. Follow these easy steps and you’ll only receive calls from people you want to talk to. Alternatively, you can contact your cell phone carrier to set up a blocking filter that suits you.
Have you blocked unknown callers on your iPhone before? Did you use a method similar to those outlined in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.