How to Add Language Skills on LinkedIn
While building your LinkedIn professional network, it’s important to represent yourself well. Naturally, you’ll want to show off the skills you have to offer a potential employer or co-worker. Fortunately, if you have language skills to add to your LinkedIn profile, it’s easy to do.
Language proficiency can really make you stand out from the crowd. This article will tell you how to add the fact you have knowledge of or fluently speak one additional or several languages to your LinkedIn profile.
How to Add Language Skills to Your Skills Section
It’s a great idea to strengthen your resume with extra skills such as language. This lets others know what skills you have to offer them professionally. These skills can include both foreign languages and programming languages.
To add language skills to your LinkedIn skills section, follow these steps. If you haven’t added any skills yet to your LinkedIn profile and don’t have a skills section, skip to the next paragraph, “Add a Skills Section,” for instructions on adding that section first.
On a desktop:
- Click the “Me” icon at the top of the LinkedIn homepage.
- In the pop-up menu, click “View Profile.”
- Scroll down until you find your profile’s “Skills” section.
- Click the “+” icon to add a new skill.
- Use the search bar to add a language skill. You can do the following:
• Add a general skill – “Foreign Languages.”
• Search for a specific language to add as a skill.
• Choose a LinkedIn skill suggestion as you type your language info.
• Select from your previous jobs where you used this skill.
- When you have found the skill you want to add, click “Save.”
On a mobile device:
- Tap your profile picture.
- Select “View profile.”
- Scroll down to the “Skills” section in your profile.
- Tap the “+” icon.
- Using the search bar you can do the following:
• Enter a specific language to add.
• Type in a language and choose from LinkedIn’s suggested skills.
• Choose schools or previous jobs where you used this skill.
- Tap “Save” when you have chosen the skill to add.
You can add as many language skills as you’d like to your LinkedIn profile, up to 50 total skills. Repeat these steps as necessary to add more language skills.
How to Add a Skills Section
If you don’t have a skills section on your profile yet, you won’t be able to add language skills through it. Complete the following steps to add a skills section first, and then add language skills to it.
On a desktop:
- Navigate to your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click on the “Me” icon.
- Select “View Profile.”
- Under your bio, click “Add profile section.”
- In the “Core” menu, select “Add skills.”
- This opens the “Add skill” window. Here you can do the following things:
• Search for a foreign language and see LinkedIn’s skills suggestions.
• Type in a language to add as a skill.
• Enter a generic language skill such as “Translation.”
• Note in which jobs or universities you practiced this skill.
- When you have successfully chosen a language skill to add, click “Save.”
On a mobile device:
- Select your profile picture.
- Tap “View profile.”
- Choose “Add section” under the introduction section.
- Tap “Core.”
- Select “Add skills.”
- This will add the section and open the “Skill” page. Here you can:
• Search for a language to add as a skill.
• Browse LinkedIn’s suggestions for skills as you type.
• Add a general skill such as “Languages.”
• Display where you have used this skill previously.
- Once you like the way your new language skill is displayed, tap “Save” to add it to your profile.
Use the Language Section to Show Off Your Skill
LinkedIn offers a separate “Language“ section where you can also show off your language abilities.
- On your profile page, click “Add profile section.“
- Open the “Additional“ drop-down menu and choose “Add languages.“
- Here you can add a language and a proficiency level. Choose from these options:
• Elementary proficiency
• Limited working proficiency
• Professional working proficiency
• Full professional proficiency
• Native or bilingual proficiency
Building up your languages section can draw attention to your skills if you have a high level of proficiency to showcase.
How to Delete a Language Skill
If you decide you don’t like the language skill that you’ve added, follow these quick steps to remove it.
- Open your profile.
- Scroll to the “Skills” section.
- Tap the pencil icon to “Edit” it.
- Find the skill you want to remove and click the “Edit” pencil next to it.
- Choose “Delete skill.”
- Confirm by selecting “Delete” again.
How to Edit a Language Skill
If you’ve added a language and don’t like the wording or want to change it a little, you can edit it easily.
- View your profile page.
- Find the “Skills” section.
- Select the “Edit” option whose icon looks like a pencil.
- Next to the skill you want to change, click “Edit.”
- You can retype the skill or choose something different from the suggestions list.
- Click “Save” when you’re done.
Language Skill Endorsements
LinkedIn offers the option for professionals to endorse each other’s skills. For a great collaborative boost among colleagues, you can visit the profile of someone you have worked with and show your support for one of their skills that you think they do very well.
- Access the profile of a professional colleague.
- Scroll to their “Skills & Endorsements section.”
- Click the skill you want to endorse.
- Their profile will show that you have endorsed them and this particular skill.
When you know someone who excels at a given skill, this is a great way to help them demonstrate their talents and abilities. It lends credibility to their work ethic and shows that they have a proven track record. Be sure to thank anyone who supports you with an endorsement.
How many skills can I add to my LinkedIn profile?
You can add up to 50 distinct skills.
How do I get endorsements?
Ask your friends and professional connections to endorse you if they feel you have done a good job at a particular skill or position.
Can I add a Duolingo proficiency level to my profile?
Yes, you can. In the “Add skill” search bar, type the language and select the “Duolingo” option from the drop-down menu. You can then add your fluency level.
Can people view my profile in different languages?
LinkedIn currently offers 40 different languages that profiles can display. You can choose in your profile setup which language is your default.
Adding Language Skills to LinkedIn
Adding skills to your profile strengthens your professional image and helps match you with the best opportunities that come along. When you have particular skills such as languages that set you apart from other candidates, it’s important to make that information visible to all who view your profile. Thankfully, updating your profile with language skills is simple and only takes a few clicks.
Have you added language skills to your LinkedIn profile? Have you found it to be beneficial? Let us know your experience in the comments below.