How to Mirror iPhone to TV Without Wi-Fi
There are times that you want to share content from your iPhone with others but don’t have Wi-Fi readily available. Fortunately, there are a few solutions available if that’s ever the case.
In this article, you’ll see how to mirror your iPhone to your TV without using a Wi-Fi connection. Let’s get started.
Connecting Through Apple Peer to Peer Airplay
The latest versions of the Apple TV, such as the Apple TV 4K (2nd generation—2021) or Apple TV HD (Previously called Apple TV 4th generation—2015), will support Peer-to-Peer Airplay without Wi-Fi. If you have the Apple TV (Third Generation Rev. A—2012), it should also be running on Apple TV Software 7.0 or later.
In addition, you’ll need to have an iOS device that’s at least a 2012 model or later and that has at least iOS 8 running on it. Unfortunately, Peer-to-Peer Airplay isn’t supported in earlier devices. You may still use screen mirroring on the older devices, but a Wi-Fi connection is required.
If you have the necessary devices available, then Screen Mirroring through Peer-to-Peer Airplay is a simple process.
Peer-to-Peer Airplay works outside of Wi-Fi and may not work while any of your devices are connected to a network. Therefore, it is essential to first disconnect both your Apple TV and iOS from any Wi-Fi Network, then reconnect to it.
- Go to “Settings,” select “Network,” then choose “Wi-Fi.”
- If the Apple TV is connected to any network, it will be shown on your TV screen. Select the name of the current Wi-Fi network, then choose “Forget Network.”
- On your iOS, go to “Settings,” then select “Wi-Fi” to see the current connection information. Click on “Forget Network” to disconnect.
- Do note that forgetting the network is done so that the devices don’t automatically reconnect to your Wi-Fi. You’ll need to remember both your Wi-Fi’s SSID and password if you want to reconnect to it later.
- Do not proceed if you don’t know either your current Wi-Fi’s SSID or password, as mentioned in Step 4 above.
- Connect both devices to Bluetooth because Peer to Peer Airplay is a wireless function that requires it. This step allows both devices to communicate with each other.
- Activate Wi-Fi on your iOS to use Peer to Peer Airplay. You don’t need to be connected, but it has to be turned on. Airplay Controls show up as Screen Mirroring in the Control Center. If it doesn’t show up, try moving the devices closer together. If that fails, try restarting your iOS device.
- Tap on “Screen Mirroring.” Your Apple TV should be listed. If you’re prompted for a connection password, it should appear on your TV’s screen. Enter that information to activate the feature.
When following all the steps above, you should be able to mirror your iOS screen to your TV using Peer-to-Peer Airplay.
Using the Apple Lightning Connector to HDMI Port
Another method of mirroring your iPhone screen is to connect both devices using a cable. The Apple Lightning Connector links your iPhone’s bottom port to an HDMI cable. Connect the device to your phone’s Lightning port, attach an HDMI cable to your TV, then plug the HDMI cable into the Lightning Connector, and your screen is instantly mirrored to your TV.
This method is a speedy and uncomplicated solution if you don’t mind dealing with all the wires. Plus, you don’t need an Apple TV to make this work either. As long as your TV has an HDMI port, this solution works fine. If you want to stop mirroring, disconnect the cables.
There are other connector cables out there that aren’t officially from Apple that you can use if you so wish. However, reliability and safety are not guaranteed. If you want to ensure that you keep your devices protected from damage, it’s best to stick with the official product.
In closing, not everyone has Wi-Fi available at all times. Being able to mirror your iPhone to your TV without Wi-Fi is a useful feature. Yes, sharing the contents of your phone to a larger screen should not be restricted to just Wi-Fi connections, and Apple offers the possibility to do just that!
Do you have any other tips and tricks on how to mirror your iPhone to TV without Wi-Fi? Share your thoughts on the comments section below.