How To Organize Your Kindle Library
The Amazon Kindle is a wildly popular device and app. With it, you can carry your entire library of books with you anywhere you go. However, finding the material you want can be challenging when you have hundreds of books on your device.
If you’re having difficulty sorting through your e-books, we’re here to help you get them in order. In this article, we’ll discuss how to do so in a few different ways.
How to Organize Your Kindle Library on a Kindle
Organizing your Kindle library is a great way to reduce clutter and make your favorite books easier to find. If you’re an avid reader, you may have hundreds of books on your Kindle. Here we’ll discuss a couple of ways to get your e-books better organized.
Use Kindle Collections
Creating a Collection is a fantastic way to organize your Kindle book clutter. Like a file folder, you can categorize books into a Kindle Collection. Here’s how to do it:
- From the Library tab, tap the “three dots” icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- From the dropdown menu, select “Create a Collection.”
- Type in a name for the Collection and click “OK.”
You’ve now created a handy folder for your media. Kindle will now prompt you to add books to your new Collection. To add books, follow these instructions.
- Click the box to the left of the titles you’d like to add to this Collection.
- Once you’ve selected all of them, press “Save.”
You can create as many Collections as you’d like. For instance, you can create a Collection of books you haven’t read yet and name it “To Be Read.” Another idea is to create Collections by the author’s name or book genre. Your choices are unlimited.
What’s nice about using this feature is that you can add and remove books from a Collection anytime. To add or remove a book, go to the book’s menu (tap the three dots on the title) and select “Add to/remove from Collection.”
Sort Your Books
A great way to view which books you have is to use the sort function. Kindle allows users to sort using a variety of options. Instead of blindly scrolling through your library, the sort option quickly arranges your titles using your search criteria. To use the search function, follow these steps:
- Tap the “Three lines” icon at the screen’s top-right.
- Locate the “Sort by” menu at the bottom of the screen and make your selections based on the criteria available.
Using the sort feature, you can sort your titles in easy-to-use lists. You can sort by title or most recent and have them listed in ascending or descending order.
Delete Some Titles
Another possible option for a better organization is to delete the books you’ve already read and don’t feel you’ll need to access them quickly. It’s possible to delete books from your Kindle. However, they will remain accessible and stored in your Amazon account. To learn how to do this, follow these instructions:
- Tap the “Library” button located at the bottom of your device.
- Select the three dots to the right of the title or cover title and choose “Remove download.” Optionally, you can also select “Return to Kindle Unlimited” if you have a subscription.
The book will be removed from your library but will still be available on your Amazon account.
How to Organize Kindle Books on an iPad
Many people enjoy reading using the Kindle app on their iPad. As your collection grows, it can turn into an organizational nightmare. One way to eliminate this from happening is to organize your books better. The best method for this is to create Collections, Kindle’s form of folders.
To put your books into easily found folders, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Kindle app on your iPad.
- Long-press the book cover or title.
- Select “Add to Collection.”
- Give your Collection a name and tap “Add” if this is your first Collection. Otherwise, choose a Collection to categorize the media.
- Scroll through your list of books.
- Tap and hold down the title or book you’d like to add to a Collection.
- Select “Add to Collection” and choose the appropriate folder, or tap the “+” sign to make a new Collection.
- Choose “Done” once completed.
You aren’t limited to one Collection. For better organization, you can create different Collections to categorize your books better and make them easier to locate.
Organizing Kindle Books Into Folders
If your Kindle books are metaphorically overflowing, a good way to help to organize them is by using folders. In the Kindle world, they don’t use the word “folders.” You can, however, manage your titles by placing them in a “Collection.” A Kindle Collection is a folder where you can place books to make them easier to manage and locate.
To create a new Collection using your Kindle, here’s how it’s done:
- Go to the Library tab and select the “three dots” icon in the upper right corner.
- Using the dropdown menu, pick “Create a Collection.”
- Type in a name for the Collection and tap the “OK” button.
Now that you have created a collection, it’s time to add titles.
- Select the three dots on the lower right of the book cover or title.
- Press “Add to/remove from Collection.”
- Choose a folder to add the book or create a new one using the “+” icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Press “Save.”
You aren’t limited to only one Collection, so you can make several to organize your books better. Try creating one and naming it “New Books” while having others broken down by the author’s name or subject.
To add to a Collection using the Amazon website, do the following:
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Select “Your Content & Devices” from your account drop-down menu.
- In the Content tab, go to the “Books” tile .
- Check the box to the left of the title you’d like to add to a Collection.
- Press “More Actions” to the right of the title and “Add or Remove from Collection.”
- Select the appropriate Collection to add the book and “Make Changes” when you’re done.
Using your Kindle tablet, select “Sync and check for items.” This will ensure that the Collections you created on the Amazon site reflect directly on your device.
Please note that you have to first create a Collection on a Kindle device or using the Kindle app. Once you have a Collection, you can download it to your Amazon account via website.
You can have several Collections and add the same book to more than one Collection. For example, you can have the same book in a Collection entitled “New Books” and one named “Science Fiction.”
Better Organization of Your Kindle Library Explained
It is best to keep your Kindle books tidy by utilizing its Collection feature. Placing titles into properly organized folders will make them much easier to find. This can be done directly on your Kindle tablet, an iPad, or even directly from the Amazon website.
Have you wanted to organize your Kindle library but didn’t know how? Did you use the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.