How To Pair a Google Home with an iPhone
Google Home is an excellent addition to any modern home. With a lot of features and controls, Google Home can help you keep track of your schedule, smart home devices, and more.
Looking to set up Google Home to your mobile device but uncertain if something designed for Android will work on your Apple iPhone? Though the process may be tricky, it is very possible to get a Google Assistant setup and working on your iPhone.
So let’s get started.
Google Home For iPhone
Google Home does, in fact, work on iPhones. What you’ll need to do first is to download the Google Home app to your device in order to get started. This is, of course, assuming you’ve already purchased a Google Home for use.
You’ll need to have Google Home already set up and operational within your home before we worry about the app. If you’ve just purchased and received it, take it out of the box and plug it into a consistent power source. This way the process of pairing the Google Home with your iPhone will go smoothly.
Downloading the Google Home App
After you’ve gotten Google Home plugged in and powered on, we can grab the Google Home app from the iPhone App Store.
You’ll need to:
- Turn on your iPhone and tap on the App Store app.
- Do a search for “Google Home”.
- Once located, tap the Get button and use either your passcode for the account or confirm your identity with the Touch/Face ID. The choice will depend on which option you’ve set up and had available.
- After your ID has been confirmed, the app will begin downloading and installing to your iPhone.
- When installation for the app has been completed, an Open button will appear to the right of it.
- Tap the Open button to launch the Google Home app.
- If you left the screen and went back to your Home screen, you can find the app there as well. Just tap on the icon to launch it.
Now it’s time to set up Google Home and connect it to your iPhone.
Connecting Google Home to Your iPhone
With the Google Home plugged into a power source and the app installed onto your iPhone, the next step is to pair one another together. This requires both devices to be turned on and a WiFi connection is available.
To begin the pairing process:
- Launch the Google Home app on your iPhone and tap Get Started which will be located at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Select which Gmail account you’ll be attaching to your Google Home and then tap on OK. This will set your iPhone in motion to search for nearby Google Home devices.
- Once a device is found you’ll be alerted by your iPhone declaring “Google Home found”. It will then connect itself to the device.
- Tap Next at the bottom-right of the screen in order to begin Google Home setup.
- The new screen will need you to select the WiFi network your Google Home will be using. Locate and choose the WiFi network desired and then tap on Next in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
- This screen will have you enter in the passcode or passphrase for your WiFi network. Once entered, click Connect.
- Your Google Home is now connected to your WiFi network. All that’s left is to set your Google Assistant.
- Google will ask you to confirm permissions to use your device information, voice activity, and audio activity. To proceed, tap Yes.
- You don’t have to tap Yes if the choice makes you uncomfortable. However, to get the most out of your Google Home experience, you’ll want to comply with these requirements.
- Here comes the fun part. Teaching Google Assistant to recognize your voice for commands. On-screen you’ll find a few prompts to read aloud. Read each one clearly and loud enough for the Google Assistant to understand and process.
- Upon completion of the voice match, tap Continue on the right side of the screen to move forward with the rest of the process.
- Now you’ll be able to choose the voice of your Google Assistant. There are a few to choose from depending on your language preferences.
- Google Home added over 6 new voices to their list as of 2018. Go ahead and give them all a whirl until you find the one you like most.
- After choosing the voice of the Google Assistant, you’ll be prompted to enter your address and add any music streaming services you’d like to your Google Home.
- Lastly, your Google Home may need to install some new updates should any be available. This will only take a few minutes so it won’t be long before you’ll be putting all of your hard work into action.
- After the update, your Google Home will be connected to your iPhone. At this time, you can go ahead and begin giving verbal commands to your Google Home.
Pair Your Google Home Using BlueTooth
If you don’t want to use the Google Home app, or you don’t have the option, you can still pair the two devices using BlueTooth. Pairing your iPhone with your Google Home device is simple.
Pair Using the Google Home Voice Command
First, using the voice command say “Ok Google, Bluetooth pairing.” Your Google Home device will automatically go into pairing mode. Next, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings on your iPhone and tap on Bluetooth.
- Toward the bottom of this window you will see ‘Available Devices.’ Tap on your Google Home device.
- Although it may take a moment, your devices will pair.
Now you can play your music or audio through your Google Home using the controls on your iPhone.
Pair Using the Google Home App
Another option to pair your devices via BlueTooth is using the Google Home App as we explained above. This method is also simple, but you’ll need the Google Home App, a Gmail Account, and internet connection to complete the following steps.
- Open the Google Home app and tap on the Home icon in the lower left corner.
- Tap on the device you’d like to pair with your iPhone.
- In the upper right corner, tap the settings cog.
- Tap ‘Audio.’
- Tap ‘Paired Bluetooth devices.’
- Tap to enable pairing on your Google Home device.
That’s all there is to it! Fortunately, the Google Home is perfectly compatible with iOS devices. No matter your preferred operating system, you can still have access to everything that the Google Home has to offer.