How To Recover Deleted Messages from Instagram
Have you ever deleted an Instagram direct message and then wished later you hadn’t? Well, the good news is that you can retrieve these messages. But while Instagram doesn’t make the steps to do this outwardly apparent, the process is relatively straightforward.
If you are looking for a way to recover your deleted Instagram messages, then keep reading. In this article, we cover a few ways to retrieve your DMs that are quick and easy to follow.
Recover Deleted Messages Instagram
Using Instagram Data
Whether you prefer to keep things tidy and frequently clean up your Instagram inbox, or you accidentally deleted your DMs, you may at some point want to retrieve them. There are a few ways to do this, the first being by using Instagram Data.
When you delete your messages, they disappear from your iOS or Android device but remain on Instagram’s servers. Using Instagram Data, you can download this stored information that includes videos, photos, and messages. From this data, you can then extract your deleted messages.
Before we get started, it is important to note that you will need to follow these steps on Instagram’s web page, as the app does not allow for this process. Let’s get started:
- Open your internet browser and navigate to https://www.instagram.com/ and sign in to your account.
- Click the “Profile” icon located in the top right corner of the screen.
- From here, click on the “Edit Profile” button.
- Choose the “Privacy and Security” option from the pop-up menu on the left of the screen.
- Scroll through the menu and locate “Data Download.” Click on the option beneath this header called “Request Download.”
- Verify your identity by signing in to your Instagram account again and input your credentials.
- Enter your email address. Instagram will send a link that takes you to the data files you requested.
- Click “Next.”
- Re-enter your password before clicking on “Request Download.” Instagram will now send you the data in an email.
- Check your email for the message from Instagram. It should have the subject, “Your Instagram Data.” In the message, click on the button labeled “Download Data.” The information will then download as a zip file.
- Unzip this folder and open it. Locate the file named “messages.json” and open it with a text editor (you can right click and choose “Open With.”)
All the messages you have sent on Instagram will be available in the folder.
It is important to note a few things with this method. First, Instagram can take up to 48 hours to send you the email containing your data. If the email does not arrive in your inbox immediately, don’t be alarmed. Also, the link sent to you in the email expires four days after you receive it. If you click the link after four days of receiving the email, it won’t work, and you’ll need to repeat the steps above.
Another way to retrieve your messages is by using Facebook. Facebook acquired Instagram in 2012, and as a result, many of the applications on the two platforms were linked. This comes in handy when you are trying to recover deleted Instagram messages.
However, for this method to work, your Instagram account will need to be linked to your Facebook account. You will know if your accounts are linked because each time you post on Instagram, you will be asked if you want to share your post to Facebook.
Also, you will need to use your web browser for this method and not the apps on your iOS or Android device.
To get started on retrieving your messages, these are the steps to follow:
- Sign in to your Facebook account (this must be the account linked to your Instagram profile.)
- Navigate to your Facebook inbox. This icon looks like a speech bubble with a lightning bolt inside it.
- In the left pane of the window will be the option for “Instagram Direct.” (This may also display as an icon only. This icon looks like a paper airplane.) Click on this option.
- Sort through these messages to find the DM you are looking for.
This option is excellent for those instances when you urgently need the information and don’t have the time to wait 48 hours as is required by the steps above for Instagram Data.
Keep in mind that your two social media accounts must be linked in advance before attempting this option. If not, you won’t see the option for “Instagram Direct” in step 3, and you won’t be able to access your DM’s.
Using a Third-Party App
Lastly, you can recover deleted Instagram messages using a third-party app. You can download these apps from the App Store (for iOS users) or the Google Play Store (Android users.)
These tools work by accessing the cache files on your iOS or Android device to retrieve deleted data and messages. The software allows you to recover a variety of files, not just texts or DMs. These apps are relatively simple to use and come with easy-to-follow instructions that make it quick and easy to get back your deleted information.
If you use an iPhone, a popular software to use is U.Fone. This program can also be used on your Mac or Windows PC to recover lost data. This tool allows you to retrieve your lost Instagram DMs and a range of other data, too, including text messages, photos, videos, Whatsapp data, call history, contacts, and audio files.
Android users can make use of FoneLab or similar software. Fonelab makes it easy to recover deleted data such as messages, photos, videos, audio files, contacts, and even Whatsapp data. The software is quick and easy to install and guides you through the steps to take to gain back your information. FoneLab also offers software iOS recovery and a host of other options such as data backup and restore.
While using software such as this can be helpful, it is always a good idea to check out the programs you’re going to use first. Many advertised options are scams. Hackers use these to gain access to your personal information and social media profiles. Online Instagram Recovery Tools often form part of these scams. Downloading software such as those suggested above is a far safer option.
Instagram Messages Recovered
Recovering your deleted Instagram messages is simple once you know how. The steps outlined in this article will help make retrieving your data quick and simple. Whether you choose to use Instagram Data, Facebook, or a third-party app, gaining back your deleted DMs will take no time at all.
Have you recovered your deleted Instagram messages before? Did you use a process similar to those shown in this guide? Or, did you use a different method? Tell us about it in the comments section below.