How to Remove an Account From Outlook
Email has become essential to online life. Most people now have at least two email accounts (usually a primary and a secondary). Microsoft Outlook allows you to be signed in to multiple accounts simultaneously (up to 20 per device). If you have a lot of email accounts set up on your device, you may find that you’re checking some more than others and want to prune some from the list.
Keep reading to learn how to do this via Outlook (for Windows or Mac) and the Outlook app (for iOS or Android).
Note: After removing an Outlook account, you can still access it by signing back in or by signing in on another device.
How to Remove an Account From the Outlook iPhone App
You can remove your account using the Outlook App for iOS by doing the following:
- Open the Outlook App.
- Go to “Settings” and select the account you wish to remove.
- Tap “Delete Account,” then “Delete” to confirm.
How to Remove an Account From the Outlook Android App
Follow these steps to remove it using the Outlook app for Android:
- Launch the Outlook app.
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Select the account you want to remove, then hit “Delete Account.”
- Tap “Delete” again to confirm.
How to Remove an Account From Outlook on a Windows 10 PC
Here’s how to remove your Outlook account using Windows 10:
- Open Outlook and select “File,” then “Info.”
- Choose the “Account Settings” pull-down menu, then “Account Settings.”
- Select the account you want to remove, then click “Remove.” A warning message will pop up advising that all offline cached content for your account will be deleted. That will affect any content stored locally on your computer.
- Choose “Ok” to confirm.
How to Remove an Account From Outlook on a Mac
By following the steps below, you can remove an account from Outlook on a Mac:
- Open Outlook.
- Click “Outlook” in the top menu bar.
- Select “Preferences,” then “Accounts.”
- Click on the account you want to remove, then click the minus (-) icon on the bottom-left corner.
- Click “Delete” in the warning message pop-up.
How Do I Permanently Delete My Outlook Email Account?
Note: This method will permanently close your Outlook account. Your data will be removed from the server and cannot be recovered, nor will you have access to other Microsoft services like OneDrive and Skype through it.
Follow these steps to delete your account permanently:
1. Navigate to this link to close your account.
2. There, you’ll be prompted to sign in. Do so with the account you wish to delete.
3. Check the current Microsoft account is shown, then choose “Next.”
4. Go through the list, then check the checkboxes to accept that you’ve read the items.
5. Select your reason for closing the account in the “Select a reason” pull-down list.
6. Choose “Mark account for closure.”
How Do I Delete All Outlook Profiles?
Suppose you use Outlook as your primary email app. At some point, you may need to delete a corrupted profile. Sometimes you can correct a corrupted file by adding a new profile using a different name, or you can delete it via “Control Panel.”
Here’s how to delete Outlook profiles or Office 365 accounts using Windows 10:
1. Open the “Control Panel” (find it in your Start menu or search for it).
2. Choose “User Accounts,” then “Mail.”
3. Via the “Mail Setup” window, choose the option to “Show Profiles.”
4. Select the profile you wish to delete, then select “Remove.”
5. Choose “Yes” to confirm in the pop-up, then “OK.”
How Do I Remove a Connected Account From Outlook?
If you don’t want another email account connected to Outlook.com, you can remove it from Outlook.com. You’ll only be removing the connection and not the email account or messages. Follow these steps to remove a connected account via Outlook.com:
1. Sign in to your Outlook.com account.
2. Click “Settings,” “View all Outlook settings,” then “Sync email.”
3. Via “Manage your connected accounts,” hover your cursor over the account you wish to remove, hit “Delete,” then “Save.”
Once the account has been removed from Outlook.com, you can delete the email messages from the connected account.
Housekeeping Your Outlook Accounts
As Microsoft’s primary email, calendar, and contacts program, Outlook comes in many forms. The Outlook app for iOS and Android, Outlook.com, and the Outlook desktop app are among them. They allow access to your account from any device, though they each work slightly differently.
One feature they all have in common is that you can remove an account from any device without affecting your data. On the other hand, deleting an account is quite different. Once your account is deleted, all data is permanently deleted from the server, and you’ll no longer have access to other Microsoft services through it.
How many email accounts do you have? If it’s more than one, do they all receive equal attention? Tell us about it in the comments section below.