How To Rename Your AirPods
The ability to name Bluetooth devices might not be a crucial feature, but it certainly helps keep track of one’s gadgets. Giving your AirPods custom names can make it easier to pick them off your list of devices every time you use them. In addition, this feature also leaves room for a tremendous amount of creativity.
You can use any compatible device to rename your Apple AirPods. However, the name change will only apply across devices when you use Apple for the task. Read the instructions for your platform below.
How to Rename AirPods on an iPhone
Renaming your AirPods using your iPhone requires just a few taps. First, you’ll need to connect the AirPods as usual. Here’s how to do it.
- Turn on your iPhone’s Bluetooth and take your AirPods out of their case.
- If they didn’t connect automatically, go to your iPhone’s settings and find “Bluetooth.”
- Tap “Not Connected” next to your AirPods. Once connected, tap the info icon next to your AirPods on the same page.
- Tap their name, and you’ll be able to enter a new one.
- Hit “Done,” and they’re good to go.
AirPods name changes under a specific Apple ID will also apply the change on all other devices that are logged in with the same ID.
How to Rename AirPods on an Android Device
Many people use AirPods with Android devices as well. You can rename your AirPods on your Android, but changing their name this way will only save it on the device itself. It won’t change it across all your other devices. If your AirPods are already paired with your phone, head straight to your Bluetooth settings to edit their name.
- Long-press the Bluetooth icon in your pull-down menu to open the settings.
- Turn on your Bluetooth and wait until the paired devices list shows up.
- Press the gear icon next to your AirPods’ name.
- Tap the “Rename” option and give a new name to your buds.
- Hit “Rename,” and you’re done.
If you use your AirPods on multiple devices, repeat the steps for each device.
How to Rename AirPods on a Windows PC
Renaming your AirPods on Windows will be a breeze if your PC supports Bluetooth. There’s one caveat: the changes will only apply to your computer, and your AirPods will still appear under their old names on other devices. Nevertheless, giving a custom name to your AirPods can still help you keep your PC’s Bluetooth device list organized. Here’s how to do it if your AirPods are already paired.
- Open your Control Panel from the Windows menu.
- Select “Devices and Printers.”
- Find your AirPods on the list of Bluetooth devices.
- Right-click them and select “Properties.”
- Switch to the “Bluetooth” tab.
- Edit the name of your device.
- Hit “Apply,” then “OK.”
How to Rename AirPods on an iPad
Follow the steps below to rename your AirPods using your iPad.
- Enable Bluetooth on your iPad. Take your AirPods out of their case to connect them.
- If they didn’t connect, open your Settings app and go to “Bluetooth” to pair them manually.
- Once they are connected, tap the info button next to your AirPods.
- Press the current name and type in your new one.
- Tap “Done,” and your AirPods’ name will be changed.
How to Rename AirPods on a Mac
You can also use your Mac to rename your AirPods. Ensure you’re logged into your Apple ID, and the name will update on all other devices. Follow these steps to change your AirPods’ name.
- Turn on your Bluetooth and ensure your AirPods are paired to your Mac.
- Click the Apple menu and go to System Preferences.
- Select “Bluetooth.”
- Right-click or control-click your AirPods on the list, and select “Rename.”
- Type their new name and confirm the edits.
How to Rename AirPods on a Chromebook
If you’re a Chromebook user, you might need to find a workaround for renaming your AirPods, as this operating system doesn’t support this feature. If you have an Apple device, you can use it to rename the AirPods, which will also be displayed under their new name on your Chromebook.
If you have an iPhone, the steps are the following.
- Make sure your iPhone’s Bluetooth is on
- Take your AirPods out of their case and wear them. They will connect automatically. Go to your Settings and select “Bluetooth.”
- Find your AirPods on the list and tap the info button next to their name.
- Tap their name again on the next screen, and you’ll be able to rename them.
Mac users can follow these steps to rename their AirPods.
- Switch on your Mac’s Bluetooth
- Connect your AirPods by taking them out of their case and putting them on.
- Click the Apple logo and select “System Preferences.”
- Find your Bluetooth settings.
- Right-click your AirPods and select the “Rename” option.
- Rename your buds.
After completing these steps, the name of your AirPods will change across devices. Your Chromebook will register the change the next time you connect your buds.
Can I rename AirPods that aren’t mine?
If you purchased AirPods from someone else, you might see the previous owner’s name when using them. Unfortunately, as long as they are connected to the previous owner’s ID, you won’t be able to connect them with your own even after resetting them.
The best solution is to contact the previous owner and ask them to remove the device from their Apple ID. You can still use the AirPods if this isn’t possible. Resetting them will prevent the previous owner from seeing the AirPods’ location, even though you might not be able to rename them.
Can I rename first- and second-generation AirPods?
Yes, all AirPods support this feature, including the first, second, and third generation of regular AirPods, as well as AirPods Pro and AirPods Max. You can follow the instructions above to rename your AirPods regardless of their type.
Rename AirPods on Any Device
If you find the default name of your AirPods unimaginative, you can put your own twist on it by following the instructions above. Using an Apple device for the task is the only way to ensure that your AirPods’ new name will appear on all devices. However, you can still change the display name of the earbuds on Android and Windows, too.
Did you pick a creative or funny name for your AirPods? Or do you prefer to stick to something simple and traditional? Let us know in the comments section below.