How to Delete Channels on a Roku Device
Streaming services like Roku allow you to find channels that fit your interests perfectly, but there’s always a chance your taste will change over time. Should you decide to remove a channel from your account, you can do it quite easily. Since this service doesn’t have an option to hide or lock channels, sometimes removing them is the only option if you want them to disappear from your list.
Roku allows you to manage and remove your channels from different platforms, so you can delete a channel via the app even if you are physically away. This article will explain the different ways to delete channels from your Roku service, and it also briefly covers private channels.
How to Delete a Channel from the Roku Channel Menu
If you want a channel to stop appearing on your Roku channel list, you can remove it. You can delete channels in two ways – from your channel menu or using the Roku Channel Store.
Removing a Channel from the Roku Channel Menu
In order to delete a channel from the Roku Channel Menu, you should:
- Press the Home menu on your Roku remote control (house icon).
- Navigate to the channel that you wish to remove and press the Star key (*).
- Choose Remove channel in the window.
- Confirm the removal by pressing OK on your remote.
This removes the channel from your channel list and nobody else will be able to access it from your account. Even if you opt for permanent removal, you can add the channel back at any time using your account and a 4-digit PIN.
Removing a Channel from the Channel Store
If you want to remove a channel directly from the store, you should:
- Hit the Home button on your remote and choose Streaming Channels to open the store window.
- Find the channel that you want to remove and press OK on the remote.
- From the options, choose Remove channel.
- Confirm the removal by pressing OK.
Removing a Channel via the Roku Phone App
If you have the Roku phone app, you can remove Roku channels while you’re away from home. This is a great option if you need to urgently prevent someone from watching certain channels. Simply follow these steps:
- Open the Roku Mobile App.
- Select Channels at the bottom of the app’s home screen.
- Open My Channels at the top of the screen to view the channel list.
- Tap and hold the channel that you want to remove. This will open the channel menu.
- Tap Remove on the channel menu.
- The app will prompt you to confirm, press OK.
The channel will now disappear from both the list on the app and your Roku account.
Removing Channels via Remote – Roku App
You may be surprised to know that the Roku app also has a remote that you can use to remove channels from another room. This will only work if your phone and your Roku device are on the same wifi network.
- To do this launch the Roku App, tap the Devices option, and then tap the Channels icon.
- Now, select the Channel Store option at the top of your screen and scroll through the options to filter the channel you’d like to remove.
- Tap on the channel you want to delete and then tap on Remove.
Installing Roku Private Channels
Roku offers a private channels option. This lets you watch channels that are not on your official channel list. You can only access them by using a code.
To install Roku’s private channels, you should:
- Visit the official Roku website and click on Sign in.
- Type in your sign-in credentials and access your account.
- In your account window, select Add channel with a code.
- In the Add channel window, type in the channel’s private code and click Add channel.
- A window will open, warning you that you’ll be adding a non-certified channel, press OK.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking you to confirm the channel, click on Yes, add channel.
Normally, the channel appears after a regular update – that is, within a day after you added it. If you want to see the channel on the list immediately, you should:
- Open Roku and go to Settings.
- Scroll down and choose System.
- From here, select System update.
- Choose Check Now.
This will update your system and the channel will appear. If you want to hide this channel, you can just remove it from your Roku and repeat this process again.
You can easily find various Roku private channel codes online with your search engine.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix my audio not working when I change between Roku channels?
As some users have experienced, not having audio work properly when you switch between Roku channels is annoying. The easiest way to fix this is to restart the Roku device.
1. Go to Settings > System > System restart and restart it.
Check Individual Channel Subscription
Once you decide to delete a paid channel, make sure to see what the state of your subscription is. All the channels renew their subscriptions automatically. This means that there is a chance that the app will charge you a service in spite of you removing the channel from your account.
Once you do this, removing a channel from Roku is easy to do. Just pick a method and get rid of anything you don’t enjoy anymore.