How to Delete Apps from a Samsung Smart TV
Samsung Smart TVs come with pre-installed applications, either from Samsung or another manufacturer. What’s more, you can easily install new apps from your Smart Hub. But what if you want to delete some apps? Can you do it?
This article will show you how to delete newly installed apps from your Samsung Smart TV. If we’ve got your attention, keep reading.
Deleting Apps on T, Q, LS Samsung Smart TVs
Some users have trouble deleting apps because the process is dependent on what model they own. That said, uninstalling apps on the newest Samsung Smart TVs is quite straightforward. Here’s what you have to do:
- Using your OneRemote, find the ‘Home’ button. This will open the Smart Hub.
- Look for ‘Settings,’ the gear icon.
- Scroll until you find ‘Support,’ and under it, select ‘Device Care.’
- You’ll see a quick scan of your TV, so wait for a few moments. Then, click on ‘Manage Storage.’
- Choose the apps you want to uninstall, and click on them.
- Next, tap ‘Delete.’
- You’ll need to confirm you want to delete these apps. Hit ‘OK.’
Deleting Apps on M/MU/NU/RU/Q/LS (2017-2019) Samsung Smart TVs
To delete apps from these particular models, you need to do this:
- Using your OneRemote, click on ‘Home.’
- Then, find ‘Apps.’
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner to open ‘Settings.’
- Look for the apps you want to delete from the list. Click on them and then select ‘Delete.
Deleting Apps on K/KU/KS Samsung Smart TVs
To delete apps from the 2016 Smart TVs series:
- Click ‘Home’ on your remote control and find ‘Apps.’
- Next, look for ‘Options’ in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- From the menu bar, select ‘Delete.’
- Then, tap on the apps you want to remove. Click on ‘Delete’ to uninstall them,
- Wait until you see they’ve been removed.
Deleting Apps on J/JU/JS (2015) Samsung Smart TVs
Removing apps from these models will go like this:
- Hold the colored button on your remote control and click on ‘Featured.’
- Choose ‘Apps.’
- Then, click on ‘Options’ in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose ‘Delete My Apps.’
- Select the apps you want to remove and click on ‘Delete’ in the upper corner of the screen.
- You’ll need to confirm you want to delete the apps, so hit ‘Yes.’
Deleting Apps on E/EH/ES (2012) and H/HU/F (2014) Samsung Smart TVs
If you’ve got a bit older series of Samsung Smart TV, removing apps is still possible. Get your remote control and do the following:
- Press ‘Smart Hub,’ which will then open ‘Smart Hub’ on your TV.
- Choose an app you want to uninstall.
- Then, hold ‘Tools’ on your remote control.
- Hit ‘Delete’ and then ‘Enter.’
- You must now confirm you want to delete an app, so highlight ‘Yes,’ and click ‘Enter.’
Which Apps Can You Delete?
Now that you know how to uninstall apps from the older and newer series of Samsung Smart TVs, you’re probably wondering if it’s possible to delete all apps. Perhaps you don’t want them cluttering your space. However, you can only delete the apps you install. The pre-installed apps can’t be removed as the ‘Delete’ option is disabled. These are usually Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
That said, there are hacks to do this. But keep in mind it won’t work for all models. Still, you can try the following if you want to delete a factory-installed app:
- Hold the ‘Home’ button on your remote.
- Click on ‘Apps.’
- Next, click on the ‘Number,’ button, and then press ‘12345.’
- The ‘Developer’ mode will now open.
- Toggle the ‘On’ button.
- Next, click on ‘OK.’ The ‘Developer’ mode will now allow you to remove the pre-installed apps.
- You’ll see that ‘Developer Mode is ON status,’ so hit ‘Close.’
After you’ve done all that, complete these steps:
- Go to ‘Settings’ in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select the apps you want to remove.
- Head to ‘Lock/Unlock’ and press it to lock the app.
- Next, you’ll have to type ‘0000.’ There’s now a lock icon on the app.
- Go to ‘Deep Link Test,’ and press it.
- You’ll get a popup window. Here, highlight ‘Content id’ and write anything. On your keyboard, click ‘Done.’
- You’ll now need to write a password. However, you’ll hit ‘Cancel.’
- The ‘Delete’ option, which was disabled before, should now be enabled.
- Choose the pre-installed app you want to remove and hit ‘Delete.’
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some more answers to your most frequently asked questions:
I’m having trouble with an app. Do I need to delete it?
If an application isn’t launching or isn’t working properly, you can take other steps before removing the app entirely. First, try a simple reboot on your TV. You can either turn it off, wait five seconds, and turn it back on or you can unplug it, wait, and plug it back in. Either way, a system reboot is a simple step to try that often works well.
If that doesn’t work, make sure that your Samsung Smart TV is running the latest software. You can do this by going into your TV’s settings and clicking on ‘Support’ then ‘Software Updates.’ If one is available, select ‘Update Now.’ When the update process is finished, try your app again.
If it still isn’t working, go ahead and uninstall it, then re-install it.
I don’t see the ‘Deep Link Test’ option. What else can I do?
One of the biggest complaints about Samsung Smart TVs is the bloatware. The pre-installed applications take up a lot of space, hindering your ability to download more content that fits your needs. Some TV models have the Deep Link Test option while greyed out, while others don’t have it all.
Unfortunately, we have yet to find a great workaround for those who don’t have the option to follow these steps as listed above. If you’ve run out of space on your TV and can’t remove the pre-installed bloatware, your only option is to use another device with more memory. A Firestick, Roku, or other device is relatively low cost and easy to use, but it still isn’t the perfect solution.
Removing the Unwanted Apps
A Samsung Smart TV is a fantastic addition to any living room. You get various pre-installed apps and can add any new one that you want. If you need to delete unwanted apps, our guide has hopefully given you all the tips and tricks you require.
Have you ever deleted an app on your Samsung Smart TV? What was the reason? Let us know in the comments section below.