How To Update the Apps on an LG Smart TV
Smart TVs have changed the game and are now an indispensable part of many of our living rooms. They not only show TV in high definition or Ultra HD but can access the internet, browse the web, use apps like Netflix and Hulu, and some can even play games. Like most smart devices, Smart TVs will need regular updates, which is what this tutorial is all about.
LG uses the webOS or Netcast platform, both of which make short work of developing apps and keeping them up to date. It’s a reliable platform that works across multiple TV types and is compatible with a vast range of apps. The LG App Store is a testament to just how many developers want to work with LG!
To update apps on an LG smart TV, you first want to check for new firmware as apps may not work properly if they are updated for the new firmware, but you haven’t got it yet.
Update the Firmware on an LG Smart TV
Smart TV firmware is released periodically to add new features, tighten up existing code, fix bugs, or make it more stable or secure. They aren’t released as often as phone firmware, for example, but on a schedule that only LG knows.
Similar to updating your phone, apps may need to be updated after a firmware update. Much depends on what changed in the firmware. If it was a significant change, LG apps will likely need to be updated to remain compatible. As the apps sit inside the firmware, updating that first and the apps after is logical.
There are two ways to go about updating the Firmware on your LG Smart TV. First, you can use an internet connection or use a USB with the necessary files to force the update. More commonly used is the internet option, so we’ll go with that.
You will also need to know if you’re TV is running webOS or Netcast. Netcast was originally launched in 2011, followed by webOS in 2014. Unfortunately, the instructions do vary depending on which software version you’re running, but we will cover them both in the sections below:
Update Firmware – Netcast
If your TV is running Netcast, follow these steps:
- Press the home button on your remote and select Settings in the lower left-hand corner.
- Use the remote to scroll down the menu on the left and click on the ? icon. Then, select Software Update.
- Make sure that software updates are turned on, then click on Check Update Version.
- If an update appears available follow the on-screen prompts to initialize it.
Update Firmware – webOS
As stated, the instructions may vary depending on your TVs’ OS. Here are the steps to follow if you’re using webOS:
- Press the home button on your remote and click on the Settings cog in the upper right-hand corner.
- At the bottom right you will see All Settings. Click it.
- Use the arrow buttons on your remote to highlight General on the left-hand side. Then, click About this TV on the right.
- Click to Allow automatic updates then, click on the Check for updates option.
- When an update appears you can follow the on-screen prompts to download and install it.
That’s all there is to completing an update of the Firmware on your LG Smart TV via the internet.
Update Firmware – USB
If that doesn’t work, but a newer firmware version is available, you can download it onto your computer and load it from a USB drive.
- Go to the LG support website.
- Enter your TV model into the Model Number box.
- Select the firmware version you want to download and select Download this File.
- Copy that file onto your USB drive without making any changes.
- Insert the USB drive into your TV and let it detect the drive.
- Navigate to Setup and Support with the remote.
- Select install from file and point the TV to the USB drive.
- Allow the TV to update.
It will take a few minutes to read from the USB, but your TV should install the new firmware, reboot a couple of times, and then load using the new install.
Update Apps on an LG Smart TV
Now your firmware is up to date; you can safely update your apps. You will need to load the LG Content Store for this to happen. If you’re using a newer smart TV, the apps should update automatically, and you don’t need to do anything.
If the apps don’t update, open each one to prompt a check, and you may or may not see an update notification.
Fortunately, the process of updating apps on your LG Smart TV is pretty straightforward. But, you will need a stable internet connection to complete the process.
Here is how you can update apps on your LG Smart TV:
- Turn on your Smart TV and click the home button on the remote. Then, click on the LG Content Store.
- Click on Apps. Then, click on My Apps.
- The apps on your TV should appear. Click on each one and click Update if available. Or, click All to see all of your apps and click Update All.
The process may take a little while, but this is an excellent workaround if your apps didn’t update automatically. Do keep in mind that LG Smart TV apps generally look after themselves. They update themselves and will automatically detect a firmware change once you update the TV itself. It’s a very straightforward system that needs minimal management. There may be times when an app won’t update but all you need to do then is uninstall it and reinstall it again.
Set up automatic updates on an LG smart TV
While some users are opposed to automatic updates, they do serve the purpose of giving you a seamless, hands-off experience. It’s probably a good idea to keep automatic updates on. Here’s how to turn them on if they aren’t already.
- Turn on the TV and select Home on the remote.
- Select Settings and All Settings.
- Select General and About This TV.
- Check the box next to Allow Automatic Updates.
- You can Check for Updates while you’re there if you haven’t just updated everything using this tutorial.
Once you set up automatic updates, the TV manages itself. Every time you turn it on and it has a wireless connection, it will check for firmware and app updates. Now you don’t have to do a thing to keep it updated!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have more questions about keeping your LG Smart TV up-to-date, keep reading.
What do I do if I can’t update an app?
If you’re having a problem with a particular app on your TV and you’ve tried the steps above to correct it, your only remaining option is to delete the app and reinstall it. Assuming you’ve followed the steps above to update your TVs’ firmware, the newest version of the application should automatically download onto your TV, correcting any problems you’re having.
Is it necessary to update the apps on my TV?
As mentioned above, LG does a pretty good job of updating apps for you. So, this isn’t something you should have to do all the time. But, whenever the apps’ developers release a new update, they’re fixing bugs and security issues. It’s for these reasons that you should keep your apps (and firmware) up-to-date.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
5 thoughts on “How To Update the Apps on an LG Smart TV”