How to Save a Route in Google Maps
Knowing how to save a route in Google Maps can be quite useful if you’re planning a trip. Not only does this feature allow you to plan your journey efficiently, but it can also prevent you from getting lost along the way. You can even download maps to view offline, so you don’t need an internet connection to see where you’re supposed to go.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to save a route in Google Maps on your phone and PC. In addition, we’ll answer some common questions regarding Google Maps routes.
How To Save Routes in Google Maps on Every Device
Even though you can plan and create your own routes in Google Maps down to the last detail, you can only save a route on your Android device. However, once you create a route on your PC, you can send the directions to your phone, where they can be saved.
To save a route on Google Maps on your Android device, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Maps on your phone.
- Type your destination in the search bar.
- Tap on Directions in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Type in your current location or the location where you’ll start the route.
- Select how you will be traveling (driving, motorcycle, transit, walking, rides, and cycling).
- Go to Navigate in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Tap on Pin on the bottom toolbar.
You can also save the destination. To do this, type in the direction in the search bar and tap on Save on the bottom toolbar. Google Maps will ask you whether you want the route to be saved in the following folders: Favorites, Want to Go, Starred Places, Bookmarks, or if you want to create a new list. When you want to open the map and start the route, simply open Google Maps and go to the Saved tab on the bottom toolbar.
If you aren’t happy with the route that Google Maps planned out for you, you can review other possible routes. When you choose the one that works best for you, just tap on it.
Google Maps is usually pre-installed on your Android, but if you don’t have the app and don’t want to install it, you can still use it on the web version. If you have an iPhone, you can download Google Maps and follow the same steps to save a route. Apart from your computer, you can also save a route in Google Maps on your tablet.
As mentioned before, you can’t save a route in Google Maps on your PC, but you can send it to your phone or any other device. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open Google Maps on your browser.
- In the Search Google Maps search bar, type in your destination.
- Click on Directions on the left side of your screen.
- Type in your current location, or where you’ll be starting your journey. You’ll see all the routes to that destination; the recommended route will be blue.
- Select your travel options (bus, subway, bike, train, tram, or walking).
- Go to Send directions to your phone.
- Choose whether you want the directions to be sent directly to your phone, by email, or via text.
You should get a notification from Google Maps on your phone right away. Even though you can’t save a route in Google Maps on your PC, you can save the destination. This is how it’s done:
- Open Google Maps.
- Type in your destination in the search bar.
- Click on Save underneath the destination picture.
- Select the list where you want to save the destination (Favorites, Want to Go, Starred Places, Bookmarks, or new list you create).
You can also create your own map in Google Maps’ My Maps. Here’s how it’s done:
- Search My Maps on Google.
- Go to Create a New Map in the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Choose Add directions under the search bar.
- Type in where you want to go.
- Add your start location.
- Choose how you will get there (walking, driving, cycling, etc.).
You can select items, add markers, draw lines, measure distances, name the map, and write the description once you’re done. You can share it with whoever you want through a link or via Google Drive.
Does my Google Maps saved route ever expire?
When you save a route in Google Maps on your phone or tablet, it has an expiration date of 30 days. That’s why we recommend planning a route in the same month you’re going to go on a trip. However, routes are generally easy to create and save, so even if it expires, you can save it all over again in a matter of moments.
Travel Better With Google Maps
Now you know how to save a route in Google Maps on your phone and how to share a route from your PC. You also know how to customize a route and save a map so you can use it offline. Once you save all the necessary routes and maps, your journey can begin.
Have you ever saved a route in Google Maps before? Did you use the same method we went over in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.