How to Send a Message on Facebook to Multiple Friends
Facebook Messenger is a popular messaging service that allows users to message anyone with a Facebook account. You can use the function from within Facebook or separately with the Messenger app.
Facebook Messenger is great for group chats. Unlike group texts, you can assign admins, add or remove other users, and quickly locate any shared media or files. This article will teach you everything you need to know about sending Facebook messages to a group of friends.
Things to Know
Before you begin sending Facebook messages, there are a few things you should know. If you’re already familiar with how to send messages, skip ahead. But, for those of you who are new to the platform, this section is for you.
To start, there are several ways to access Facebook Messenger:
- Using the Facebook Messenger app for iOS or Android – You will need to install this app if you’re using a mobile device.
- Using Facebook’s website.
- Using the Facebook Messenger website – This website provides a bit more Messenger functionality than the Facebook website.
You can choose to download the Messenger app on your mobile device or use the website on your computer or phone.
Next, you’ll need to send friend requests to anyone you want in your Facebook Messenger group. The reason you want to friend other users you’d like to message is because if you aren’t friends with the other user, your messages will go in to their Message Request folder and they may not see it.
Finally, when you’ve figured out which Messenger platform you want to use and you’ve compiled your Facebook friends, it’s time to start messaging!
How to Send a Facebook Message to Multiple Friends
You can create Messenger groups and send texts to up to 150 friends at one time. In the following sections, we’ll show you how to do that using the various platforms mentioned above.
How to Add Multiple Friends to a Facebook Message Group – Web Browser
If you prefer to use a web browser, you can follow these steps to add multiple friends to a Facebook chat:
- Open Facebook and log into your account.
- Click on the Messenger icon in the upper right corner.
- Tap on the new message icon in the upper right corner of the dialogue box.
- Start typing the names of friends you’d like to add to your message.
- After you type one name, add another. When you’ve added everyone, start typing your first message.
Now, you can go back to this group anytime you want to communicate a message. You’ll find it in your conversation list.
If you would rather use the dedicated Facebook Messenger website, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Facebook Messenger website and log into your Facebook account.
- Click the new message icon in the menu to the left.
- Start typing the names of friends you want to add to your group.
- Keep adding names until you’ve included everyone. Then, start typing.
Now the group message will appear in your list of conversations so you can go back to it anytime.
How to Add Multiple Friends to a Facebook Message – Mobile App
If you prefer to use a mobile device to chat with your friends, follow these steps to add multiple friends to a group chat:
- Open the Facebook Messenger app and tap on the pen icon in the upper right corner.
- Tap on Create new group.
- Start typing your friend’s names or scroll through the list and check the bubbles to the right.
- After you’ve added all of your friends, tap Next in the upper right corner.
- Type a name for your group. Then, tap Create.
- Now, you can send messages to your group of friends.
Like the methods above, you can quickly find your new group chat in the conversations section of the Messenger app.
How to Moderate Your Facebook Group Message
Now that you know how to send a message to multiple friends on Facebook, you may be interested to learn a few tricks that will help you moderate your new group. Here are some things you can do:
If you missed a few friends, or you want to expand your group, you can. Here’s how:
- Open Messenger and navigate to your friend group.
- Tap on the i icon in the upper right corner.
- Tap on the Add option under the group’s name.
- Select the friend you’d like to add and tap Next in the upper right-hand corner.
Remove Group Members
You can easily remove members too. Here’s how:
- Navigate to the group and tap on the i icon.
- Tap on See Group Members.
- Select the user you’d like to remove.
- Tap Remove from group.
Do keep in mind a message will appear letting everyone else in the chat know that you removed the group member.
Turn on Member Requests
If you don’t want anyone else to invite members, you can turn on Member Requests. Here’s what to do:
- Open the group chat and tap the i icon in the upper right corner.
- Tap on Member Requests.
- Toggle the option On.
Now, only you or group admins can invite other users.
Managing a group all by yourself can be tedious. But, you can assign other users the power to make necessary changes. To add admins, do this:
- Open the group message and tap on the i icon.
- Tap on See Group Members.
- Tap the Admins tab. Then, tap on Add.
- Select your new admins from the list.
How to Send a Message on Facebook
You can send messages to anyone on your friends list.
Sometimes you can send messages to other people too, depending on their privacy settings. If you send them a message without sending them a friend request, your message will appear as a Message Request in their notifications. They can choose to accept or not accept it.
There are two ways to send someone a message. You can either:
- Type the name of a person in Facebook search.
- Click to open the person’s profile.
- Click the Message button in the bottom right corner of their cover photo.
- When a new window appears, type your message.
- Click on the circle icon that’s between your Notifications and Friends requests icons.
- A list of recent messages will appear.
- Under these messages, you’ll find the See all in Messenger option-click there.
- The Chat page will open with all your messages.
- Scroll through the messages on the left side to choose a person to message.
- If you’re messaging someone for the first time, start typing their name in the Search Messenger field on the left.
- When their profile appears, click to start a conversation.
Note: You can also click on the New Message option after you click on the circle icon. The New Message window will appear at the bottom of the screen and you’ll be able to type in the name of a person and send them a message.
Can I Send a Message Separately?
It isn’t possible to send a message separately and avoid creating a group chat, unless you’re messaging guests about an event you’re hosting. If this is the case, do the following:
- Find your event in the left menu on your home page and open it.
- Click on your event’s name to open.
- Scroll down and look for Guest List.
- Choose which guests you’d like to message.
- Type in your message and click on the Send button.
You will send this message individually to each guest unless you want to make it a group message. In that case, you need to use the Message Friends option and select friends you want to send messages.
Frequently Asked Questions
Facebook Messenger is incredibly user friendly. But, if you didn’t learn everything you wanted to know above, keep reading.
Can I leave a Group?
Absolutely! If you no longer wish to be a part of the group anymore you can leave. All you need to do is tap the i icon from within the group. Then, scroll down and tap Leave Group. Confirm that you’d like to leave the chat.
Can I delete or unsend a message?
Yes! If you accidentally sent a message long-press the text. Then, tap Unsend. Finally, tap Remove for everyone.
Your message will disappear, but the rest of the group will see a notification that you removed a message.
Can I delete a group?
Yes. But it takes a few steps and it’s a bit of a workaround. Here’s what you need to do to delete a group you created:
1. Open the group and remove all members (see instructions above).
2. Tap on the i icon from the chat.
3. Tap on the three dot menu in the upper right corner.
4. Tap Delete Conversation.
Now, the chat will completely disappear.
Chatting with multiple friends can be really fun and definitely saves time. What are your favorite varieties of group chats? Tell us in the comments section!