How to Send a Message to Yourself on Discord
Many popular messaging apps let you send a message to yourself: for instance, Telegram, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger. This feature can be used to save important links, funny pictures, or set reminders – even write down your grocery list if you wish to.
Although Discord doesn’t have the self-messaging function built-in, we’ve found a workaround. In this guide, we’ll provide instructions for messaging yourself on Discord’s PC, iPhone, Android, and iPad versions.
How to Send a Message to Yourself on Discord on a PC
The solution to Discord’s lack of a self-messaging feature is simple, and you may already be familiar with it from other social apps. To send a message to yourself, you’ll need to create a new group. However, the group should have no other members but you. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Discord and log in to your account.
- Select “Friends” from the left sidebar.
- Click the plus icon next to Direct Messages to create a new direct message group. Depending on which version of Discord.
- You’ll see a list of your friends whom you can add to the group. Don’t select anyone – instead, click “Create Group DM” at the bottom.
- Once the new group is created, type your message and send it. You can find the group at any time in your “Direct Messages” panel.
How to Send a Message to Yourself on Discord on an iPhone
To send yourself a message in Discord’s iPhone app, you should create a direct message group with no one but you. Follow the steps below to do that:
- Launch Discord’s iOS app and sign in to your account.
- Tap the “Friends” icon located on the left side of your screen.
- Tap the speech bubble icon with a plus to create a new direct message group.
- Skip the friend selection and tap “Create Group DM” at the bottom of the page.
- The new group should now appear in your “Direct Messages” tab. You can open it to send yourself a message at any time.
How to Send a Message to Yourself on Discord on an Android
Although Discord doesn’t have a self-messaging feature, you can create a group with only yourself and use it as a personal notepad. Here’s how to create a new direct message group in Discord’s Android app:
- Launch the mobile app and log in to your account.
- Tap the “Friends” icon on the left-hand side to access your Friends list.
- Tap the “Create Group DM” icon – it looks like a speech bubble with a plus.
- You’ll see a user selection screen. Don’t add anyone to your group – instead, tap “Create Group DM” at the bottom of your screen.
- Write yourself a message and send it. You can access your personal group at any time via the “Direct Messages” menu.
How to Send a Message to Yourself on Discord on an iPad
To send yourself a message via Discord’s iOS app for iPad, you must first create a personal direct message group. Follow the instructions below to do that:
- Launch the Discord iOS app and log in to your account.
- Navigate to the “Friends” tab by tapping the human silhouette icon on the left.
- Tap the speech bubble icon in the top right corner.
- Skip the user selection step by tapping “Create Group DM” at the bottom.
- Type yourself a message and send it. You can access your personal messages at any time via the “Direct Messages” menu.
Is Discord planning to implement the self-messaging feature in the future?
There’s no way to know for sure whether Discord’s developers are planning to add the self-messaging feature sometime in the future. However, they’ve acknowledged user interest in this feature in recent years.
This doesn’t mean that developers will do anything about it, though. For instance, in 2017, a Twitter user asked, “@discordapp Is there a way to chat with just myself? Useful on Slack, Facebook, etc., so I can record notes for later (e.g., at work vs. home).” Discord’s official Twitter account replied with, “Hmmm, you can’t DM yourself, but you could create a server for this purpose!”. This may indicate that developers consider the workaround to be too simple to invest time and money in designing a proper self-messaging feature.
Hopefully, our guide has helped you send yourself a message on Discord. Although the solution is simple, we believe that users would still benefit from a proper self-messaging feature. It would make the process much easier, eliminating the need to create group chats.
Would you like to see the self-messaging feature on Discord? Which other features would you like Discord developers to add? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.