How to Block a Number in Signal
If an unwanted person is pestering you on Signal, you’ll want to block their number. Fortunately, this is a straightforward process that will rid you of the nuisance once and for all.
In this article, we’ll show you how to block a number on Signal and answer all the burning questions related to the issue.
How to Block a Number on Signal
Though Signal is a pretty secure platform for messaging and calls, it is by no means bulletproof. Even if you took the precaution of setting up your Signal account using a Google Voice number, chances are someone will eventually slip through the cracks and wind up bothering you. Thankfully, blocking them is as easy as this:
- Open the Signal app on your chosen device.
- Go to your inbox.
- Open a conversation with/from the person you wish to block.
- Tap their name at the top of this screen.
- Hit “Block User” at the bottom of this screen and confirm it by clicking “Block” afterward.
- Tap “OK” in the pop-up, and you’re done.
How to Block a Number on Your Contact List on Signal
Sadly, you may have to block someone on your contact list so that they can never contact you again. If find yourself in an unfortunate situation like this, these are the steps you should follow:
- Open your contacts within the app. Tap on the “New message” icon to bring up your Signal contact list.
- Pick out the contact that you wish to block.
- At the upper-left corner, tap on the contact’s name or profile icon.
- At the bottom of the screen, hit the “Block” option.
- Confirm your action by hitting “Block.”
And that’s it. After you’ve performed these actions, that person won’t be able to contact you again via Signal.
How to Block Numbers and Groups in Signal
At times, you may find yourself randomly added to a group and have no idea how you got there. But what’s worse is not knowing how to extract yourself from the situation. Luckily, blocking en masse is just as easy as blocking an individual. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Signal app on your phone.
- Open a chat with the undesired contact or number.
- Tap the header of the chat with the group name or contact.
- Select “Block this group.”
- Hit “block” again to confirm your intentions.
- Select “OK” to finish the process.
And that’s that taken care of. If you go back to the chat with the group you have blocked, you will see an alert indicating that you will receive no further correspondence from them until you unblock them.
How to Block Signal Users on Android
Blocking someone from Signal on Android shouldn’t take more than a minute or two. Afterward, the person concerned won’t be able to contact you again. They won’t know that you have blocked them either. All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Select the app from your Android’s home screen.
- Tap your profile in the top left-hand corner of the app screen.
- From this menu, select “Privacy.”
- Select “Blocked Users.”
- Then tap on “Add blocked user.”
- At this point, your contacts list will pop up. Select the contact/s you wish to block.
How to Block Signal Users on iPhone
If you have recently switched over to an iPhone from Android, you’ve probably noticed that everything seems to work slightly differently. Options and menus are generally quite similar but often found in different places. However, the good news is that the process is still really simple. To block Signal users from your iPhone, here’s what you need to do:
- Open up the Signal app on your iPhone.
- First, go to the chat with the person you don’t want to hear from.
- At this point, if the user is not in your contacts, it may give you the option to block.
- Tap this pop up and then hit “Block.”
Alternatively, when you don’t get that pop-up message, the steps are as follows:
- Tap on the contact you wish to block.
- Choose “Block this user” from the menu.
- Tap “Block” on the pop-up menu.
- Hit “OK” to confirm.
How to Unblock Users on Android
If you block the wrong person by mistake, don’t worry, all is not lost. In fact, this person doesn’t even need to know that you’ve blocked them. To open up the lines of communication again, do as follows:
- Open up the Signal app on your Android device.
- Then tap on your Signal profile.
- Choose “Privacy” from the menu.
- Select “Blocked users.”
- Tap the contact or number you wish to unblock and tap “Unblock.”
How to Unblock Users on iPhone
There are quite a few different ways to unblock Signal users on iPhone. All of them work, but some are easier and more logical than others. Here’s the quickest way around the problem:
- Go to the Signal app on your iPhone.
- Tap the chat thread with the user you want to unblock.
- You will notice a red banner that says “You blocked this user.”
- Select “Unblock user” at the bottom of this screen
And that’s all there is to it. You should now be instantly able to resume communications with the person you have blocked. In some cases, you may have already decided to delete the existing conversation thread with the user in question. Not to worry. This doesn’t mean that they can’t be unblocked again. Here’s a quick workaround for that scenario:
- Go to the “Main settings” section of your Signal app.
- Hit the cog icon on the top left of your screen.
- Then, tap “Privacy” on the settings page.
- Next up, hit “Blocked” at the top of the screen.
- Tap on the number you wish to unblock.
- Hit “Unblock” on the pop-up menu and “OK” to finalize your decision.
What Happens When I Unblock a Contact?
The first thing that happens is that you will instantly be able to communicate again. Texts and calls will go through as normal. There is one thing that may catch some people out, though. All messages sent by that person while they were blocked will have been lost in the ether.
So, if you’ve blocked them by mistake, you may need to start working on a story! Apart from that, it’s business as usual.
How to View Blocked Users in Signal?
If your number is particularly highly trafficked, it can be hard to keep track of who has been blocked and who hasn’t. Luckily, Signal is a pretty easy and intuitive app to use. Finding your blocklist doesn’t take much time and effort at all.
Here’s how to go about it:
• Open the Signal app on your device.
• Tap on the three dots in the top right corner.
• Then hit “Privacy.”
• Then tap on “Blocked contacts.”
This will bring up a list of everyone you have blocked. You can also unblock people from this screen if you want to.
What Happens When I Block in Signal?
Great question. When you block in Signal, it doesn’t automatically send a message to the person you have blocked informing them of the situation. This means that you can block as you wish without adding any extra unwanted drama.
When the blocked person sends you a message, it will still appear as sent on their side. But the message will never show up on your phone. Instead, it disappears into the ether.
How Will I Know if I Have Been Blocked in Signal?
Effectively, in most cases, you won’t have any clue that you have been blocked. Instead, it will just seem like the person you are messaging hasn’t checked their inbox.
Quick and Easy Ways to Block Numbers on Signal
So, there you have it. It’s pretty quick and hassle-free to block people and groups on Signal. Overall, the app is a secure and solid way to communicate privately with your contacts. However, it isn’t Signal’s responsibility to ensure your privacy. To really tighten up your personal security, we recommend changing your number on Signal.
What other apps would you recommend for secure communications? We’d be glad to hear about them in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
Comments are closed.