How to Get Rid of Discover in Snapchat
Nobody likes clickbait and ads on Snapchat and you can run across them a lot in the Discover section of the app. While the Discover section update goes back to 2015, it can still be pretty annoying. The content may not be relevant to you and the ads can be pushy.
Unfortunately, you can’t remove the Discover section. But we’ve found a way around this so it doesn’t bother you.
In this article, we’re going over how to get rid of the Discover section so that you can enhance your Snapchat experience.
Getting Rid of Discover
The approach we recommend isn’t disabling the section in its entirety. There simply isn’t a way to do that. However, we will show you how to filter out both unrelated and inappropriate content. Our approach will make the content that you come across in your Discover section much more useful.
- Begin by hiding the channels you don’t want to see. Simply tap and hold the video from a channel you don’t like in your Discover section. Select “Hide” from the pop-up menu.
Note: Once you hide a channel, it shows up as blocked on your discover channel. This triggers the algorithm to learn your preferences. It won’t suggest similar content in the future.
- Report content that you don’t want to see. You can tap the three dots in the top right-hand corner while playing a video. You will have the option to “Report Snap,” so choose a reason why, and then “Submit.” Some content can be inappropriate, and this is an easy solution.
- Unsubscribe to channels. This is the simplest and easiest way to get rid of unneeded content. It will remove the type of videos you don’t want to see without blocking the publisher.
Think of this whole process as nudging the algorithm, While the Discover section itself cannot be deleted fully, you can on the other hand personalize the way content appears to you by choosing what you do and don’t want to see. But there are still other ways to influence the Discover section.
How to Get Rid of Ads in the Discover Section
Perhaps it’s not so much the content of other publishers that bothers you while scrolling Snapchat, but rather the pushy and invasive ads that come up now and then. While there isn’t a way to get rid of these ads fully, there is a way to personalize them so they are aligned with your needs. Who knows, you may even find some sweet deal for an item you’ve been looking for a long time.
To change your ad preferences on Snapchat, follow these steps:
- Access your Snapchat profile by clicking on your profile icon.
- Tap on the “Settings” option located in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down until you reach the “Privacy Control” section.
- Tap on the “Ads” option.
- Customize your ad settings by toggling on or off different preferences in the “Ads Preference” menu. To further refine the content of the ads you receive, go to the “Lifestyle & Interest” section.
Customize the ads you receive by selecting or deselecting different categories.
Now the ads that you look at will at least be relevant. But there are still other ways to solve your Discover section issue.
Using an Older Version of Snapchat
Keep in mind that using this method may make you miss out on new Snapchat features. The Discover section isn’t the only thing that changes. Instead of using the newer version, you can opt for using an older version of Snapchat.
- Find an older version of the Snapchat app. Please only use sources that are safe and trustworthy. APK files can be spam and malicious. Read any reviews before downloading and installing anything.
- Uninstall your current version of Snapchat.
- Install the older version that you downloaded before logging in.
Also, consider that Snapchat started featuring the Discover section back in 2015. So, unless you find a version older than that, chances are you are going to end up with the Discover section waiting for you upon opening the app again. This method is something that you can do as a last resort.
What is the Discover section on Snapchat for?
Overall, the Snapchat Discover section is a great resource for staying informed, discovering new content, and engaging with others. By using the Discover section to your benefit, you can enhance your Snapchat experience and make the most of the app.
Can I leave suggestions for Snapchat?
Yes, you can let Snapchat know if you have feedback. Simply navigate to the settings where you have the “I Have a Suggestion” option. You can then describe your feedback before tapping “Submit.”
Will Snapchat get rid of the Discover section?
As of right now, there is no indication that Snapchat would ever get rid of the Discover section. It’s been around for a pretty long time and allows users to discover new content, entertainment, and information.
Is the Discover section on Snapchat free?
Yes, the Discover section on Snapchat is free to use and you do not need a payment or subscription to use it.
Can I block or report an ad on Snapchat like publisher content?
Yes, you can block or report an ad on Snapchat if you find it to be inappropriate, misleading, or offensive. To do this, simply swipe up on the ad and tap the “Report” or “Block” button.
The Infamous Discover Section
It’s safe to say that the Discover section is here to stay. That’s good news for some, and bad news for others. But it’s pretty much integrated into Snapchat’s system. There’s no way to get rid of it. But you can still use it by signaling the algorithm to show you the relevant content and ads that you need. A good general rule would be to push the content and ads that you like while excluding what you don’t.
What do you think about the Discover section on Snapchat? Is the content annoying or do the ads bother you? Are there certain things that you find useful on it? Let us know in the comment section below.