How to Transfer Everything and Move to a New Email Account
Many scenarios might cause you to want to move to a new email. Maybe you have just graduated and no longer need your school email. Or you have decided to switch to a new email provider because you’re not happy with the current one.
Whatever the case, many people want the convenience of moving everything from their last email provider to the new email account they have just created. If taking your emails, attachments, and contacts to a new account is on your agenda, keep reading to discover how to go about the process.
How to Transfer Everything and Move to a New Email Account
The good news is that it’s possible to transfer everything from your old email account to a new one. But first, you’ll need to create your new email account and ensure it’s up and running. Once you’re done, you can transfer emails from an old account to a new one across various email clients.
Transfer All Emails From an Old Gmail Account to a New Email Account
If you want to move all emails from an old Gmail account to a new one, the process will require your new email service provider to offer support for the POP3 protocol. Fortunately, many email providers support this protocol, including:
- Zoho Workspace
- Yahoo mail
- AOL mail
If your new provider doesn’t offer support for POP3 protocol, then you’ll have to manually move the emails by forwarding them to your new email. Individually forwarding emails can be tiresome, so you might be compelled to hand-select just a few important emails.
To transfer all emails from an old Gmail account to a new email account, follow the steps below:
- Log into your old Gmail account.
- Click the “Settings” icon and select “See all settings.”
- Navigate to the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- Under “Forwarding,” click on “Add a forwarding address.”
- Type in your new email address.
- Follow the provided prompts to verify your new email address.
- Go back to your old Gmail account, refresh the page, and repeat steps 2 and 3 for the mail forwarding page. Under “Forwarding,” go to “Forward a copy of incoming mail to.”
- Choose your email forwarding preference and click “Save Changes.”
Transferring Everything From an Old Email Account to a New Gmail Account
The reverse is also possible, but this doesn’t require your new provider to offer support for the POP3 protocol. With that said, follow the step below to transfer everything from an old email account to a new Gmail account.
- Log into your new Gmail account.
- Click the settings icon in the top right corner of the screen. Click the “See all settings” button.
- Navigate to the “Accounts and Import” tab.
- Click the “Import mail and contacts” link.
- Specify the email account from which you want to import all the emails and contacts.
- Press the “Continue” button.
- A pop-up will appear, requiring you to authenticate the login to the old email account.
- Scroll down the pop-up and hit the “Allow” button.
- Select what you want to import to your new account (emails, contacts, and future emails for up to 30 days).
- Press the “Start import” button to initiate the process.
Please note that the above process might take a few minutes or hours, depending on the number of emails and contacts you have on your old email account. Once the email migration process is complete, you’ll receive a notification on your new email notifying you that your emails and contacts are now on the new account.
Moving Emails From an Old Gmail Account to a New Email Account Using CloudHQ Multi Email Forward
Another option for moving your Gmail emails to a new email account is CloudHQ Multi Email Forward. Here’s how to go about the process:
- Install the Multi Email Forward by CloudHQ extension on your browser and click the “Add to Chrome” button.
- In the pop-up, click the “Add extension” button and wait a few minutes for the process to complete.
- Log into your Gmail account and select the “All mail” option from the left sidebar.
- Select all the emails by checking the select box in the toolbar.
- Once all the emails are selected, a pop-up should appear asking if you want to “Select all the conversations in All Mail.” Click the link on the message to continue.
- Click the forward icon, then select “Migrate all emails” from the menu.
- Type in the destination email. Please note that you can only migrate emails to one email account at a time.
- Click the “Setup Gmail to Gmail Migration” option to continue.
- Follow the prompts to complete the authorization of the source and destination emails.
- Once you’ve done the above steps, you should receive an email notifying you that the migration has been initiated.
The migration should start immediately, but it might take a while, depending on the number of emails. The good news is that the process can run in the background without interrupting other activities you might be performing on your computer.
Transfer All Emails From Outlook to New Email Account
Outlook is another popular mail client with a large user base worldwide. Fortunately, the email client also allows you to transfer your emails to a new email account whenever you decide to move. To do so, follow the steps below:
- On your computer, launch Outlook and log into your old email account.
- Navigate to the “Inbox” section.
- Press the “Ctrl + A” shortcut to select all the emails.
- Right-click the window and select “Forward” from the options that appear.
- Type in your new email and specify the subject of the email.
- Hit the “Send” button.
The process may take some time, depending on the number of items transferred.
To verify the sent emails, go to the old email account’s “sent” section and check for updates. You can also log into your new email account and verify that the emails were received. To see each email, click on the individual attachments, and you should be able to view the contents of the email.
Using CloudHQ Synchronization Wizard
You can also use the CloudHQ synchronization wizard to migrate your email from an old Outlook account to your new email account. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Go to the CloudHQ synchronization page.
- Scroll down to the “Email” section and select the Outlook icon.
- Select your Outlook.com account. If you have not configured your account with the platform, select the “Authorize Outlook.com” option to add your old Outlook account instead. If you have chosen the latter, follow the prompts to complete the authorization process.
- Select the “One-way sync (backup) or migration of all Outlook.com.”
- Hit the “Next Step” button to continue.
- Select the email service to which you want to transfer your outlook emails and configure your new account.
- After email configuration, the migration should start immediately.
- You should receive an email from CloudHQ informing you that the email migration has been initiated.
Export Contacts From Outlook to Other Email Accounts
You can transfer emails from your Outlook account to another email account, but what about contacts? Follow the steps below to export contacts from Outlook to other email clients:
- Open Outlook and navigate to “File.”
- Go to “Open & Export” and select the “Import/Export” option.
- Choose “Export to a file” then “Next.”
- Select the “Comma Separated Values” option and click “Next” to continue.
- Choose “Contacts” and specify the folder where you want the file saved and then “next”.
- Name the file and click the “OK” button.
- Select “Finish” and wait for the download to complete.
Once you have a CSV file of your contacts on your computer, log into your new email account, navigate to the contacts section and import the file. After importing the contact file, you should have a copy of the contacts as they were in the old email account.
Move All Emails From a Yahoo Account to a New Email Address
If you’re a Yahoo user and want to move all your emails to a new account, follow the steps below:
- Go to your Yahoo account and click the settings icon.
- From the options, select “More Settings.”
- Go to “Mailbox” left side of the window.
- Select “Add” button, under Send-only email address.
- In the right pane, under Add send-only email address, enter a non-Yahoo! Mail address and select “Next”.
- Please verify your email address by clicking ” Verify to setup.”
- Select the verification link in the email from the Yahoo Mail.
- You need to log back into your Yahoo Mail.
- Then click “Verify.”
- After you verify “Return to account setting.”
- And click “Save.”
Export All Contacts From a Yahoo Account to a New Email Account
Transferring your contacts from a Yahoo account to a new email account is relatively easy. Follow the steps below to complete the process:
- Log into your Yahoo account and click the “Contacts” icon.
- Select all the contacts, navigate to “Actions,” then “Export to CSV file.”
- Once the CSV file is downloaded, log into your new email account and navigate to the “contacts” section.
- Go to the “Import” section and upload the file you downloaded from your Yahoo account.
Can I update all my online accounts with a new email address automatically?
Unfortunately, no tool allows you to update all of your online accounts with a new email address automatically. You’ll have to manually update the email address across all your online accounts.
Bring Your Emails With You Wherever You Go
Transferring everything from your old email account to a new one is relatively easy because many email clients allow you to forward emails to your new email account. However, if you want some form of synchronization, then CloudHQ would be a superior choice.
Have you tried moving all your emails from an old email account to a new one? How did you go about the process? Please let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.