How to Turn Off Audio Descriptions in HBO Max
Since its release, HBO Max has been plagued by a bug that has audio descriptions as a default setting for many movies and shows in its catalog. This can be highly irritating for those without vision problems as it creates more audio and detracts from the viewing experience.
Luckily, this can be fixed on any device that supports the HBO Max app. Here’s a guide on how to take off audio descriptions on HBO Max.
How to Turn Off Audio Description on a Firestick
A Firestick is a nifty Amazon device that lets you take your streaming apps wherever you go. You just plug it into a USB port on a TV or computer to have access to all your favorite streaming apps. It comes with a remote that you use just like a TV remote. You will need one to fix the audio description problem on HBO Max.
- In the app, start the video, then hit pause on your remote.
- Press the up arrow until the little square at the top right of the screen is highlighted.
- Click the middle of the circle button on your Firestick remote. The settings for subtitles and audio come up on the top of the screen.
- Go to the “Audio” menu then select “English,” not “English [Audio Description].”
- Your video shouldn’t have audio descriptions now.
How to Turn Off Audio Descriptions on a Roku
A Roku essentially makes any TV a smart TV. To turn audio descriptions on, grab your Roku remote and do the following:
- While the video is playing, press the “*” button.
- Select “Accessibility,” then choose “Captioning Track.”
- Change your settings so that just the language you want will play. Do not select anything with “audio descriptions” next to it.
- Your video should now be working properly.
How to Turn Off Audio Descriptions on a PC
Using HBO Max through a PC is one of the more convenient ways to stream. You can access both the website and app for HBO Max. To turn the audio descriptions on in your videos is the same for both platforms.
- Start playing something, then click the screen.
- In the lower-right corner, select “Audio and Subtitles.”
- In the Audio section, select “English – Audio Description”, then click the “X” to close the window.
- Re-open the “Audio and Subtitles” menu
- Choose the language you wish to use
How to Turn Off Audio Descriptions on a Mobile Device
The HBO Max mobile app is on all major mobile devices and there is no difference between iOS and Android phones.
- Open the app, then start playing a show or movie.
- Tap the screen to open the player controls.
- In the upper-right corner, tap the Audio and Subtitles button.
- In the Audio section, tap “English – Audio Description.”
- Tap “X” to close.
The audio description bug has been ongoing for quite some time. Fortunately, there are easy ways to fix it.
1. Restart the App
Sometimes there may be a glitch that causes the app to do things it’s not supposed to do. The fastest way to fix any problem with the HBO Max app is to restart it. Make sure it isn’t running in the background for the app to completely shut down.
2. Update the App
Some bugs are remedied with new updates. Check the Google Play Store or the Apple Store to update your version of the app. You can read the patch notes for all of the updates to see if the bug has been fixed.
3. Reinstall the App
If you’ve already restarted and updated the app, then it could be a problem that occurred during installation. Uninstall the app, download it again, then run the app. Reinstalling will also give you the latest version of the app, so if you haven’t updated the app, reinstalling will do that as well.
An Ongoing Problem
HBO Max features great content, but it doesn’t matter if you can’t enjoy it to the full. Some users are still having problems with audio descriptions, regardless of the methods outlined in this article. Hopefully, HBO will patch out the bug soon.
Have you ever had problems with audio descriptions in the HBO Max app? Which method did you use to resolve the issue? Let us know in the comments section below.