How to Turn On or Off 2FA on an iPhone
The two-factor authentication feature on phones can help improve your online security. On iPhones and other iOS devices, it can be used for your Apple ID, as well as for apps like Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook.
This guide will tell you how to turn on and off two-factor authentication on an iPhone. You’ll also learn how to disable this feature on apps like Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook.
How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication on iPhone X, 11, 12
Two-factor authentication allows you to access your account on a trusted device. When you sign into a new device, you will be required to enter a six-digit verification code, which will be sent to your phone number. The same thing happens when you try to access your Apple account on a web browser.
Follow these steps to turn on two-factor authentication on an iPhone 10, iPhone 11, and iPhone 12:
- Open “Settings.”
- Select your Apple ID at the top of the page.
- Go to “Password & Security.”
- Tap on the “Turn on Two-Factor Authentication” option.
- Choose “Continue.”
- Type in your phone number.
- Select a security method (text message or automated phone call).
With this code, you’ll need to verify your phone number. Then two-factor authentication feature will then be activated. Keep in mind that once you activate the two-factor authentication feature, you only have two weeks to turn it off. If more than two weeks pass, you won’t be able to disable this feature anymore. Here’s how it’s done:
- Visit the Apple ID page on your browser.
- Sign in using your Apple ID.
- Provide the Apple ID verification code.
- Go to the “Security” section and find “Two-Factor Authentication.”
- Select the “Edit” button.
- Proceed to “Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.”
- Tap on “Continue.”
If more than two weeks pass, you will only be able to edit your trusted phone number.
How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication on iPhone 6, 7, 8
If you have an iPhone 6, iPhone 7, or iPhone 8, here’s how you can turn on two-factor authentication:
To enable this feature, you will need to enter a trusted phone number. You even have the option to add another verified and trusted phone number, which can be very useful if your phone breaks or suddenly stops working. You can also request a verification code directly from your settings. You can use this to sign in to your Apple ID account on other devices.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Continue to your Apple ID.
- Find “Password & Security” on the menu.
- Choose “Two-Factor Authentication.”
- Tap on the “Continue” button.
- Type in your trusted phone number.
- Select if you want to receive the verification code via text message or automated phone call.
- Tap on “Send.”
- Verify your phone number.
Turning the two-factor authentication feature off on these models is just like with the newer iPhone models. You will need to use your browser. Follow the steps below to see how it works:
- Open the browser of your choice.
- Visit the Apple ID page.
- Log in to your Apple ID account.
- Provide the Apple ID verification code.
- Proceed to the “Security” section.
- Locate “Two-Factor Authentication.”
- Tap on “Edit.”
- Turn off the two-factor authentication.
- Select “Continue.”
Remember, you can only turn off two-factor authentication for your Apple ID two weeks after you’ve enabled it. If you wait for more than two weeks, you won’t be able to disable this feature.
Can I Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication if I Don’t Remember My Code?
Once two-factor authentication is enabled, you will need to provide the verification code every time you want to sign into your account with your Apple ID. Since you can’t turn off this feature directly from your settings and only by signing in to your Apple ID account on a web browser, you will need your Apple ID verification code.
The good news is, it’s no issue if you forget your code. You can check it in your settings. Here’s how:
- Open “Settings” and head over to your Apple ID.
- Tap on “Password & Security.”
- Go to “Get Verification Code.”
Your Apple ID verification code will be there, and you can use it to sign in to your Apple ID account and turn off this feature. Keep in mind that every time you tap on the “Get Verification Code” option, you’ll be provided with a new code.
How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication in SnapChat on an iPhone
If you activate two-factor authentication on Snapchat, you will receive a login code via text message or the Authentication app. This login code basically works as a second password. To turn this feature off, this is what you need to do:
- Launch Snapchat on your iPhone.
- Select your profile picture in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Navigate to the “Settings” icon in the upper-right corner of your profile page.
- Locate “Two-Factor Authentication” on the list of options.
- Switch off the security method you chose – “SMS Verification” or “Authentication App.”
- Tap “Okay” on the confirmation message.
Now you’ve successfully disabled two-factor authentication on Snapchat.
How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication in Instagram on an iPhone
On Instagram, the two-factor authentication feature sends a text message to your phone when you want to log in to your account. Alternatively, you can choose to receive your verification code via the Authentication App or WhatsApp. Of course, Instagram gives you the option to disable this feature. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the app on your iPhone.
- Go to your profile and select the menu icon in the upper-right corner.
- Tap on “Settings” from the menu.
- Proceed to the “Security” option.
- Select “Two-Factor Authentication.”
- Under “Text Message Control,” toggle the blue switch.
Doing this will automatically turn off the two-factor authentication feature. In other words, you will be able to access your Instagram account without having to enter the verification code every time.
How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication in the Facebook App on an iPhone
Facebook is another app that allows you to use two-factor authentication when you sign in to your account. When you enable this feature, you can choose between three security methods: an authentication app (like Google Authenticator), a text message, or a security key. If you’re wondering how to disable this feature, follow the steps below:
- Run the Facebook app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the menu icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Go to the “Settings & Privacy” tab, and proceed to “Settings.”
- Select “Password and Security.”
- Under “Two-factor authentication,” go to the “Use two-factor authentication” tab.
- Tap on the “Turn off” button.
That’s all there is to it. If you change your mind, you have the option to return to the “Two-factor authentication” tab to re-enable this feature.
Manage Your iPhone Security Options
The two-factor authentication feature is a useful security tool that allows you to keep your accounts safe. However, it can be disabled if you don’t need or want it anymore. While apps like Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook allow you to turn this feature off whenever you want, you only have two weeks to do this for your Apple ID account.
Have you ever disabled two-factor authentication on your iPhone before? Did you turn it off for your Apple ID account or an app? Let us know in the comments section below.