How to Add a Tip in the Uber or Uber Eats App
The Uber app makes it easy for you to tip your driver during and after the ride. While you can, of course, tip the driver directly by giving them cash, you can also do so through the app. But did you know you have the option to edit the tip amount to amend your initial tip.? And the good news is that your entire tip will go directly to the driver, as Uber doesn’t take a percentage of the tip.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to tip your Uber driver with the Uber app. We’ll also answer some frequently asked questions regarding Uber’s tipping policy.
How to Add a Tip in Uber on the iPhone
The easiest way to tip an Uber driver is with the mobile app. In-app tips are transferred to the Uber driver’s account immediately.
Every time you use Uber’s services, you’ll be prompted to rate your driver. You can tip an Uber driver during and after each trip after you’ve rated them. Keep in mind that tipping is entirely optional and that it isn’t included in the fare.
While you can simply give your Uber driver cash at the end of the trip, it can be more convenient and practical to do so through the Uber app. Here’s how it’s done on an iPhone:
- Launch the app on your iPhone.
- Use the white screen to view the trip details.
- Proceed to the “Rate or tip” option.
- Rate your driver. You can give them between one and five stars.
Note: If you give your Uber driver five stars, the app will directly take you to the tipping tab. If you rate your driver with less than five stars, the app will ask you if you want to tip the driver.
- The app will let you choose between $1, $3, and $5 for the tip.
- If you want to give a bigger tip, then tap on the “Enter Custom Amount” option at the bottom of your screen.
- If you’ve chosen a custom amount, select the “Set Tip” button.
- Select the “Done” option.
This method applies to tips made during the ride. If you want to tip an Uber driver after a trip, then you have 30 days to do so. You can also use the Uber app to make subsequent tips. Aside from the app, it’s possible to tip drivers on riders.uber.com and with the trip receipt you received via email.
How to Add a Tip in Uber on an Android
If you’re an Android user, this is how you can use the Uber app to tip your driver:
- Open the Uber app on your Android.
- Proceed to the trip details.
- Under the “How’s your ride going?” field, go to “Rate or tip.”
- Rate your Uber driver with one to five stars.
- Continue to the tipping tab.
- Either choose a preset tipping amount or enter a custom amount for your tip.
- Tap on the “Done” button.
If you are traveling with friends and you’re using the Split Fare feature, only the fare will be divided. The tip amount is decided by the person who ordered the ride. The same person is also responsible for the tip, as it isn’t split among the other riders.
You won’t be able to tip your Uber driver unless you’ve rated them first. However, if you choose to tip the driver through the trip receipt, then you don’t need to rate them first.
If you’re wondering how much you should tip, it’s common courtesy for your tip to be between 10% to 15% of the trip’s fare. For exceptionally good trips, you can give a 15% to 20% tip. Of course, it’s entirely up to you.
How to Add a Tip for Uber Eats Service
You can also tip an Uber Eats delivery person. You can use three tipping methods to do this – before you place an order after it has been delivered and with your order history.
To tip your Uber Eats delivery person before you place an order, follow the steps below:
- Open the Uber Eats app on your smartphone.
- Choose the restaurant you want to order food from.
- Select “Checkout” when you’re done.
- Tap on the “Place Order” button.
- Continue to the “Rate” section.
- Choose “Add a Tip.”
- Either pick a preset tip amount or enter a custom tip amount.
- Select “Submit and Continue.”
If you want to change how much you’ll tip, you have one hour after the delivery to do this.
If you want to tip the Uber Eats service after the delivery, you can do this after you’ve rated the service. Furthermore, you have seven days after the delivery date to tip your Uber Eats delivery person.
You can also tip the Uber Eats service after the delivery through your order history. This is how it’s done:
- Open the Uber Eats app on your phone.
- Select the “Orders” tab at the bottom of your screen.
- Find the order that you want to tip.
- Go to the “Add a Tip” option.
- Enter the tip amount.
- Save the changes.
Can I edit a tip in Uber later?
It’s possible to edit a tip you’ve made in the past. However, you can only add to the amount you initially gave. You can’t reduce it. There’s a time window for this feature, which ranges from 30 to 90 days. The time limit mainly depends on your region.
To edit a tip, you’ve given to an Uber driver, follow the steps below:
1. Open the Uber app on your phone.
2. Proceed to the menu icon in the upper-left corner of your screen.
3. Choose “Your Trips” from the menu.
4. Find the ride for which you want to edit the tip.
5. Select the “Add to your tip” option.
6. Type in the additional tip.
7. Tap on the “Set tip” button at the bottom of the screen.
As mentioned, you can only increase the tip. If you can’t find the ride that you want to additionally tip, then the tip feature must have expired.
You can also edit a tip during an Uber ride. If you do so before the trip ends, then you can enter a smaller tip amount. This is how it’s done:
1. Launch the app on your phone.
2. Go to the trip details page.
3. Proceed to the “Rating” tab.
4. Select “Edit.”
5. Either choose a preset tip amount or enter a custom tip.
6. Save the changes.
Not only can you edit the tip amount during an Uber ride, but the rating as well.
Do Uber drivers know if you tip?
When you tip your Uber driver, they’ll be able to view the tip on their trip details page. The tips are associated with the ride, so your name and your photo won’t be revealed on the Uber driver’s app. This is done to protect each customer’s privacy. However, each time an Uber driver receives a tip, they’ll get a notification that specifies the tip amount.
Does Uber automatically add a tip?
No. Instead, Uber will give you the option to tip every time you use their services. If you use the Uber app to make a tip, first you need to rate the driver.
If you give your Uber driver five stars, then you’ll automatically be prompted to tip them. However, you’ll still need to specify the tip amount. On the other hand, if you give your Uber driver less than five stars, then the app will give you the option to proceed with the tip.
Why can’t I tip my Uber driver?
If you want to tip your Uber driver, but can’t find the tip feature on the Uber app, it might be disabled. Even though this feature is automatically enabled, it’s possible that the Uber driver you want to tip turned this feature off. In other words, if you want to tip them, you’ll have to do it using other methods. The in-app tipping feature might not be available in your region.
Thank Your Uber Driver for the Pleasant Driving Experience
Whether you choose to tip your Uber driver during or after the trip, it’s a great way to thank them for the satisfactory service. The quickest and easiest way to tip an Uber driver is with the Uber app. You can also do this using the Uber website or your emailed receipts. If none of these options work for you, you could always tip them with cash.
Have you ever tipped your Uber driver before? Did you use any of the methods covered in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.