How to Unfollow Someone on Instagram
While Instagram is an excellent tool for fostering close online relationships, the platform lacks user-friendliness regarding unfollowing accounts. The app is built for manually removing accounts from your “following” list, leading to confusion when attempting to unfollow inactive or spam profiles.
This guide will break down how to manually unfollow someone on Instagram using different devices. Also, we’ll go over how you can identify and unfollow bot accounts and profiles with which you don’t interact frequently.
If you’re an iPhone user, you can use the mobile app to unfollow someone and identify profiles that dampen your engagement.
To unfollow someone through the mobile app:
- Click your account icon at the bottom of the interface to enter your profile.
- Select “Following” at the top of the page to view which users you’re following.
- Go through the list until you spot the user you wish to unfollow.
- Select the “Following” button next to their username.
- If you’re attempting to unfollow a private account, a pop-up prompt will ask you to confirm your decision. Press “Confirm” to unfollow the account and if not if you tap “Following” it will change automatically to “Follow”.
Note that Instagram allows you to unfollow up to 150 accounts manually per day. Exceeding this limit could result in Instagram shadowbanning your profile.
Instagram’s Android app also allows you to unfollow people and gauge which profiles you’re interacting with the least.
To unfollow a profile with the app:
- Press your account icon at the bottom of the app to open your Instagram page.
- Click “Following” to view a list of all the users you follow.
- Go down the list until you’ve found the profile you want to unfollow.
- Tap the “Following” button beside their username and it will change to “Follow”
Instagram has set an unfollow limit of about 150 accounts per day. Going over this number could end up with the app banning your account.
While Instagram is primarily used as a mobile app, you can access the platform’s website through your PC. The web version allows users to unfollow profiles to stop seeing their account updates.
To unfollow someone on your PC:
- Go to the Instagram web page and log in using your account details.
- Open your profile page and click the “Following” button.
- The browser will display all the accounts you are following.
- Scroll through the list until you find an account you want to unfollow. Click “Following” next to their profile name.
The website enables you to unfollow users from their Instagram profile: To do so:
- Log in to Instagram’s web version through your browser.
- Navigate to the search bar at the top of the screen and enter the username of the person you want to stop following.
- Tap on their profile when it shows up in the search results.
- Select the “Following” option on their profile. It’s located beside the “Message” icon.
- A pop-up window will prompt you to confirm your action.
- Hit “Unfollow.”
The “Following” button will disappear from this person’s profile. Instead, you should see a grey “Follow” icon.
Mac users can also access the Instagram web page and unfollow specific profiles.
To unfollow someone on Instagram on your Mac:
- Open the Instagram web page and enter your log-in information.
- Enter your account page and press “Following” at the top of the screen.
- The page will display all the accounts you are following.
- Scan the list until you get to a profile you’re no longer interested in. Click the “Following” button next to the profile’s username.
Additionally, you can remove someone from your “following” list by entering their account page. To do so:
- Use your web browser to open Instagram’s site.
- Log in with your account details.
- Go to the search bar at the top of the browser and type the username of the person you want to unfollow.
- Select their profile when it shows up in the results.
- Click “Following” on their account page. It’s next to the “Message” icon in the upper part of the screen.
- Instagram will ask you if you are sure to unfollow the person.
Having a carefully curated “following” list on Instagram helps you stay in contact with people who matter to you and boosts your Instagram engagement. Instagram offers no built-in feature to alert you which profiles you don’t interact with or have stopped following you. However, there are several methods you can use to keep your “following” list in order.
Hopefully, this guide has cleared up lingering confusion about unfollowing someone on Instagram and the ways you can slim down your “following” list.
Have you ever inspected which accounts you follow on Instagram? Did you use one of the methods we’ve mentioned to lower your “following” number? Let us know in the comments.