How to Unlock Jaeger in Escape From Tarkov
Escape from Tarkov became a wildly popular MMO FPS due to a lucky Twitch drop late last year. With the newfound status, players are flocking to play the game for the first time.
Understandably, newbies don’t have access to all the features that game veterans have grinded through and unlocked. For example, some NPCs in the game are locked behind questlines players need to complete. Jaeger is a popular arms and loot dealer that isn’t available to new players until they complete the required quest.
Here’s what you need to do to unlock Jaeger to start trading with him and complete his quests.
How to Unlock Jaeger in Escape From Tarkov?
Before you embark on a quest to unlock Jaeger, there are two prerequisites before it becomes available to a new player. These are:
- Get to level 10.
- Complete the “Gunsmith Part 1” quest for the Mechanic.
To complete the Gunsmith 1 quest, you’ll need to follow the task specifications:
- Obtain three Elite Pliers. You can either purchase them directly from the flea market or find them in industrial locations. Elite Pliers are often on tool shelves in the game.
- Trade in the pliers for an MP-133 shotgun in the Mechanic’s buy menu.
- Mod the shotgun to meet the specifications of the task.
- Mark the task as complete.
Once you’ve completed the prerequisite tasks, the Mechanic will offer a new task called “Introduction.” This is the task you need to finish to unlock Jaeger. The instructions are fairly simple:
- Accept the task.
- Find Jaeger’s camp on the map.
- Locate the hidden message.
- Extract from the raid successfully.
- Complete the task in the Mechanic’s task menu.
Jaeger’s camp can be found in the Woods map, so you’ll need to queue into a Woods raid to complete this task.
Here’s the easiest way to find the camp:
- Go near the center towards the Lumber Mill. It’s a big worked area next to the lake.
- Look at the “Sniper Rock” in the distance. It’s a monolithic peak that you can spot from just about any point on the map.
- Go to the eastern side of the Lumber Mill (the one closer to the Sniper Rock). You should be able to see a smaller stone array below the Sniper Rock usually referred to as the “Spine.”
- Starting from the Lumber Mill, go around the Spine, keeping the Spine to your left until you see a crashed airplane.
- Go to the airplane’s cockpit and turn to the south.
- You should be able to spot a small hunter’s lodge. This is Jaeger’s camp.
- You can find the hidden note at the base of the camp. It’s just a piece of paper you need to pick up.
Once you’ve picked up the message, you need to extract it from the raid successfully. The extraction location for the Woods will always be one of the two southern bases – the opposite one from where you started.
If you fail to extract from the raid, you’ll need to go back in and find the message again. It might sound easy at first, but the in-game locations near the camp can get quite crowded and have some AI spawns around them to boot, so success is certainly not guaranteed. Don’t be discouraged if you fail to extract the first time you pick up the note.
Once you unlock Jaeger, you’ll get access to his tasks and have a wider array of items to buy at more affordable prices compared to other AI dealers. As with any other AI dealer, you’ll need to get more reputation to access better gear.
What Items Does Jaeger Buy?
The easiest way to level Jaeger up and access his higher-tier loot to purchase is to rank up your reputation with him by selling him valuable items.
In terms of selling power, Jaeger will buy almost anything the Therapist usually buys. However, he also trades in weapons, particularly shotguns, sniper rifles, and melee weapons. Therapist and Jaeger offer similar prices, but Therapist is a better bartering partner. However, the Mechanic will give you more for the weapon attachments if the weapon you’re selling has any, so keep in mind to check prices with him accordingly.
If you’re looking to get the most out of Jaeger and level him fast, sell him food, medicine, shotguns, and melee weapons. Alternatively, you can buy whatever he’s offering and sell it back to him at a loss if you just want to level your reputation up.
When you’re strapped for time and want to dispose of a lot of items quickly, Jaeger is one of the top choices to sell provisions and weapons in bulk.
What Level Does Jaeger Unlock in Escape From Tarkov?
You have to get to level 10 in your character progression before you’re able to take up tasks from the Mechanic that unlocks Jaeger. After unlocking level 10, tasks become available, including the first two tasks you need to complete, “Gunsmith Part 1” and “Introduction’’.
Is Escape From Tarkov Multiplayer?
Escape from Tarkov is a fully multiplayer game with a minor PvE component. When you queue up into a raid, you’ll enter with other players and have to compete against each other. AI-controlled units will spawn on the map to increase the game’s difficulty a bit.
Completing the tasks in the middle of the match can be difficult, to say the least, especially when you’re surrounded by enemies. Always consider finishing the raid alive before trying to complete a task if it’s too out of the way.
The game currently doesn’t have VOIP, as it’s still in beta (after first coming into beta in 2017). Developers are steadily releasing new content and updates which bring out more features. VOIP is a hotly debated topic and should come with an update this year.
Introduce Yourself to Jaeger
Once you get to level 10, the real fun in Escape from Tarkov begins. With new tasks, you can unlock the final AI dealers and corner the game’s marketplace by selling smart. Finishing the Jaeger introduction task shouldn’t be too difficult for a newer player, but we wish you luck nevertheless.
Did you unlock Jaeger? How long did it take? Let us know in the comments section below.