How To Update Apps on the Apple TV
Given the popularity of Apple products, it’s no surprise they’d enter the TV market. For many users, Apple products are a perfect fusion of functionality and sleek design. This same philosophy is also incorporated in the Apple TV and its GUI layout.
Apple TV’s user menu has always been very user-friendly and straightforward. However, some people still have trouble with certain features, and that’s where we jump in. Among other interesting Apple TV tricks, this article will show you how to easily update apps on this device.
Understanding Apple TV Features
It doesn’t matter whether you have upgraded to an Apple TV 4K, the 4th gen model, or if you own an older version, the following tutorials will show you everything you need to know about some of the most useful Apple TV features.
Updating Apps on Apple TV
You can update all of the apps that you have installed on your Apple TV in just a couple of steps.
- Select the Settings option from your TV’s menu
- Scroll down to the Apps option and select it.
- After you have selected the Apps option, look for the Automatically Update Apps feature and make sure that it’s turned On.
Once you have toggled on the Automatically Update Apps feature, all of your installed apps will update to their newest versions. This includes the ones that were already installed when you got the device.
Keep in mind that by doing this, every app stored on your device will automatically update as soon as an update becomes available.
This means that you won’t have to worry about doing this manually, but it also means that you won’t have full control over your Apple TV’s storage space. Taking this into consideration, you should always check how much memory your device has left. If your Apple TV doesn’t have much space, its software can become very buggy.
Downloading Apps on Apple TV
While this device comes with useful pre-installed apps, there are also many interesting new apps you can get from the App Store. To download them, all that you need to do is follow these steps.
- Select the App Store on your Apple TV.
- Search for the app that you would like to download and install on your device.
- After selecting the app that you want, click on Get (for free apps) or on Buy (for paid ones).
- A window might pop up asking you for your Apple ID credentials and payment details.
After you have completed these steps, the app will be installed on your device. To use the app, simply find it on your Home Screen.
Note that you can also update certain apps by deleting them from your device and then downloading them again, as that will automatically install the app with its latest update.
Deleting Apps on Apple TV
If you want to remove an app from your Apple TV device and free up some space, you can do that by following these simple steps:
- Search for the app that you want to delete from your Apple TV device.
- Click and hold on the app’s icon.
- Hold it until the icon wiggles.
- Press the Play/Pause button.
- Select the Delete option from the menu.
- Confirm your selection by swiping up and selecting Delete again.
After that, the app will be deleted from your device. Make sure to check if you have done this correctly by searching for the app again.
Switching Apps on Apple TV
Much like iOS smartphones, Apple TVs also have a feature that allows the user to switch between the apps they used recently.
You can access the app switcher by double-clicking on the Home button on your remote control. The button usually has a TV icon on it.
Once you have done that, the app switcher will be displayed and you can choose between recently used apps by swiping left and right.
Playing Music While Using Other Apps
Apple TVs have a feature that enables you to play music in the background while using other apps. However, you can only do this if the app that you are using doesn’t play any audio that will counter your music.
For example, your music will continue playing while you are searching for new movies on Netflix or if you are watching a slideshow in your Photos. The feature won’t work with games that come with their own soundtracks
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I update the Apple TV?
1. To start, go to Settings > System.
2. Now, go to Software Updates.
3. From here, select Update Software.
4. You can also select Automatic Updates if you want.
Enjoy Your Apple TV
To fully experience your Apple TV, you have to be familiar with all of its features. Hopefully, this article has helped you with some of the most important ones. Make sure to explore and test out as many different features as you can – this is the best way to get all you can out of this device.