Can Venmo Send Money to PayPal?
Venmo is very similar to PayPal, it’s like its modern cousin. The two services actually do co-exist nicely, although they still don’t have a direct connection. To answer the question in the title, Venmo can’t send to PayPal directly, but there is a workaround.
You can link a single bank account to both services, so when you receive money from Venmo, you can use it with PayPal. This might sound confusing, but, in reality, it’s fairly simple. Take one bank account and use it for Venmo and PayPal.
Read on for more details and a brief instruction for this easy task.
What You Need
We’re going to assume that you know Venmo works. There is an online app, both for Android and iOS devices which you can download by clicking via the links provided. Venmo is linked to a bank account, in this case, the same one you use for PayPal.
Other than that, you need funds in the same bank account. You can do this by transferring the money from Venmo to your bank account using the Venmo app. We’ll explain that too in the following section. Normally, it takes up to three business days for the money to be transferred, but if you can’t wait, you can pay the 1% fee and the money will be instantly transferred.
You also need the PayPal app for Android or iOS, since the Venmo transfers won’t work on the desktop version of PayPal. This might change in the future though, take a look at the official PayPal support site for details.
Quick Instructions for Venmo
Here’s how money transfers on Venmo work:
When Receiving Money
If you want to receive money through Venmo, you need to provide a bank account:
- Launch the Venmo app.
- Tap on the three-line menu at the top.
- Tap on Payment Methods.
- Choose to Add a Bank or Card, followed by Bank.
- Type in your bank account information. Don’t worry, Venmo is very safe.
You don’t need to confirm your bank account, but you should. After that, you can send money from Venmo to your bank.
When Sending Money
Follow the instructions to send money from Venmo to your bank account:
- Start Venmo on your device.
- Tap on the three lines near the top.
- Tap on Manage Balance, Transfer Money or Transfer to Bank. These are all options for different devices.
- Select the amount of money you want to send, and the method of sending (normal or instant).
- Confirm that you want to transfer the money. Make sure to double-check the bank account info.
Now that you’ve sent money from Venmo to your bank account, you can use this money for PayPal.
Sending Money from Venmo to PayPal
All that is left to do after you’ve sent the money from Venmo to the same bank account you use for PayPal is to transfer the funds. Follow the instructions:
- You might have to wait up to three days if you chose the regular transfer method with Venmo. After the money arrives, start the PayPal app on your phone.
- You might need to set up a PayPal Cash or Cash Plus account if don’t already have one. Consult the official support page of PayPal if you need help with this.
- In the PayPal app, select Add or Transfer Money, right below the balance.
- Choose the amount of money you’ve transferred over using Venmo.
That’s it, the money will be on your PayPal account in no time. This is how you transfer money from Venmo to PayPal. Don’t worry, there are no additional fees or taxes, so you’ll get the exact same amount. It can take several days, but it’s worth it.
You can speed up the process by paying up the instant Venmo fee, but that’s up to you. If you’re sending a lot of money, consider waiting a while instead of paying too much.
Not Ideal but It Works!
Sending money from Venmo to PayPal isn’t exactly the quickest, but it works. All you need is a common bank account for the two money transfer services. Hopefully, Venmo and PayPal will allow for direct transfers in the future, which would make things much easier for everyone.
Until then, this method is at your disposal, and you should get used to it pretty quickly. It’s not a big deal, but it can be a drag to wait up to three business days for your money. Use the comments section below to share your experiences.