How to View the Clipboard History on an Android Phone
Clipboards enable you to quickly access items you’ve copied and pasted into your texts, notes, and emails. While some Android phones allow you to access the clipboard history, others display only the last copied item.
Fortunately, there are several ways to view the clipboard history, even on Android phones that don’t have this function built-in.
How to View the Clipboard History on an Android Phone
Viewing the clipboard history depends on which Android phone you’re using. Although they share the same or similar operating systems, Android phones differ in many features, one of which is the keyboard.
Most Android phones have built-in clipboards. However, only some enable you to view its history.
Here’s how you can view the clipboard history on these devices:
- Go to Messages, Notes, Email, or wherever you want to paste a message from the clipboard.
- Tap and hold the screen to access several options.
- Select “Clipboard.”
- Scroll down to view the entire history.
Unfortunately, the majority of Android phones don’t have this feature. Instead, they only allow you to paste the most recent item you’ve copied. Still, there are ways to view and manage the clipboard history, but it requires installing third-party apps.
Although all Android phones come with built-in keyboards, many users opt for installing a third-party keyboard app. This is because keyboard apps often offer more interesting features, including clipboard managers.
One of the most popular keyboard apps is Gboard. This is Google’s official keyboard, and it’s reliable and easy to use. Its popularity is proven by the more than one billion downloads on the Play Store. Many newer Android phones come with Gboard pre-installed.
Here’s how to use Gboard to set up and view the clipboard history on your Android phone:
- Ensure you have Gboard installed and set as your default keyboard. If you don’t have it installed, download it from the Play Store.
- While typing in Gboard, press the clipboard icon above the letters.
- Tap “Turn on Clipboard.”
- Copy the items you want to save in the clipboard.
- Press the clipboard icon again, and you’ll see the copied items under “Recent.”
Gboard enables you to save all copied items forever by pinning them. Tap and hold the clip, and it will be saved under “Pinned.”
Keep in mind that this feature won’t work if you have the clipboard manager disabled. If it’s turned off, Gboard won’t save any of the items you’ve copied, and there will be no way to retrieve them.
SwiftKey is another excellent keyboard app that features clipboard options. Here’s how to access the clipboard and view the history:
- Start by using the app. If you don’t have it installed, download it from the Play Store.
- Copy the items you want to save to your clipboard.
- Press the clipboard icon (the third icon from the left).
- The copied items will appear, with the most recent one at the top.
This app also enables you to pin certain items and prevent them from expiring. Simply press the pin on the right of the items you want to save.
Many other keyboard apps feature clipboard managers. Although they differ in features, most of them have good clipboard options that will give you more control over the items you’ve copied.
Standalone clipboard apps are another efficient way of viewing your clipboard history. If you often copy and paste different content and are looking for a solution to organize it, clipboard apps are an excellent option.
Some clipboard apps offer more features than popular keyboard apps such as Gboard. They allow you to organize copied items into categories, turn them into QR codes, translate them into different languages, etc.
Clipper Clipboard Manager is one of the most popular clipboard apps on the Play Store. It offers plenty of useful features that make clipboard managing much easier to control.
Here’s how to view the clipboard history in Clipper:
- Ensure you have the Clipper Clipboard Manager installed on your phone. If you don’t, download it from the Play Store.
- Tap “Clipboard.”
- You’ll see the copied items and when you copied them. The most recent item will be at the top of the list.
Clipper is excellent because it not only automatically saves everything you copy but also enables you to add your clippings manually. You can do this by pressing the plus sign at the bottom-right and typing the clipping.
Moreover, you can quickly access Clipper through your status bar and save time if you need to view your clipboard history. Clipper also enables you to pin items you often use and sort them into different categories.
Here’s how to view the clipboard history using Clipboard Manager:
- Ensure you have the app installed on your Android Phone. If you don’t have it, download it from the Play Store.
- Open the app.
- You’ll find the copied items under the “Clipboard” section, with the most recent ones at the top.
Clipboard Manager syncs with your Android phone as soon as you install it. Whenever you copy a text on your phone, it will be automatically shown in the app. The app also enables you to manage the clipboard manually, i.e., add text within the app.
Moreover, you can add favorite clipboards, make countless clipboard categories, use the search option for easier navigation, merge notes, etc.
You can easily access Clipboard Manager directly from your status bar. From there, you can use the “Smart actions” feature that makes this app stand out from the rest. This option enables you to add new notes, run a Google or Wikipedia search, or translate different clipboard content.
Standalone clipboard apps are excellent if you often use copy & paste features but don’t want to change your default keyboard.
While clipboards make copying and pasting easier, many people tend to make mistakes that could compromise their privacy. Here are a few tips to help you use clipboard functions safely:
- Don’t keep sensitive information in clipboards. Passwords, SSNs, PINs, or credit card details shouldn’t be in your clipboards because they could end up in the wrong hands. This especially goes for third-party apps.
- Read the reviews before downloading a third-party app. Use only reputable apps with positive reviews by past and current users.
- Be careful when giving app permissions. Some apps could access your clipboards without you knowing.
- If you’re using an app you can access directly from the status bar, be careful about what information it’s displaying.
Retrieve History With Clipboards
Clipboards are simple and useful tools that help you copy and paste items without having to type them repeatedly. Once you get used to them, you’ll wonder why you hadn’t installed one sooner.
We hope this article helped you learn how to view the clipboard history on Android phones. Moreover, we hope our recommendations for keyboard and clipboard apps were helpful, and you’ve found the one that matches your needs.