How to Change your Display Name in Webex
Webex allows you to customize your profile according to your liking. You can update all personal information at any time, including your email address, profile picture, and, of course, display name. So, for example, if most of your coworkers call you by your nickname, you can go by that instead.
In this tutorial, we’ll provide step-by-step instructions on how to change your display name in Webex. Since the cloud-based platform is also available as a desktop and mobile app, we included walk-throughs for different devices.
The collaborative tool is available in three editions: a web-based app, a desktop app, and a mobile version for both iOS and Android devices. Since the UI contains the same features, you can manage your profile with multiple devices. Below, you’ll find detailed instructions on how to change your display name and where you can get the official versions of the Webex app.
How to Change your Display Name in Webex on the Windows or Mac App
There are two versions of the Webex desktop app available: a 32-bit and a 64-bit version. Depending on your operating system, you can download the corresponding version from the official website. Alternatively, Mac users can get it from the App Store, while Windows users can download the official Webex app from the Microsoft App Source. The Cisco Webex plan is entirely free, while Webex Meeting requires a paid subscription.
Once you’ve set up the Webex desktop app, you can use it to update your display name and any other profile information. And since the app is connected to your Webex license, it will automatically open when you click on a meeting URL.
So, if you want to change your display name with the desktop app, here’s what you should do:
- Launch the Webex desktop app.
- Next to your current name, click on the tiny drop-down arrow to access an options panel. Choose “My Profile” from the list.
- Next, click on the “Edit My Profile” button. A new window will appear. Type a different display name into the corresponding field. You can also update your first and last name if your organization allows it.
- If you don’t have a profile picture yet, you can add it from the same Webex page. Then, click on the “Change Profile Picture” option and upload a new picture from your computer.
- Once you’re done with the changes, click “Save” to update the profile info.
How to Change your Display Name in Webex on the Web
Webex is primarily a cloud-based platform for video conferencing and other collaborative business practices. The web app is incredibly streamlined and allows you to change your profile info following your company’s corporate directory. For example, if the organization forbids you to update your first and last name personally, you can instead change the display name. The display name will appear during meetings and other interactions within the Webex platform.
So, if you want to use a different display name, here’s what you should do:
- First, open your browser and go to webex.com. Then log in to your account.
- Navigate to your profile pic or avatar icon in the top-right corner and click on the downward arrow next to your name.
- A drop-down list will appear. Choose “My Profile.”
- A new window will appear. Next, click on the blue “Edit My Profile” button.
- Enter a preferred display name into the appropriate field.
- Click “Save” once you’re done editing.
How to Change your Display Name in Webex on the iPhone
As mentioned, there’s a Webex mobile app available for iOS devices. You can get the official version at the App Store:
- Launch the App Store App from your home screen.
- Use the built-in search function to find the Webex app.
- Tap on the “Get” button under the app info. Enter your Apple ID if necessary.
After you’ve installed the app, you can use it to manage your profile. The interface is somewhat different from the web-based version, but it’s still very user-friendly. Here’s how to change your display name with your iPhone or iPad:
- Tap on the Webex icon on your home screen to launch the app. Next, sign in to your account.
- In the upper-left corner of the screen, tap on the tiny gear icon to open “Settings.”
- Open the “My Account” tab.
- A new window will open. Tap on your current display name.
- The mobile app doesn’t have a separate section for display names, but you can change it by editing your first and last name. The new entry will then show up during future meetings.
- Once you’re done, tap “Save” in the upper-right corner of the screen.
The Name Game
Updating your Webex profile info is a breeze, thanks to the streamlined user interface. And even if some edits are off-limits, you get to choose what name will appear during meetings, which is nice. The best part is, your display name can be anything you choose, from nicknames to initials.
Since there’s a mobile and desktop app available, you can manage your Webex profile with multiple devices. However, keep in mind you need to make all the changes before the meeting starts. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck with a misspelled name.
Does your company use Webex for video conferences? What’s your experience with the platform? Let us know in the comment section below if there is a way to change your display name during a meeting.