How To Find What iOS Version is Running on an iPhone
Apple products are relatively user-friendly, but your device may run into some glitches, depending on the iOS version you have installed. Fortunately, most users have little difficulty checking their iPhone’s operating system and seeing whether there are available updates.
Keep reading to learn more.
How To Check Which iOS Version Is Running on Your iPhone
If you’re unsure which iOS version you’re using or want to check your iPhone’s compatibility with a new app, you can use the “Settings” app. It will bring up the necessary information and help you determine whether it’s time for a software update. Follow the steps below to find out what iOS version is installed on your iPhone:
- Launch the “Settings” app from your iPhone’s home screen.
- Scroll to the middle of the page and click on the “General” tab.
- Navigate to the upper part of the page and select the “Software Update” option.
- The new page will display information about your current operating system version.
You’ll also see whether there are any iOS updates available. If you’ve been having problems with your device, consider installing the update to smooth out the issues. Press the update to start the process.
The “Settings” app provides users with another way of checking the iPhone’s software version.
- Open the “Settings” app from the home screen.
- Scroll down, find the “General” page, and tap to open it.
- In the upper part of the page, select “About” from the list of options.
The new window will generate valuable data regarding your device, including the current iOS version and how much available storage space you have. Moreover, it will display your iPhone’s serial number, model name, and model number. Unfortunately, the “About” page contains no information about new updates, so you’ll have to refer to the “Software Update” page to learn that information.
If you’re away from your iPhone but are still curious about the software version, use your Macbook or Windows PC to find the answer.
- Launch the “Finder” on your Mac.
- Connect your iPhone to the Mac.
- Make sure the Mac locates your mobile device.
- Navigate to the “General” section. It will list your iPhone’s iOS version and inform you whether it’s up to date.
If you can’t see the software information under the “General” section, don’t panic. Depending on the model of your device, it sometimes appears in the “Summary” tab.
When your Macbook runs macOS Mojave or an earlier version, the below steps will help you find your iPhone’s software information:
- Launch the “Finder” from your desktop.
- Link your iPhone to the Mac using a USB tether cord.
- Check whether your Mac has recognized the mobile device.
- Find the “General” section and tap to open it.
You should see your iPhone’s software version at the top of the window. Additionally, the page will inform you whether you can install any new updates. If you can’t see the iOS version, go to the “Summary” page.
Sometimes your Macbook may fail to recognize the connected device. Here’s how to resolve the issue:
- Make sure that your iPhone is powered on and unlocked.
- Ensure that your Mac is running the newest software.
- Disconnect every USB accessory from the Mac except for your iPhone.
- If the USB port is malfunctioning, try using a different one to establish a stable connection.
- Reboot the Macbook and restart your iPhone.
Although the above steps should help your Mac recognize the connected iPhone, you may need to tweak its Apple settings. To do so:
- Connect your unlocked iPhone to the Mac.
- Select the “Finder” and choose the “Preferences” option from the menu bar.
- Click on “Sidebar” in the upper part of the “Preferences” page.
- Ensure that the “CDs, DVDs and iOS Devices” box is selected.
- Hold down the “Options” key and tap “System Information” in the Apple menu.
- Choose “USB” from the menu on the left part of the screen.
- If your iPhone appears under the “USB Device Tree” section, download the newest macOS or install available updates.
- If you can’t see your device, reach out to the Apple Support team.
It’s also possible to find your iPhone’s current iOS version using a Windows PC. You shouldn’t have much difficulty completing the task.
- Launch the “iTunes” program on your PC.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer with a USB cord.
- Check whether the computer has recognized your iPhone.
- Navigate to the “Summary” tab and find the software version.
The iOS version sometimes appears in the “Summary” section, so head there if you don’ see it under “General.”
Your PC may not recognize the connected device when working with outdated software. To prevent compatibility issues and ensure a stable connection, make sure you’re using the latest “iTunes” version. Moreover, always unlock your iPhone before connecting it to your PC.
Knowing which software version is installed on your iPhone is invaluable information that allows users to decide which apps to download and prevent compatibility problems. The good news is there are several ways you can find this information. The easiest method is using your iPhone’s “Settings” app. If, for some reason, you can’t access the app, your Macbook or Windows PC will help you check your iPhone’s software version.
Have you looked up your iPhone’s iOS version before? Which of the above methods did you use? Let us know in the comments section below.