How to Add Best Friends on Snapchat
If you’re looking for a simple way to turn Snapchat friends into “best friends,” you might be disappointed. Unfortunately, there’s no way to do so on the platform yourself. Depending on how much you interact with a particular contact, Snapchat will assign them the “best friend” label.
In this article, we’ll explain everything you need to know about adding best friends on Snapchat.
What Are Snapchat Best Friends?
Best Friends on Snapchat are people you chat and exchange snaps with the most. They’re the contacts that show up at the top of the “Send To” and “Chat” section, which makes it easier to find the people you interact with the most. You can have up to eight best friends, which will be updated depending on your interaction with them.
If you want to change the number of best friends, follow these few steps:
- Open the Snapchat app.
- Click on your profile icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Open “Settings” in the top right corner by clicking on the cogwheel icon.
- Scroll to the “Manage” button in the “Additional Services” section.
- Tap the “# of Best Friends.”
- Choose the number of best friends you want.
How to Manage Best Friends on Snapchat
Like adding best friends, Snapchat doesn’t allow you to delete them, either. If you wish to remove a friend from your best friends list, you can do so by not interacting with them for a while or by muting them. You can also do so by quickly deleting and then adding them again or blocking and unblocking them.
You can find these options by following these few simple steps:
- Launch the Snapchat app.
- Open the Chat screen by swiping left or clicking on the “Chat” icon at the bottom.
- Click on the icon of the contact you want to remove from your best friend list.
- Tap on the three horizontal dots in the top right corner
- Choose between muting, deleting, and blocking the contact.
Note: Deleting a contact won’t notify that user of your actions. However, when you block a contact, your messages will disappear, and they won’t be automatically added back to your friends list upon unblocking.
If you’re a subscriber of Snapchat+, however, there are more options you can explore. Snapchat+ allows you to use exclusive and experimental features or try out features before their release in the free app. One of which is the Best Friends Forever feature, which lets you pin one best friend as your number one best friend forever.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Launch the Snapchat app.
- Go to the Chat screen by swiping left or clicking on the “Chat” icon at the bottom.
- Press and hold the contact you want to make your Best Friend Forever.
- Select “Pin as your #1 Best Friend.”
Note: You can only have one contact as your Forever Best Friend at a time, but you can change it whenever you want.
How to Customize Best Friend Emojis
Your Snapchat best friends are all marked by a different emoji depending on your level of interaction. Here’s a list of each best friend emoji and what they mean:
- Two overlapping heart emojis: You and your friend have been each other’s “Super BFF” or number one best friend for two consecutive months.
- One red heart emoji: You and your friend have been each other’s number one best friend or “BFF” on Snapchat for two weeks in a row.
- One yellow heart: You and your friend are each other’s best friends, which means that you’ve sent the most snaps to one another.
- A smiley face emoji: This Snapchatter is one of your best friends, but not number one.
- A grimacing face emoji: You and this user have the same number one best friend.
- A smiling face with sunglasses emoji: You and this user have a mutual best friend.
If you’re not happy with Snapchat’s default emojis for your best friends or you wish not to see them, you can easily change them. The process is simple, but it’s a bit different on Android and iPhone devices.
On Android Devices
Customizing best friends on your Android phone is straightforward.
- Launch the Snapchat app.
- Click on your profile picture in the top left corner of the screen.
- Tap the cogwheel icon in the top right corner to access “Settings.”
- Scroll down to the “Privacy Control” section and find “Customise Emojis.”
- Now you can click on the emoji you want to change and pick the emoji you like.
On iPhone Devices
You can change the best friend emojis on iOS devices in just a few clicks.
- Open the Snapchat app.
- Select your profile picture in the top left corner of the screen.
- Click on the cogwheel icon in the top right corner to access “Settings.”
- Go to “Additional Services” section.
- Tap “Friend Emoji” and change the emojis you want.
If you wish to change the emojis back to their default version, just click on “Reset to default” in the same section where you customize the emojis.
How to See Someone’s Best Friends on Snapchat
You can’t see other people’s best friends on Snapchat. On the one hand, this gives you and other users more privacy and lets you interact with whomever you want. On the other hand, the emoji which shows mutual best friends or that someone is your best friend, but you’re not theirs, might stir an unpleasant conversation.
In addition, you can’t see if you’re someone’s friend or best friend on Snapchat unless you subscribe to Snapchat+. One of the features on Snapchat+ is the Friend Solar System, which shows you where you rank in their best friends’ list. When you go to their Friendship Profile and click on the “Best Friends” badge, it will show your icon as one of the planets in the Solar System. The planet’s position will mark your position on the user’s best friends list.
If the badge only says “Friends,” it means that you’re one of their best friends on Snapchat, but they’re not one of yours.
What are Snapchat Streaks?
Streaks are indicators of how much you’ve been snapping with a certain contact over time, which might help them get to your best friends’ list. The Streaks come in the form of small flame emojis next to the contact, and the number of flames shows the number of days you’ve been snapping with a person. If the flame turns into an hourglass emoji, it means that your Snapstreak is about to expire.
How often do I have to snap a friend to keep a Snapstreak going?
You and your friend need to exchange snaps at least once every 24 hours to avoid breaking the Snapstreak. Note that Snaps aren’t the same as chatting. Snapping in a group also doesn’t count toward individual snaps.
Can I restore my Snapstreak?
You can restore your Snapstreak once for free by clicking on the “Restore” button next to the user’s name if the Streak expired recently. You can also do so by tapping on a banner notifying you about the Streak expiration in the chat. If you want to restore your Streak multiple times, make an in-app purchase.
What’s the record for the longest Streak on Snapchat?
The record for the longest Streak is 2,794+ and belongs to Hannah and Lauren Luckey, who have been snapping each other consistently since 6 April 2015.
What happens when you reach the 1000th Streak on Snapchat?
Although crossing the 1,000th Snapchat Streak might sound impressive, nothing special happens. You and the other user only unlock the 1,000-day Snapchat Streak trophy and the 1,000-day fire emoji.
Although there’s not a simple way to turn your Snapchat friends into best friends, don’t lose hope. You can always keep snapping with your friends and try to make each other your Snapchat best friends. Monitor your progress by keeping an eye on the flame emojis, and make sure to keep your Streaks consistent. You might acquire a heart emoji very soon, and who knows, maybe you’ll even reach the 1,000th Streak.
Have you ever added a best friend on Snapchat? Do you use any of the tips featured in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.