How to Add and Remove People From Snapchat Groups
Like many other messaging platforms, Snapchat includes group chats. These group chats are handy and unique because of Snapchat’s specific messaging features. But what if you want to add or remove people from your Snapchat group?
Luckily, this can be done following some steps and methods. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps necessary to add and remove people from your Snapchat groups using different devices.
On an iPhone
Groups is a relatively new feature introduced by Snapchat. Users can now establish groups with up to 31 people to share moments and stay connected. You can add people to your group chat while creating a group. Fortunately, this is pretty straightforward when using an iPhone. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Snapchat application.
- In the bottom right corner of the chats screen, click on the new chat icon.
- Add as many friends as you wish to the group – a maximum of 31. You can only add users who are already on your Snapchat friends list.
- Give your group a name.
You can also add people later to your group by editing the group. To do so, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the camera screen and click on the bottom-left chat icon.
- At this point, touch and hold the group chat.
- From the menu that appears, select “More.”
- To add members to a group, click “Add Members to Group.”
- Now, pick the users you wish to add to your group.
You can see all users that are currently in your group by visiting the group settings. To view all group members, tap on the menu icon in the top left-hand corner. It will appear as the avatar of the group’s first member, with the group’s name. Additionally, you can see who is currently active in the group by glancing right above your keyboard on your phone.
Moreover, the Group Chats you’ve added people to will be accessible on the Friends Screen by default. If you are unable to locate it, you can use the search option. A fun fact is that when you create or are joined to a Group Chat, a Group Story is automatically generated.
When it comes to removing people from a Snapchat group, things aren’t so simple. As for now, there is no option to remove somebody directly. However, there are a couple of things you can do.
Create a New Group
You can always form a new group with everyone but the user you want to remove. Then everyone in the new group can exit the original group, leaving the unwanted individual. This is somewhat passive-aggressive, but it may be the only choice if the individual refuses to leave on their own.
Ask Them to Leave
The only way somebody can get removed from a group directly is the person in question leaving the group by themselves. So, asking the person to leave the group is an option. However, you may wish to avoid this since it may escalate the situation in some circumstances. But if they are willing to go, this does resolve the issue and allows you to keep the group alive.
Let the Group Expire
If no new snaps are added to the conversation, the group will automatically expire and vanish after 24 hours. Therefore, if you and other members choose to avoid a particular individual in the group chat, you may sit and wait it out.
Block the User
Blocking a user will delete them from the group but also your friends’ list. The person won’t be able to message you or access your account. To do so, go to the person’s profile and click on the three vertical dots. A menu will appear and tap on “Block,” which will be written in red. You can later unblock the user, but they won’t be your friend on Snapchat anymore unless you add them again.
On an Android Device
The Snapchat app for Android devices is identical to the iOS app. So, the steps for adding and removing people to your Snapchat groups will be similar.
To add someone to a Snapchat group right away, the steps are:
- Launch the Snapchat app.
- Click on the new chat button in the bottom right corner of the chats window.
- Add as many members to the group as you desire – a maximum of 31. You can only add individuals who are already listed as friends on Snapchat.
- Assign a name to your group.
Or if you already have a group and want to add someone, the steps are as follows:
- Navigate to the bottom-left chat icon.
- Long press on the group chat.
- From the following menu, click “More.”
- Click “Add Members to Group” to add people to your group.
- Select the individuals you want to add to your group.
There is also no direct way to remove somebody from a group. You can only try one of the previously mentioned techniques like creating a new group, asking the user to leave, waiting for the group to expire, or blocking the user.
On an iPad
Since iPads and iPhones use the same operating system, the Snapchat app is similar for both devices. Therefore, the steps for removing and adding people to groups are also similar. The following are the steps to add someone to a new Snapchat group using an iPad:
- Open the Snapchat app.
- In the bottom right-hand corner of the conversations window, tap the new chat button.
- Create the group with as many members as you like – up to 31. You can only add people who have previously been added as Snapchat friends.
- Give your group a name.
Alternatively, if you currently have an already-existing group and wish to add another member, follow these steps:
- Tap on the chat icon in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Hold down the group chat icon.
- Click “More” from the pop-up menu.
- To add members to your group, click “Add Members to Group.”
- Add members to your group by selecting them.
Additionally, there is no direct method of exclusion from a group. You may only attempt one of the above-suggested approaches, such as forming a new group, requesting that the user leaves, waiting for the group to expire, or blocking the user.
On a PC
Although Snapchat is optimized for mobile devices, many users have figured out how to access it through PC.
To use Snapchat on a computer, you must first download an Android emulator. An Android emulator replicates the Android operating system, enabling you to download and utilize mobile applications from the Google Play Store.
Bluestacks is a well-known and maybe the best-optimized Android emulator that mimics the functionality of an actual Android phone. Thus, here’s how you download and install the official Snapchat app for Windows using the Bluestacks emulator.
- Download and install the Bluestacks emulator on your PC using the.exe file.
- Once Bluestacks is installed, sign in with your Google account.
- Next, navigate to the Google Play Store and search for “Snapchat.”
- Download and install the app to begin using Snapchat.
You must first log into Snapchat and then access the chat window the same way you would on a phone. The steps to add someone to a new group from here are similar to doing so on an Android device.
- Click the new chat button in the bottom right-hand corner of the chats window.
- Add as many members as you wish to the group – up to 31. You can only add Snapchat buddies who have already been added.
- Add a name to your group.
Or, if you already have a group and desire to add another member, proceed as follows:
- In the bottom-left corner, click on the chat symbol.
- Click and hold the group chat icon.
- From the pop-up menu, select “More.”
- Click “Add People” to add members to your group.
- Select individuals to add to your group.
Likewise, there is no straightforward technique for removing group members. You can use one of the methods mentioned above, such as creating a new group, asking the user to leave, waiting for the group to expire, or blocking the user.
Keep Your Groups Safe
Even though snaps and chats disappear after 24 hours, and you get notified if somebody screenshots the chat, be careful when adding members to your group. Mainly because there is no straightforward way to remove somebody from a group. Think about who you wish to see you and your other friends’ snaps and chats and who you want to be able to add to the conversation.
If somebody is offensive or even insulting in the group and refuses to leave, the best solution can be to block that user. You can also report users and messages.
Do you have a Snapchat group? Do you prefer group or individual chats? Let us know in the comment section!