How To Add a Caption in BeReal
BeReal is quickly becoming the go-to app for those interested in a minimalistic approach to social media. The app promises a filter-free experience, encouraging users only to post candid snaps of their daily lives. Since it lacks the filters and editing features of its competitors like Instagram, users need to rely on captions to add context and personality to their posts.
Because the app hasn’t been around for long, some users may struggle to get the hang of captioning their uploads. Fortunately, the process is straightforward, regardless of your mobile device. Read on to learn more.
Captions in BeReal – Why They’re Important
Many think that the BeReal app is an indicator of the future of social media. At first glance, it looks identical to Instagram and Snapchat. However, after downloading the app, you’ll notice several distinct differences.
Unlike the popular Instagram, BeReal doesn’t allow users to post multiple times per day. The app has introduced a unique notification system that asks all users to post at the same time. So, instead of posting images whenever you want, you’ll receive a prompt alerting you that it’s time to post a BeReal upload. When you click the notification, the app will access your front and back camera, giving you two minutes to take your photo.
So, many of your BeReal posts will be unglamorous. While you can take your time tweaking your other social media posts, BeReal lacks such editing frills. You might be reading in bed or making breakfast, depending on when you get the app notification. These mundane activities rarely make it to other apps. But BeReal is all about the ordinary parts of life. Since the app lacks the advanced features of other platforms, how do you provide more information about your uploads to your friends? Well, BeReal lets users add captions to their posts, so you can give context to your uploads and describe what you’re doing.
It’s one of the simplest ways to get creative on the app since you can’t play with filters and effects. You can make jokes about the view from your front or back camera, encourage friends to engage with you in the comments section, or provide more details about your activities.
Since BeReal works well on different operating systems, you can add captions from your iOS or Android device.
How To Add a Caption in BeReal on an iPhone
BeReal is a relatively new app, and some users may need time to get used to its features. If you’ve installed the app on your iPhone, you shouldn’t have much difficulty captioning your posts. After you receive your daily BeReal prompt, attaching text to your snapshot only takes a few clicks. Here’s what you need to do:
- Tap the app notification at the top of your iPhone’s screen.
- Take the photos within the app’s two-minute window.
- When you’re ready to move on, upload your post.
- Navigate to the bottom of the upload and select the “Add a caption…” option to generate a keyboard.
- Think about what you want to say about your photos and type the appropriate caption.
- When you’re satisfied with the caption, press the blue send button in the right side of the interface to save it.
If you’re unsure what to write in the caption, you don’t have to type it immediately after uploading your photos. You can leave it and return to it later when you’ve thought about the best message. Additionally, if you’re dissatisfied with the original caption, you don’t have to delete the complete BeReal post. You can just edit the caption, and that’s it, problem solved. Follow the steps below to edit your BeReal caption:
- Launch the BeReal app from your home screen and head to your uploads.
- Go through the photos until you spot the post with the caption you want to change.
- Tap the caption next to the post to open the editing window.
- Modify the caption and press the send button at the right of the screen when you’re happy with the changes.
How to Add a Caption in BeReal on an Android Device
BeReal’s simplicity is one of the reasons for the app’s popularity, and it has attracted many Android users. Since BeReal is different from other social media platforms, learning how to use the app can involve a learning curve. But captioning posts on your Android device is relatively quick and easy, and you can customize your posts in just a few minutes. Here’s what you need to do:
- After receiving the BeReal prompt, tap the notification to launch the app.
- Take your photos within the app’s two-minute timeframe.
- If you’re happy with your snaps, upload them to the app.
- Head to the bottom of your post and press the “Add a caption…” option.
- In the editing window, enter your caption.
- When you’re ready to move on, select the small check at the top of the screen to save the text.
The caption should now appear next to your BeReal post.
Of course, you don’t have to caption your uploads immediately. If you’re feeling uninspired, take as long as you like until you think of the perfect caption. BeReal won’t lock the initial caption, so you can edit it whenever you want. Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Tap the app icon from your home screen to open the app.
- Go to your uploads and find the caption you want to edit.
- Select the caption beside the post to bring up the editing window.
- Edit the text until you’re happy with the new caption.
- Tap the checkmark at the top of the app to save the changes.
Who can see my captions in BeReal?
When you make a BeReal account, anything you post is private by default. Only your friends can see your photos and the associated captions. However, you can change these settings and make your uploads public. When you post an image to the Discovery timeline, it will reach other BeReal users, not just your friends. They’ll also be able to see the caption you’ve added to your post.
While it’s fun to share your posts publicly occasionally, the app will also display your geolocation. If you’re uncomfortable with strangers knowing your approximate location, it’s best to stick to the app’s default settings.
Elevate Your BeReal’s With Creative Captions
Although it features a simple interface, BeReal has managed to keep up with industry giants like Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook. Because it doesn’t have as many features as its competitors, many users add a dash of fun and creativity to their BeReal uploads with interesting captions. Since the app works well on iOS and Android devices, you can easily caption your posts on your smartphone.
Do you have a BeReal account? Which features attracted you the most? Let us know in the comments section below.