How to Add Dialogue to a TikTok Video
Standing out from the crowd on TikTok isn’t an easy thing to do. You’ll need to use all available techniques to distinguish yourself from the rest. Adding dialogue, whether audio or text, is certainly a step in the right direction.
In this article, we’ll show you how you can add dialogue to a TikTok video.
Adding Audio Dialogue
If you’re lucky, the audio you want may already be in the TikTok sounds library. You can search for it by tapping the + button on the bottom of the screen and then tapping on Sounds at the top. Enter the title of the audio you’re trying to find, then tap on the magnifying glass to search.
If you want to use original dialogues, or simply can’t find the one you want to use, you can either use the Voiceover function to add it in, or edit a dialogue clip to add to your new video. To do either, follow these steps:
Using the Voiceover Function
- Record your TikTok video, then tap on the checkmark when you’re done.
- Tap on Voiceover.
- You’ll now be shown the Voiceover editing screen. Tapping or long pressing on the record button will allow you to record a voiceover. You can move the slider to find a specific portion of your clip to record dialogue onto.
- Tap on Save to finish editing your voiceover, then tap on Next to proceed.
- Edit your posting information, then tap on Post to upload it, or on Drafts to further edit it later.
Using an edited audio dialogue clip
- Record an audio dialogue in video or find a clip with a dialogue you want to use.
- Edit the video using a third-party app. TikTok only has limited editing tools, and to properly edit audio dialogue, you’ll have to use another app or even a PC if you want the timing just right. Once you’re done, transfer the edited clip to your mobile if it isn’t there already.
- Open the TikTok app and tap on +.
- Tap on Upload. It’s the icon to the right of Record.
- Upload the clip with the audio dialogue you want to use.
- Tap on Next, then tap on Next again. You can choose to make this video Private if you want, just tap on Who can view this video, then choose Private. Once you’re done tap on Post.
- Return to your profile, find the video you uploaded then tap on it.
- Tap on the icon on the lower right side, then tap Add to Favorites, then tap OK.
- Record your new video on TikTok, then click on the checkmark when you’re done.
- Tap on Sounds. It’s in the bottom left of your screen.
- Tap on Favorites, then look for your uploaded audio dialogue. Tap on it, then tap on the checkmark.
- You’ll have the choice to further edit the video here. Once you’re done, tap on Next, then tap on Post.
Adding Captions or Subtitles
If, instead of adding audio dialogue you want to add Subtitles, you can also do this in two ways, either adding it manually on TikTok, or using a third-party app to add the captions in, then upload that video to TikTok. Here’s how to do so:
Using a third-party app
Third-party sites like Veed has tools that you can use to edit in caption to the video. This is easier and less time consuming than having to do it on TikTok itself. There are other apps and sites out there that will do the same thing to your clips. One disadvantage though is that the captions become coded into the clip itself, so TikTok won’t be able to use the information for keyword searching.
This is the long way of putting in text dialogue, but it has the advantage of letting TikTok use any of the text you put in to index the clip for keywords. This is great if you want the clip to be discoverable by people searching for specific words. To do manual input, follow these steps:
- Record a TikTok Video. Once you’re done, tap on the checkmark.
- Tap on Text on the lower portion of the screen.
- Type in your subtitles. It’ll be easier to do phrases rather than single words if only to reduce the work you’ll have to do. But if you want to type in single words for emphasis, you can do so.
- Tap outside of the keyboard to place the text on the screen. Drag the caption to the place you want it to go.
- Tap on the text itself to open the options. Tap on Set duration.
- Use the sliders both on the left and the right to set the time that the captions appear and disappear. Once you’re done, tap on the checkmark.
- Repeat the process for the entire clip by tapping on text again, then editing it as it suits your needs.
- Once done, tap on Next, then proceed to Post.
- Your subtitled clip is now available on TikTok.
A Tool for Creativity
Adding dialogues to TikTok clips is just another tool to show off your creativity when making videos. It isn’t easy to catch the eye of the millions of users on the platform, but having all these options available is a good thing. The more you exercise your imagination, the better you’ll get at doing them.
Do you have any tips and tricks on how to add dialogue to a TikTok video? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.