How to Add Money to Google Play
While there’s no shortage of free content available on Google Play, you do have to reach for the wallet from time to time. That’s why it can’t hurt to keep an emergency fund on your account, in case you run into something particularly exciting.
Luckily, learning how to add money on Google Play is a piece of cake. Apart from several different payment methods, the store also provides you with occasional gift cards and promo codes. In this article, we’ll guide you through the four most common ways to pour some cash into your account with step-by-step instructions.
How to Add Money on Google Play?
Google Play is one of the biggest online stores in the world, with a seemingly endless library of games, books, movies, and more. Thousands of developers regularly contribute to the ever-growing selection of free apps. Of course, that doesn’t mean Google Play is immune to in-app purchases and paid content.
When you create an account, you get to choose a preferred payment method. Much like other eCommerce websites, you can connect a credit or a debit card to make purchases. There’s also an app called PayTM specifically made for such transactions.
If you’re reluctant to connect your bank account to an online store, don’t worry; there’s still a way to add a balance to your account. All you need is a gift card containing a promo code, and you’ll be able to purchase without submitting your financial info.
To get the full scope of all these different methods, keep reading.
PayTM is one of the most widespread mobile eCommerce and mobile payment apps. The Indian-developed platform offers a wide range of services that perform splendidly with most online marketplaces. Using the PayTM Wallet feature, you can make purchases across different platforms. The best part is, there are no extra costs.
Needless to say, you can use the Android version of the app to finance your love of games, books, movies, and other paid Google Play content. However, to actually make the purchase, you have to have a registered PayTM account. From there, you can proceed to add money by following these simple steps:
- Open Play Store and use the search function to find PayTM. Download the app to your phone.
- Once installed launch PayTM and create an account.
- From the app home screen, select “PayTM Wallet.” Enter the amount you want to add to your Play Store account.
- Select a payment method (credit or debit card, BHIM UPI). Wait for the confirmation notification to appear on the screen.
- Go back to the home screen and tap on “All Services.”
- Scroll through the sidebar and select the “Discover with PayTM” option. Find “Google Play Recharge” on the page.
- Enter the amount you want to add and click “Proceed.” Google Play allows you to recharge between $100-$1500 in one single go.
- You’ll receive a text message containing the recharge code. Copy the digits to your clipboard.
- Reopen the Google Play Store app and go to the redeem page.
- Paste the recharge code and tap “Confirm” to complete the purchase.
As mentioned, you don’t have to link your bank account to Google Play Store to spend money. Instead, you can buy gift cards and use them to make in-app purchases.
The code is usually located on the back of the card, but sometimes you’ll get it in an email message, depending on your chosen method of delivery. Once you acquire the gift card, you can use it to add money to your account. Here’s how to do it with your Android device:
- Launch the Google Play Store app on your phone.
- Tap the three horizontal lines to open the actions menu.
- Scroll through the list and choose “Redeem” from the list of options.
- A small pop-up window will appear. Enter the digits on the dialog line and tap “Redeem” again.
- To complete the recharge, tap “Confirm.”
You can also redeem the code as you’re making the purchase:
- Start the transaction and tap the Google Play icon to choose a payment method.
- An options window will appear. Select to make the purchase by redeeming the code.
- Enter the digits from your gift card, then tap “Redeem.”
- To finalize the purchase, then tap “Confirm.”
If you received the gift card via email, you don’t have to leave the app to redeem the code. This can come in handy, especially if you’re shopping on your laptop. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the message that contains the code.
- Click on the redirect link that acts as a redeem button. Usually, it reads “eGift center.”
- To verify it’s your gift card, type your email address in the dialog box.
- Click the link under the code to redirect you to the Google Play website.
- Validate your account to add the money to your account.
Keep in mind, Google Play gift cards aren’t available in all countries and regions. To check whether your area is included on the store’s list, take a look at this website.
Probably the easiest way to add money to your Google Play account is to connect it with your credit card. After all, it’s the most widespread payment method for most online transactions. Also, you only have to enter the data once, and the store will save it for all future purchases.
Here’s how to add your credit card to Google Play:
- Open the Play Store app and tap on the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner.
- Scroll through the list of options and open the “Payment Methods” tab.
- Tap to “Add Payment Method” and select “Credit Card” from the list of options.
- A slew of detailed on-screen instructions will appear. Follow them carefully and submit the required information. Make sure to enter the correct digits for your credit card number and bank account.
- After you completed all the steps, the payment method will be added to your account.
In case you don’t want to use your credit card to buy a particular product, you can change the payment method during the transaction. It’s pretty straightforward, not to mention super convenient:
- Go to the detail page of the item you want to buy.
- Open the price and review permission section.
- Under the product title, tap the little downward arrow to open a drop-down list. Select “Payment Methods.”
- Deselect your credit card and choose a different method. Complete the purchase once you’re done.
There’s also the option to use your debit card for in-app purchases. Just follow the same steps from the previous section; only this time, go for a different method:
- Access the actions menu and select “Payment Methods.”
- Go to Add payments > Debit Card.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions.
If you’ve changed your mind and would like to remove your debit card info from Google Play, here’s how to do it:
- Open the actions menu and go to “Payment Methods.”
- Select “More Payment Settings” from the list of options. If prompted, sign in to pay.google.com.
- Under “Debit Card,” tap the “Remove” button. Confirm you want to delete the method from your account.
How to Check Google Play Account Balance?
When it comes to Play Store, you can always keep track of your funds. The online marketplace is super transparent, allowing you to access your balance in a matter of seconds. Here’s how to check how much money you have on your account:
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner. From the options menu, choose “Account.”
- A new window will appear. Tap “Payment Methods.” Your balance is displayed at the top of the page.
How Do I Transfer Google Play Funds to Another Account?
Unfortunately, you can’t transfer funds to another Google Play account. The online store doesn’t allow the exchange of currency or gift card codes. Each user has to submit their own information to complete a transaction, regardless of the payment method.
If you want to share your content, however, you can create a “Family Library.” That way, your loved ones will be able to access some of your purchased items, but that’s pretty much it. Also, the feature only works with movies and apps. Any music you have on your account will be off-limits.
Money Makes the World Go Around
Google Play is a trustworthy online store that lets you choose a payment method you’re most comfortable with. If you have a credit card you strictly use for online purchases, you can connect it to your account without a hitch. On the other hand, those reluctant to share your bank account info can use gift cards instead. There’s even the option to recharge via PayTM Wallet, so it’s really a matter of personal preference.
Of course, there are some restrictions. For example, transferring money from one account to another is sadly impossible. But with the number of free apps, movies, music, and books – that’s not too tragic.
Have you ever bought something from the Google Play Store? What are your thoughts on PayTM? Comment below and tell us what you consider the safest payment method.