How To Adjust Video Quality in Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime is known for its high-quality movies and TV series, but those who don’t have a high-speed network for streaming may wish to tweak the quality to save mobile data. Or you may want to do the opposite – enhance the quality for a better viewing experience. If any of this resonates with you, you’re not alone.
This can be a frustrating situation, and it happens to many people. But luckily, we’re here to offer solutions. The process of changing the video quality on Amazon Prime is actually very straightforward and doesn’t require any specific technical skills. In this article, we share detailed instructions on adjusting the video quality across devices.
How to Adjust Video Quality in Amazon Prime on a Firestick
The latest Firestick update makes it possible to choose between a range of data monitoring options and keep track of the data your streaming device uses. You can choose between three video quality settings. Normally, the device selects the best quality according to your internet speed.
But if you want to change these settings, follow the steps below:
- On your Firestick, navigate to Settings, then Preferences.
- Open the Data Monitoring section.
- Select Data monitoring again to make sure it’s on.
- Navigate to the Set Video Quality section.
- You’ll see three options here: Good, Better, and Best. Select the quality you want.
- Hit the Home button on the Amazon Firestick to save the settings and go back to your home screen.
Note: Be careful about using Data Monitoring at its “Best” if your data package is limited. This can result in depleting your data allotment.
How to Adjust Video Quality in Amazon Prime on a Roku
Does your Amazon Prime video quality keep diminishing on your Roku device? Unless the issue is in your Wi-Fi or mobile data network, you can easily change the quality by following the steps below:
- Turn on your Roku device.
- Navigate to the Roku Home page.
- Go to Settings, then Choose Display Type.
In this section, you’ll get to change the video resolution and the frame rate. You can choose from 720 HD to 4K HDR 30Hz. Simply click on the option you want.
If your Roku device doesn’t allow you to adjust the video quality, you can tweak the internet bandwidth and adjust the video quality manually:
- Log into your router (TP-Link or D-Link).
- Navigate to the traffic control panel.
- Get the IP address of your Roku device.
- Insert the Mac or IP address on the traffic control panel.
- Manually enter bandwidth limitations according to your needs.
Amazon Prime Video recommends a download speed of at least 5 MB/s for HD and 1 MB/s for SD content.
How to Adjust Video Quality in Amazon Prime on an Apple TV
To adjust the video quality of any downloaded app on your Apple TV, you need to tweak the video resolution settings within that app.
Perhaps you’re concerned about your data usage and want to reduce it. As long as you watch content on the 720p resolution or less, you’ll be on the safe side most of the time.
Here’s how much data each video resolution uses:
- 480p (SD) – 0.7 GB per hour
- 720p (HD) – 1 to 2.5 GB per hour
- 1080p (HD) – 1.5 to 3 GB per hour
- 4K (UHD) – 8 GB per hour
Whether you want to enhance or lower your video quality on Amazon Prime, here’s how you can do so:
- Open the Amazon Prime app on your Apple TV.
- Go to the Settings page, then navigate to Streaming and Downloading.
- Choose between HD or SD.
If your Prime Video keeps showing low-quality videos after adjusting the settings, there may be an issue with your internet speed, HDMI cable, or bandwidth speed.
How to Adjust Video Quality in Amazon Prime on a PC
Amazon Prime normally picks the best resolution depending on the network speed. But if you wish to tweak these settings manually, you can easily do so on a PC. You’re most likely watching the content from your browser, so the steps are the same for Windows, Mac, and other devices.
- Start Amazon Prime Video on your preferred browser.
- Select the content of your choice.
- When the video begins, hit the Options icon that looks like a gear. You’ll see it in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- You’ll see three options in the Video Quality menu: Good (480p – uses 0.38 GB per hour), Better (720p – uses 1.40 GB per hour), Best (Full HD – uses 6.84 GB per hour). Choose the one you prefer based on the amount of data you feel comfortable spending.
If Prime Video still shows poor-quality videos after changing the settings, then you may be dealing with an issue with your internet speed, HDMI cable, or bandwidth speed.
How to Adjust Video Quality in Amazon Prime on a Mobile Device
You can change Amazon Prime Video quality on any mobile device that supports the Prime Video App.
However, note that you can’t adjust the quality of individual videos on Amazon Prime. Instead, you have to use the main settings page.
We’ll provide detailed instructions valid for both iOS and Android devices.
- Start the Prime Video App on your iOS or Android phone.
- To change your video quality, connect to your Wi-Fi. The content will automatically play in Full HD.
- To change the settings manually, navigate to My Stuff at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen and hit the Gear icon to open the settings. Select the Stream and Download Option.
- Hit Streaming Quality Settings.
- You can choose between four quality options: data saver, good, better, and best. Make the choice that works best for you.
Note that after Step 1, you may get a message at the bottom of the screen saying that the app restricts streaming in SD quality while using cellular networks. This is a part of Amazon’s efforts to reduce the strain on mobile networks in general.
Additionally, you can toggle the Use the highest quality on Wi-Fi option on the settings screen if you find this option convenient.
If changing the settings didn’t help adjust the quality of your Amazon Prime video, then the issue may be in your Wi-Fi network.
Amazon Prime According to Your Needs
It’s not always convenient to watch Amazon Prime content in default quality. Sometimes, you may need to adjust the settings to match your mobile network possibilities. Fortunately, it’s relatively straightforward to make the changes. Most of the time, the process involves navigating to the settings on the Prime app or those of your device and adjusting the video quality options there.
Now there’s nothing stopping you from enjoying your favorite content according to your needs and preferences!
Why did you have to adjust the video quality of your Amazon Prime? Did you wish to enhance or lower it? Share your experience in the comments section below.