How to Block YouTube in Google Chrome
From astonishing incidents to popular cat antics, YouTube has presented the world with some great videos. But sometimes, clicking through the thousands of videos watching hilarious, shocking, and amazing content can distract you from important responsibilities.
Would it be great to block YouTube on Google Chrome to eliminate that distraction and get on with your work? Well, it is possible. In fact, there are a couple of ways you can block a website like YouTube in a couple of easy steps. And good news – if you change your mind, you have the option to unblock the website.
This guide will show you various ways you can block YouTube from Google Chrome. We will also go through the process of blocking YouTube channels and some additional options that you have.
No matter which method you choose, each option will effectively restrict access to YouTube or any other website you would like to block. We will go through the process of blocking YouTube using each method.
Changing Site Permissions
If you change site permissions, you get many more options than just blocking the entire website. To block YouTube using site settings, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Go to YouTube.
- Click on the lock icon on the left side of the URL.
- Choose “Site settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to “Your device use.”
- Click on the “Ask (default)” box.
- Select “Block.”
There are several other features you can block on the site settings page, such as notifications, automatic downloads, location, camera, microphone, ads, background sync, and much more. If you change your mind, return to this page and select the “Allow” option.
How to Block YouTube on Google Chrome on a Desktop
To block YouTube on Google Chrome completely, you can install an app called Mobicip. Not only does this app allow you to block an entire website, but you can also use it to limit screen time, track location, and manage other apps. You can use this parental-control app if you are a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook user.
Once you create an account for this app, here’s what you need to do next:
- Open Mobicip on your browser and log in.
- Click on the “Family” tab on the top menu.
- Scroll down until you see “Websites.”
- Click on the arrow on the right side.
- Under “Blocked websites,” type in “
- Click “Block.”
If you change your mind, it’s easy to unblock any app by adding it to the “Allowed apps” list. One great feature this app has to offer is the ability to connect it to multiple devices. That way, you can choose which users have limitations and which don’t.
How to Block YouTube on Google Chrome on an iPhone or Android
You can also use this app for iOS and Android devices. It even gives you the option to block certain apps before they’re even installed on your child’s device. Here’s how you can use it to block YouTube:
- Open Mobicip on a mobile device.
- Go to the three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Choose “My Family.”
- Go to the profile of the person from whom you want to block YouTube.
- Choose “Social apps.”
- Find YouTube on the list.
- Toggle the switch.
You can also find YouTube under “Videos” and “Mobile apps.” However, keep in mind that if you choose “Mobile apps,” you will still be able to access YouTube from your phone’s browser.
How to Block YouTube on Google Chrome With a Browser Extension?
Another way you can block YouTube on Google Chrome is with a browser extension. This is how it’s done:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Go to the Google Chrome Web Store.
- Type in “
Site Blocker” in the search bar.
- Choose the “Site Blocker” extension from the list of options.
- Click on the “Add to Chrome” button on the right.
- Go to “Add extension” on the pop-up window.
You’ve successfully downloaded the browser extension. Now it’s time to use it to block YouTube. Follow the steps below to find out how:
- Go to YouTube.
- Click on the extensions icon in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Next to “Site Blocker,” click on the three dots.
- Choose “Block this site.”
That’s all there is to it. You can use this Chrome extension to virtually block any website or platform. If you change your mind, unblocking them is very easy.
How can I just block a YouTube Channel?
Blocking a YouTube channel is very simple, but you will need to have a YouTube account to do it. Here’s how it’s done:
1. Open YouTube.
2. Type in the name of the channel that you want to block.
3. Go to the “About” section on their YouTube profile.
4. Scroll down until you see a flag icon on the bottom-right side of your screen.
5. Select “Block user.”
6. Click on “Submit.”
To block a YouTube channel on your mobile app, do the following:
1. Open the YouTube app.
2. Tap on the magnifying glass icon in the upper-left corner of your screen.
3. Search for the YouTube channel that you want to block.
4. Open one of their videos and go to their username under the video.
5. Slide on the top menu and choose “About.”
6. Tap on the three dots in the upper-right corner.
7. Select “Block User.”
Can I just block the YouTube domain from my computer entirely?
It’s also possible to block YouTube in all computer browsers, but this process is much more technical compared to other methods from this guide. You will need to access your computer’s host file. The host file’s location for Windows is “
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc,” and for Mac, the host file is in the device’s Terminal.
To block YouTube in all computer browsers, follow the steps below:
1. Open your host file.
2. Type in “
127.0.0.1” at the very bottom.
3. Press the “Tab” key on your keyboard.
4. Type in “
5. Press “Enter.”
6. Type in “
127.0.0.1” again and press “Tab.”
7. Type in “
myoutube.com” and press “Enter.”
8. Click “File” in the upper-left corner of the file.
9. Select “Save as…”
10. Choose “Text Documents.”
11. In the drop-down menu, choose “All files.”
12. Choose the “hosts” file and then “Save.”
13. Confirm that you want to save it.
At this point, you should restart your device. The next time you turn it on, YouTube will be blocked from all computer browsers.
Forget About Wasting Your Time on YouTube
Now you know how to block YouTube from Google Chrome on all your devices. You also know how to block a YouTube channel and how to block YouTube from all computer browsers. Now you can relax, knowing that you or your kids won’t waste any more time on this addictive platform.
Have you ever blocked YouTube from Google Chrome before? Did you use any of the methods explained in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.