How to Cancel a Subscription on Squarespace
Squarespace helps you build a unique website that provides an excellent user experience for your customers. In the US alone, there are over two million websites hosted on this platform.
However, over time, you may decide another solution would suit you better. In that case, you’ll want to cancel your Squarespace subscription. If you need assistance with that, this article will guide you through the process.
Cancel Your Squarespace Subscription Step by Step
According to the official information from Squarespace, there are two ways to cancel your subscription. You can either disable the auto-renew feature or cancel the subscription altogether.
We’re going to provide you with instructions on how to do both.
1. How to Disable Auto-Renew
Disabling auto-renew works best if you want to cancel your subscription after your current billing period ends. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Sign in to your Squarespace account and click on the “Home Menu.”
- From this menu, choose “Settings. “
- Find “Billing & Account” and click to open, then select “Billing.”
- Go to the “Subscriptions” section and find “Website” and “Store” options, depending on which type of website you have.
- Locate the “Auto-Renew” option and uncheck the box next to it.
- Select “Save” to confirm the changes you’ve made.
2. How to Cancel the Subscription
But what if you want to cancel your subscription immediately? Before you start with this process, you should know that your website will go into offline mode upon completion, and your online store will be disabled right away.
- Log in to your Squarespace account and go to the “Home menu.”
- Select “Settings.”
- In this menu, find “Billing & Account“ and click to open.
- Select “Billing“ and find your website subscription under the “Subscriptions“ section.
- Depending on your website’s type (Website or Commerce), you’ll see what your plan is and how you’re billed, as well as some more details about your billing.
- Below these details, click on “Cancel website subscription.”
- On the next screen, choose the reason why you’re canceling the subscription. You can skip this step if you don’t feel like sharing that information.
- A new panel with your other active subscriptions will appear. You can review them now, especially if they’re connected to your website. You can cancel them directly or come back later. Click “Continue.”
- Verify that you want to cancel the subscription by clicking on “Cancel Subscription.” That’s the last step, and your subscription is now canceled.
Read the section below to find out more about Squarespace subscriptions and plans.
If I Cancel a Site Subscription, What Happens to My Member Areas?
Even if you cancel your website subscription and your website is offline, you’ll still have access to some subscriptions. Your Member Areas is one of them – you can log in to this panel and visit member profiles and check out past sales. You can do so as long as you keep this subscription active.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eHowever, since the memberships will be canceled, members won’t be able to access your content anymore. You won’t be able to charge them for the following period, either. It’s up to you to reach out to the members and let them know about the pause.
If I Cancel a Site Subscription, What Should I Do With My Custom Domain?
There are a few things to do with your custom domain if you cancel your website subscription. You can transfer it to a new provider, keep the domain on the expired website and manage it via Squarespace, or find another Squarespace website for your domain.
Will Squarespace Keep My Site or Store Content in Case I Come Back?
You have 30 days to change your mind about Squarespace. The platform will keep your content during this period even though your website is offline.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eHowever, be aware that this option is only available if you don’t opt for the permanent deletion of your website. In case you choose the latter, you won’t be able to recover your content.
How Do I Cancel My Squarespace Trial?
If you’re no longer interested in the Squarespace trial, you can easily cancel it by doing the following:u003cbru003eu003cbru003e• Open the trial you’d like the cancel from the “Account“ dashboard.u003cbru003e• Click on the “Home Menu” and then find “Settings.”u003cbru003eu003cimg class=u0022wp-image-245760u0022 style=u0022width: 400px;u0022 src=u0022https://www.alphr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Screenshot_2-110.pngu0022 alt=u0022u0022u003eu003cbru003e• From there, choose “Billing u0026amp; Account” and select “Billing.”u003cbru003eu003cimg class=u0022wp-image-245761u0022 style=u0022width: 400px;u0022 src=u0022https://www.alphr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Screenshot_3-93.pngu0022 alt=u0022u0022u003eu003cbru003e• Select the “Cancel Trial” option and choose a reason why you want to do it. This step is optional.u003cbru003eu003cimg class=u0022wp-image-245764u0022 style=u0022width: 400px;u0022 src=u0022https://www.alphr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Screenshot_6-57.pngu0022 alt=u0022u0022u003eu003cbru003e• Confirm your action by clicking on “Cancel Trial.”u003cbru003eu003cimg class=u0022wp-image-245766u0022 style=u0022width: 400px;u0022 src=u0022https://www.alphr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Screenshot_8-62.pngu0022 alt=u0022u0022u003eu003cbru003e• You’ll be notified that your website is expired now, and so will be your website visitors.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eNote: You can also delete the trial by choosing the “Delete Site” option under “Billing u0026amp; Account.” If you change your mind, you can come back and create a new website any time.
What Happens if I Disable Auto-Renew?
If you have one of the following subscriptions, it will renew automatically:u003cbru003eSquarespace domains, website subscriptions, member areas, email campaigns, scheduling, and Google Workspace email address.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eWhen you disable the auto-renew option for one of these subscriptions, your subscription will expire when your current billing cycle ends.
Cancel Your Subscriptions in a Few Clicks
As you can see, canceling your Squarespace subscription only takes a minute or two. The good news is that your content will stay there if you change your mind about the website within 30 days upon the cancelation. Your website might be online, but your member profiles and web content are still accessible, and you can recover them. And if you’re sure you want to cancel the subscription altogether, it’s effective immediately.
Have you been thinking about deleting your Squarespace website? Share your experience with this platform in the comments section below.